Military Camp

Are the Mossberg 500’s not what people say?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GoPappy

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 18, 2015
    I’ve got an old 500 that was beat completely to hell and most of the way back before I bought it. It still runs as slick as snot.

I‘m left-handed and much prefer the tang safety of the 500/590 to the cross bolt safety that most other shotguns use.

Saltyag2010

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    Flour Bluff, America
    I warranties my 500 one time. Had to do with the slide bending another piece of metal that holds the shells in the tube. I used it as a single shot until I finally se t it back.

10 years of use and abuse for a $300 gun that came with a second barrel and choke set. I think I’ll get my money’s worth out of it until I’m done with it.

ShadyOaksGunRange

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2013
    I do not like how the 870 traps my thumb on reloads, My500 must be an old one, it is quite solid and fires everytime, plus my thumb isn't trapped on reloads

single stack

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2011
    FL
    I’m a shotgun guy.
    I’ve got plenty of them and I shoot them all quite well.
    The old 500A still comes out for hunting, mostly because of the top safety. I prefer it. I’m right handed and when you are cold, really, really cold, a gloved hand trying to work a trigger guard safety sucks.
    My 500 is a reliable workhorse. A lot of expensive guns will go down the road before I let go of Oskar.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I know this will probably trigger some Mossberg lovers but how could this shotgun possibly beat out the 870 or the 1300 in reliability or ease? I cleaned one up for a friend and it felt like it was made of cheap Chinesium with the aluminum and plastic. Pulled the trigger pack out and had both shell stops fall out. Also while torqing on the barrel nut the stock twisted on the receiver. I know it was my first time to mess with a Mossberg but it was much more difficult to manipulate in putting back together than any Winchester, Remington, Benelli or Beretta. Felt as if I needed a third hand. The only other pump I disliked cleaning this much was the Browning BPS but atleast that was good ol metal not plastic. I know the military adopted these but that doesn’t always mean they are the best.

I have several 870's & one Mossberg 500. No problem. It is different but shoots well and is reliable. Had a BPS and hated it! BPS = Yugo in shotgun talk!
    leVieux

bbbass

Looking Up!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2020
    NE Orygun
    My first shotgun at 18yrs old, was a Rem Model 31TC Trap, 28" full choke, so I'm spoiled. Beautiful dark wood, fine checkering, flawlessly smooth action.

Second shotgun was an Ithaca Model 37 Featherlight w/Deerslayer barrel. Bottom eject. I bought a 26" mod choke barrel for pheasant hunting and 16yd trap. Flawless action and bottom eject.

I developed a taste for O/U shotguns for hunting. Had some really nice ones.

After I sold all my shotguns in a tragic boating divorce to pay the lawyers, I went many years w/o a shotgun.

If I wanted another fine hunting shotgun today, I would look for another O/U... something with nice wood, fine checkering, a silver receiver and a gold trigger, engraved rcvr, tube chokes, etc.

Anyway, when I moved back from the Oregon coast in 1993 I bought 2 shotguns so that I could hunt with one of my grandsons, one whose dad left the family to become a woman. Bought a 500 for me, and a Mossberg that takes 3.5" shells for him. Both kevlar furniture. We hunted quail and pheasants, but it was too long and too slow/stiff action for me. Later I bought an 18" barrel, an extended mag, and a shock absorbing stock, put a 1200cp taclight under the barrel, and a reflex optic and laser. It hangs ready to go in my closet along with a side saddle shellholder and a 50rd bandolier.

Later, I bought an old Mossberg 500 wood shotgun with a shortened stock and a 26" barrel with a Polychoke on it. Put a slip on pad on it, and killed a bunch of feral critters. It was reliable. Gave it to one of my other grandsons, but he doesn't seem to be using it much, so I still have the hunting barrel from my newer 500. Not gonna give it unless he's gonna use it! Otherwise, I can sell it for a box of 9mm. ;)

GoPappy

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 18, 2015
    . . . Had a BPS and hated it! BPS = Yugo in shotgun talk!
    leVieux

I’ve wanted a BPS for a long time, primarily because (1) bottom eject, (2) tang safety and (3) it’s a Browning.

What did you hate about it?

BuzzinSATX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    New Braunfels
    I poo-pooed them for years, then got my son one on the cheap. It's a solid gun. His is probably an 80's vintage.
    I bought one new in 1982 at the base exchange at Eielson AFB. My first duty station. I still own it, and it’s never failed me. Has some dings and bruises but runs flawlessly.

I shot a much newer one a few months back. Just felt cheaper. But newer 870’s aren’t much better...

I prefer semiautomatics these days...but my Mossberg still shoots fine.

BuzzinSATX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    New Braunfels
    I’m a shotgun guy.
    I’ve got plenty of them and I shoot them all quite well.
    The old 500A still comes out for hunting, mostly because of the top safety. I prefer it. I’m right handed and when you are cold, really, really cold, a gloved hand trying to work a trigger guard safety sucks.
    My 500 is a reliable workhorse. A lot of expensive guns will go down the road before I let go of Oskar.

Mine is a Model 500AG. No idea what that means

hornetguy

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 21, 2021
    Allen, Texas
    I have a 12 ga 500 that I've owned for around 30 years or so. I don't do a lot of bird hunting, so it was my only shotgun for quite a while. Mine is the 20", full length magazine version, no choke. I got invited to go to Iowa with a friend to hunt pheasants. Guess which of my shotguns went with me? The only one I had. We hunted for 3 days, with moderate success... the other guys were shooting over/unders, and one guy had a Winchester 21 (IIRC) side by side. At one point he commented "I've never seen anyone hunt pheasant with a riot gun"... When all was said and done, I killed as many birds as any of the other guys, except him. I thought it "repped" Mossberg pretty handily.
    I recently got a Maverick 20ga, just because I wanted a 20ga. It came with a vent rib barrel, so I got a short plain "defense" barrel for it, then found another barrel with rifle sights on it..... so now I have a Maverick with three barrels. I shot some TruBall slugs through it at 25 yards, with my 66 yr old eyes, and put 5 almost in the same hole. So far, it's been excellent.

Like others have said, they just work....

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom