ARJ Defense ad

Are the Mossberg 500’s not what people say?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tonelar

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 9, 2009
    El Paso
    the 590A1 is better than the 500 but still not what I like in a pump shotgun.

My pump shotgun is an old police magnum 870.

I like the safety to be where it is on my M1 & M3 (trigger guard).

Asymmetrical

The harmony of the Pen and the Sword
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2018
    Texas
    I love my old 590, and it's still kicking after twenty-something years, but with an ugly (but WAY more comfortable) Magpul stock on it. I admit that that the main reason I bought it was because I can stick a bayonet on it.

I still believe in the Riddle of Steel, I guess, but to be honest, no bad guy is gonna want to hang around long after seeing a crazed naked man in a unicorn mask charge out brandishing a shotgun with a bayonet sticking off the end, screaming "BLOOD,BLOOD, BRIGHT RED BLOOD!!!"

cygunner

Devil's Den - Gettysburg
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2021
    Cypress, TX
    Bought a 20 ga. Wingmaster in 1955. Still have it, slickest running gun that I own. My father shortened the barrel, but not too much, so he could hit quail better with it while I was in college. Loaded with buckshot now for things that go bump in the night. And I will shoot it Axxe.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Don't think I ever took a pic of it before...

20210502_153142.jpg

ETA: And I know where that comment is going, lol....

Last edited:

billtool

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    The Wooldlands
    First gun I purchased as an adult. Bought it for a security job at a fireworks stand right after I got out of the Army. Had a pistol grip on it. Got rid of that at the gun store. 30+ years and it’s never failed.

seeker_two

My posts don't count....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    That place east of Waco....
    I still believe in the Riddle of Steel, I guess, but to be honest, no bad guy is gonna want to hang around long after seeing a crazed naked man in a unicorn mask charge out brandishing a shotgun with a bayonet sticking off the end, screaming "BLOOD,BLOOD, BRIGHT RED BLOOD!!!"

Not when you show up at McDonald's like that ....

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

gdr_11

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2014
    I used to be a gun snob for 45 years. My long guns were Remington, Marlin and Weatherby when all of these were quality arms and all three made in the U.S. Now, you pay $500 for a piece of crap shotgun with an American name but part or all from China. When I needed a .410 a few years back, I bought a Mossberg and, other than the obvious lack of quality wood or finish, I could not be more pleased with its handling and performance. I have found the same with the RIA and Taurus handguns I have bought; both of which I would not have been caught dead with 20 years ago.

I used to poke fun at guys with Mossbergs when I was young, now I know they were smarter than me all along.

p99guy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 26, 2008
    Haslet
    When it comes to American pump shotguns there are two basic camps.. 870 variants and 500 variants.. and a lot of it comes down to the love of a safety location. Ive owned both and use them for work.. I settled on the Mossberg decades ago, and I regularly carry my Grandfather’s 500 from 1978 even today.
    But I have a US Navy Heavy Barrel 590A1, and waiting on a tax stamp to come back on a police surplus factory Mossberg 590A1 SBS.
    ( and yes there are plenty other shotguns out there besides these two brands)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A1Oni

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2021
    Tejas
    I know this will probably trigger some Mossberg lovers but how could this shotgun possibly beat out the 870 or the 1300 in reliability or ease? I cleaned one up for a friend and it felt like it was made of cheap Chinesium with the aluminum and plastic. Pulled the trigger pack out and had both shell stops fall out. Also while torqing on the barrel nut the stock twisted on the receiver. I know it was my first time to mess with a Mossberg but it was much more difficult to manipulate in putting back together than any Winchester, Remington, Benelli or Beretta. Felt as if I needed a third hand. The only other pump I disliked cleaning this much was the Browning BPS but atleast that was good ol metal not plastic. I know the military adopted these but that doesn’t always mean they are the best.
    sounds like a bunch of cope and seethe to me. mossberg hasnt gone bankrupt, remington has lmao.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    I know this will probably trigger some Mossberg lovers but how could this shotgun possibly beat out the 870 or the 1300 in reliability or ease? I cleaned one up for a friend and it felt like it was made of cheap Chinesium with the aluminum and plastic. Pulled the trigger pack out and had both shell stops fall out. Also while torqing on the barrel nut the stock twisted on the receiver. I know it was my first time to mess with a Mossberg but it was much more difficult to manipulate in putting back together than any Winchester, Remington, Benelli or Beretta. Felt as if I needed a third hand. The only other pump I disliked cleaning this much was the Browning BPS but atleast that was good ol metal not plastic. I know the military adopted these but that doesn’t always mean they are the best.

the-big-lebowski-thats-like-your-opinion-man.gif

Same shit gets spewed about the AK-47, but the proof is in the performance. The Mossberg 500 is the workhorse of the line, it may not be the prettiest but when it comes time to lay down the firepower, just like with the Kalashnikov, accept no substitutes!

Argue all you want, but their record of reliable performance and my personal experience with mine speaks far greater volumes to me than one individual's opinion!

(Walter's expression mirrors mine when I read crap like this!)

Top Bottom