Lynx Defense

Are side rails on the AKM a 'thing' or not?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • motorcarman

Compulsive Collector
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 13, 2015
    Rural Wise County, TX.
    I have completed almost a dozen AKs over a few years and I just bought a parts kit with NEW COMPONENTS.(not demilled surplus)

I decided to turn it into an EAST GERMAN clone so I got most of the parts that are different. (EG marked receiver, 800 meter leaf and rear sight block, 'pebble' buttstock, grip and handguards)

The kit comes with a left side rail type part and I have never seen one on the AKM in real life.
    I have no real use for it and if I mounted it I would need to research on mounting it. (fasteners and location etc.)

People that mount scopes on the AK must be optimists. I have dozens of rifles that benefit from glass optics but I don't think of my AKs as long range shooters.

Does anyone actually use these mounts?
    Lynx Defense

Coyote9

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 13, 2020
    Granbury Texas
    I have completed almost a dozen AKs over a few years and I just bought a parts kit with NEW COMPONENTS.(not demilled surplus)

I decided to turn it into an EAST GERMAN clone so I got most of the parts that are different. (EG marked receiver, 800 meter leaf and rear sight block, 'pebble' buttstock, grip and handguards)

The kit comes with a left side rail type part and I have never seen one on the AKM in real life.
    I have no real use for it and if I mounted it I would need to research on mounting it. (fasteners and location etc.)

People that mount scopes on the AK must be optimists. I have dozens of rifles that benefit from glass optics but I don't think of my AKs as long range shooters.

Does anyone actually use these mounts?
    I had a Russian clone AK-74 with a rail, found a soviet trilux and a russian tritium reflex sight that both fit and held zero well when re-attached.. really miss that toy but prices soared and I sold it The aftermarket trilux sights go for 3-350 with integral mount
    !I have seen video this week of Ukranians with the tritium sight installed.

Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I'm by no means well versed in the history of the various AKs, but from what I understand, most East German AKMs made in the 60s and 70s did not have a rail.

As for using a scope, they actually do have a benefit. It's not so much tighter groups as it is being able to shoot at longer ranges faster, and being able to better identify targets. The stock iron sights on most AKs aren't exactly the best sights for shooting out to 300m. I had an LVPO on my Yugo at one time, but decided it added too much weight for my liking so I swapped it out with a much lighter RDS. That's a really good set up for an AK in my opinion.

Last edited:

A1Oni

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2021
    Tejas
    AK side rails are a wonderful way to attach optics and they hold zero if installed correctly, east german AK optics are very expensive though but any combloc optic will look right.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    The first Soviet AKMN/AKML (AKM with a night sight) came out in 1966, but they didn't become common until see on AK-74s during the Afghan War (theirs, not ours!). They were not overly well designed and didn't hold zero well, but they did the trick ("If the minimums weren't good enough, they wouldn't be the minimums!"). Some used RPG scopes were used as they functioned as well as the rifle ones.

The DDR mounted NSP-2 NV scopes on their MPi-KMs starting back in the late 60s and early 70s, so it would be period correct.

I always loved the pebble stocks of the East German MPi-KMs, post some pics when built!

BeatTheTunaUp

Fux with the best, Die like the rest
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 17, 2012
    Temple TX
    I have a Saiga S308 with a Venezuelan pk-a.
    The side mount came on the Saiga and it's nice to have a red dot, but I vote with Sam7sf, leave it off if you're building a clone.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    giphy.gif

motorcarman

Compulsive Collector
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 13, 2015
    Rural Wise County, TX.
    I got the cheap one ($399)

and made the EG clone from those parts.

I don't have a problem with populating a barrel.
    I can set 'headspace' so I have no issues.

I bought a Hungarian AMD65 kit with "Barrel Already Populated" and it was the worst sight alignment I have ever seen. The front sight is OBVIOUSLY canted to the left!!!!!!!
    I have not tried to sight it in at distance, but I did move the front sight post over as far as I could.

Please let me do my own aligning!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

motorcarman

Compulsive Collector
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 13, 2015
    Rural Wise County, TX.
    I did NOT install the rail. I have never seen one IN PERSON and I don't have 'attachments'.
    I would need to hold the AK in my hands and see how it works before I fitted one to any of mine. (maybe someday?)

motorcarman

Compulsive Collector
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 13, 2015
    Rural Wise County, TX.
    I see the mount points at the ends of the rail (one buttstock rivet, obviously LONGER) and I see that an additional mount hole needs to be drilled/riveted at the magwell.

There are 'reliefs' in the back of the rail for CENTER SUPPORT and SAFETY LEVER (I think) but what is the center hole purpose?

I guess there are other side rail patterns for the UNDERFOLDER or SIDEFOLDER?

AKM siderail assy.jpg

Eli

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2008
    Ghettohood - SW Houston
    I see the mount points at the ends of the rail (one buttstock rivet, obviously LONGER) and I see that an additional mount hole needs to be drilled/riveted at the magwell.

There are 'reliefs' in the back of the rail for CENTER SUPPORT and SAFETY LEVER (I think) but what is the center hole purpose?

I guess there are other side rail patterns for the UNDERFOLDER or SIDEFOLDER?

View attachment 304349
    They're semi-specific for use with AKM or AK-74 rear trunnions, the forward trunnion rivet is the same as the rear rail rivet and the AK-74 has a wider spacing on the trunnion. The notches are to clear the hammer and trigger pins.
    I don't know of a rail for an underfolder.

Eli

Top Bottom