DK Firearms

Are rifles & carbines the best type of firearms for home defense?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Are rifles & carbines the best type of firearms for home defense?

• YES

Votes: 6 20.7%
    • NO

Votes: 23 79.3%

• Total voters

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    In the two prison comments, why were the shotguns not loaded?
    When I was a bus driver I drove a lot of state prisoner transportation.
    When a C.O. had a gun it was ready to shoot.
    In my case I had a hand gun and an officer with a rifle. Also being around inmates that close that's just they way we operated. Over watch is always chamberd.

You hear lots of stories about the impact of racking a shotgun, it's mostly theater except in prison. I have seen small riots instantly stop with the racking of a shotgun. Just another step on continuum of force. A useful one at that.

Your CO isnt on a moving bus with a chambered shotgun or rifle in hand. That's just stupid. Just like in police cars long guns are full mags empty chamberd. Hand guns are different of course.

When transporting inmates on buses and we couldnt unload in a Sally port the shot gun officer usually chamberd a round, sometimes on the bus to phuck with them. Otherwise it's full mag empty chamber. A pump gun can be loaded faster than you can shoulder it.

Chain gangs had officers on horseback and they usually chamberd rounds, for us anyways but they were way far from the inmates, 100 yards or so. Even working perimeter patrol I kept my shotgun with a loaded mag empty chamber.

Even tactical units and the DART teams I commanded kept shotguns empty chamberd till we advanced. Everyone is puckered up pretty tight going into a riot. One guy tripped and fired a round in the chow hall. Luckily it was rubber ball buck and it hit the ground first.

I'm sure some place probably does it different.
    DK Firearms

single stack

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2011
    FL
    In my case I had a hand gun and an officer with a rifle. Also being around inmates that close that's just they way we operated. Over watch is always chamberd.

You hear lots of stories about the impact of racking a shotgun, it's mostly theater except in prison. I have seen small riots instantly stop with the racking of a shotgun. Just another step on continuum of force. A useful one at that.

Your CO isnt on a moving bus with a chambered shotgun or rifle in hand. That's just stupid. Just like in police cars long guns are full mags empty chamberd. Hand guns are different of course.

When transporting inmates on buses and we couldnt unload in a Sally port the shot gun officer usually chamberd a round, sometimes on the bus to phuck with them. Otherwise it's full mag empty chamber. A pump gun can be loaded faster than you can shoulder it.

Chain gangs had officers on horseback and they usually chamberd rounds, for us anyways but they were way far from the inmates, 100 yards or so. Even working perimeter patrol I kept my shotgun with a loaded mag empty chamber.

Even tactical units and the DART teams I commanded kept shotguns empty chamberd till we advanced. Everyone is puckered up pretty tight going into a riot. One guy tripped and fired a round in the chow hall. Luckily it was rubber ball buck and it hit the ground first.

I'm sure some place probably does it different.
    For us, the gun went up to the tower before we entered the sally port and was sent back down in the basket when we were outside again. On the rare occasion when we were boarded by the state police, they came on with shotguns. They cycled up before entering.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    I disagree the best defense weapon is the one you can lay hands on at the exact second you need it and it fulfills the purpose. Be it a bat, hammer, gun, knife, whatever.

avvidclif,

AGREED 100%. = When I lived in VZ in the late 1980s, my gardener caught a housebreaker "halfway into a downstairs window" & thereafter struck the criminal several times on the legs/feet with a shovel. = When the police arrived, the criminal bitterly complained that my employee had "beat him up", without just cause. =The policemen LOL & took the crook right on to jail.
    (When I heard the story later that evening, I was AMUSED.)

yours, satx

Top Bottom