Military Camp

Are the Mossberg 500’s not what people say?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tonyt915

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 18, 2020
    Houston
    the-big-lebowski-thats-like-your-opinion-man.gif

Same shit gets spewed about the AK-47, but the proof is in the performance. The Mossberg 500 is the workhorse of the line, it may not be the prettiest but when it comes time to lay down the firepower, just like with the Kalashnikov, accept no substitutes!

Argue all you want, but their record of reliable performance and my personal experience with mine speaks far greater volumes to me than one individual's opinion!

(Walter's expression mirrors mine when I read crap like this!)
    Easy big chief, no need to get your panties in a knot. As stated just my opinion from my experience with a 500 vs other models

motorcarman

Compulsive Collector
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 13, 2015
    Rural Wise County, TX.
    Anybody read the article in January American Rifleman about the 590S?
    Anybody have one to try out the minishells?

I load the minis in an old double SXS to keep in my shop near the goat barn for nightime intruders. (coyotes etc.)

I never tried them in my Win model 12s, model 25s or model 1897 because I did not think that they would function reliably. (definitely not in any self loaders, model 50s or Rem 11s)

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas

I load the minis in an old double SXS to keep in my shop near the goat barn for nightime intruders. (coyotes etc.)

I never tried them in my Win model 12s, model 25s or model 1897 because I did not think that they would function reliably. (definitely not in any self loaders, model 50s or Rem 11s)
    My experience was with a regular 590a1 and shockwave with the rubber plug you could buy.

They worked ok, recoil impulse was a bit worse due to the lack of a buffer like most shotshells have.

Reliability was ok, but i only shot maybe 80 rounds or so

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown

I have shot the Aguila mini shells, buckshot and slugs, through my 18" 590A1 with the Opsol adapter. Worked flawlessly. Magazine tube holds 9 of them compared to 5 of the 2¾" shells. The mini shells have much reduced recoil as compared to the full length shells. I have some Federal Shortys too, but haven't tried them yet.

beast1989

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2020
    Dallas
    I like mine but I’ve wanted to venture out and get an 870. I’d be curious to know from people who’ve own a 500 or 870, which they preferred?

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    I like mine but I’ve wanted to venture out and get an 870. I’d be curious to know from people who’ve own a 500 or 870, which they preferred?
    Do you like your safety where your thumb is or by the trigger guard. That is really the only difference.

Ofcourse there are various models of each but between the 2 that is the only difference I'm like configurations.

I used the 870 at work for years. I hunted with an 870 clone for decades. I have a 590A1 as my personal shotgun.

I prefer the safety where my thumb can get to it on top of the receiver and rather avoid poking around by the trigger.

YMMV

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    >
    I have the Mossberg "turkey" model with regular bead sights. It is lighter and seems to work well, but in the ~30 years I've owned it, I've hunted with it 4 or 5 times. It has standard 28" barrel. Bought it to use for geese. I also have numerous 870's, which are for hunting & defense.

Having grown-up with A5's & Mod.12's, I began depending on the 870's for several reasons:

Hunting in Latin America, I wanted to carry only one gun, so it had to be reliable.

A friend who hunts grizzlies in the Yukon told me that the ONLY gun the bear guides carry is the 870.

A world of parts, mods, accessories are plentiful.

Every gunsmith knows 870's, almost like 1911's.

Model 12's became too expensive to buy & maintain.

The M 500, with its Aluminum receiver has become an American "standard" and is good enough for our Military. Were I a younger man, or were I "starting-over" today, I may well go to the A500 series, as it has stood the test of time and also has abundant parts & mods available.

Back in 1976, I spent a week in the mountains on an elk hunt in the cab of a truck with the legendary Bob Ramsland of the "Mexico Dove Safaris" out of McAllen fame. At the time, Bob was the World's largest individual purchaser of shotgun shells. Remington sent his ammo to McAllen in a train car. Bob had visited all the ammo factories as a guest and knew the "Ammo Engineers" personally. He told me that when the plastic shotgun shells came out, with integral plastic shot cups, their studies had demonstrated that there was no "ballistic" or patterning advantage to shotgun barrels over 18 or 19 inches. As most of my hunting back then was doves over stock tanks or South Texas quail, the advantages of shorter barrels were attractive. About the same time, Remington began offering the 870's in "English Field" and "Special Field" models. Those had better wood, straight stocks with hand-cut or non-pressed real checkering, no silly fake engraving, and shorter barrels in the 21" to 24" range. (The "English" were fixed-choke and the "Special" had the then-new changeable "RemChoke" tubes; they were o/w identical.) I bought one for a Son, and we all LOVED it, so I bought several more.

We have never had any kind of 870 "failure" in the 40 years since. Only problem ever has been loading gate wear, requiring a parts change every 20 years or so.

If you are new to pump guns, be sure to get a wing-shooting expert to give you a lesson in "pump-gunning", as those police video instructional videos are so silly. The only thing they show me is that the "instructors" have ZERO clue of how to properly operate the guns.

leVieux

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Do you like your safety where your thumb is or by the trigger guard. That is really the only difference.

Ofcourse there are various models of each but between the 2 that is the only difference I'm like configurations.

I used the 870 at work for years. I hunted with an 870 clone for decades. I have a 590A1 as my personal shotgun.

I prefer the safety where my thumb can get to it on top of the receiver and rather avoid poking around by the trigger.

YMMV
    ^^^^This!^^^^

retired deputy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2022
    the big country
    Only problem I have ever had with a mossberg is a broken safety button. I have seen several other folks have that problem with the plastic/polymer slide buttons.
    If i ever owned another 500, about the only modification i would do is replace that plastic button with a metal one.

Mossberg was indeed selected by the military. But to my understanding, they were the only shotgun maker to submit a design for testing to meet their specs.

The Remington 870 wingmaster and police models of old were solid guns. I retired with my old dept cut-down wingmaster. Remington is not what it use to be with quality slipping the last couple of decades and living off their reputation of old. I blame the former owners that drove them into bankruptcy.

My current go-to riot gun is a Winchester marine SXP. No problems there though the round count is low at under 300 rds of buck/slug/bird loads at the range. Nowadays, the shotgun is purty light duty for me so I am not going to get on a trap range and see if i can wear one out over the years. Nor am I going to sign up for a defensive shotgun course. So it simply stays loaded and behind the seat of the pickup where it belongs while the 870 stays in the house.

Personally, if buying today, I would rather have the 500 over the 590 as the 500 is more affordable and i really don't use a shotgun enough to gain any benefits from the 590's heavier duty design.

Besides, I like my shotguns slick and clutter-free without a ton of accessories or after-market cottage industry "improvements".

Rudeman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2023
    US
    I have an old 500 and a newer 870 both 12g and I definitely like the 500 better

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

tonelar

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 9, 2009
    El Paso
    I know plenty of folks that love their Mossbergs.

I never cared for the construction nor safety position on the 500-590.

My pump action gun of choice is an 870 Police Magnum (retired from SFCounty Sheriff).

Last edited:

single stack

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2011
    FL
    I’ve been thinning the herd over the last 3 years. Among the items sold were 8 shotguns, including 2 Remingtons, a Browning and an Ithaca. Old Oskar is still here.

Doofus

Just a doofus…really
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2022
    San Antonio
    For what it’s worth (not much), I like my 590. Safety feels like it’s in the right place and it works every time I pull the trigger. I don’t have anything against the 870…just picked up the 590 instead.

I’m a beer snob, not so much a shotgun snob.

JandK

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2021
    Cherokee County
    Mossberg drew me to thier shotguns when I was 14 or 15 because they worked with federal to develop the 3 1/3 12 chambering as a turkey and waterfowl hunter I really had no choice but jump on the band wagon. As other companies chambered for the 3 1/2 I moved away from mossberg. The 9200 was a disaster with plastic buffer and other cheap parts and production didn't last long.
    Mossberg is a ok shotgun but not my favorite especially with Remington and Browning. By 16 I discovered the 10ga and my love affair has never waned. From old Ithaca mag 10 to Browning and even Remingtons revision of the mag 10 . Nothing like a Canada goose folding up as if he hit a brick wall.

Top Bottom