Capitol Armory ad

are there any decent extended warranty companies?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Import

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2020
    Copperas Cove
    So I'm slowly getting around to buying a new truck (Chevy Colorado). I'm a buy-and-hold kind of car owner, the shortest I've owned a vehicle is 14 years. I only drive about 6-8k miles a year, on average, so I'd want an extended warranty with at least 5 years minimum.

Are there any companies that have such a warranty, and are they actually honorable?

thx
    Capitol Armory ad

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    IMHO the extended warranty that the factory offers is the only one worth a shit, because at least you’re still dealing with the folks who built and sold the car.

And if you wanna save a few bucks, a lot of dealers offer factory extended warranties online at steep discounts…you can buy it from any dealer, and typically at any time up to the point that the factory warranty runs out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    IMHO the extended warranty that the factory offers is the only one worth a shit, because at least you’re still dealing with the folks who built and sold the car.

And if you wanna save a few bucks, a lot of dealers offer factory extended warranties online at steep discounts…you can buy it from any dealer, and typically at any time up to the point that the factory warranty runs out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    And not all extended warranties are the same. Usually those offered at the dealership at the point of sale, are those the dealership will honor when they are needed.Many times with no costs out of pocket up front.

Another thing to consider with an extended warranty is whether it would be honored at an independent repair facility. Many times with those, they will reimburse you after the repairs are done. Not all independent repair shops will honor an extended warranty, and will expect payment from you before releasing the vehicle.

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    Don't know if all are this way but mine was and I never bought another extended warranty....

When you buy one at the dealer when buying your car, it runs concurrent with the factory warranty........

If your factory warranty is 36k or three years...and your extended warranty is five years....you only have two years left after the factory warranty expires.....

I found out the hard way................

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Unless it's Toyota/Lexus or Porsche, the dealer techs are going to be just as dangerous to your car as Jiffy Lube, and cost a whole lot more.

Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston
    Don't know if all are this way but mine was and I never bought another extended warranty....

When you buy one at the dealer when buying your car, it runs concurrent with the factory warranty........

If your factory warranty is 36k or three years...and your extended warranty is five years....you only have two years left after the factory warranty expires.....

I found out the hard way................
    Also applies if you cash in the warranty. Sold the truck after 3 years. Had the 5 year warranty, and only got back 40% when I cashed it in instead of the full 100% of the two extra years over the std 3 years

GasGuzzler

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 19, 2018
    Cooke County, TX
    Some real doozies here for replies.

It USED to be that the factory offered extended warranty was the only one that was decent. No longer the case with GM. They pretty much bailed out of the extended warranty business. Their GMPP was top notch a decade or more ago but they farmed it out to a crappy outside company. They raised the price so much no one bought it.

Secure Net and Master Tech are good, Endurance is decent.

As for concurrency, there are benefits. The aftermarket warranty may cover some items the factory one does not.

As far as dangerous goes...I am one of the highest trained GM techs in the South Central Region and have kept a job at the same dealer for nearly 21 years. There are plenty of us out there that are not "dangerous" to your car. If your vehicle is 15 years of age or older, a good independent is a viable choice. Newer than that and Joe Blow is a big gamble.

As far as ROI, just keep in mind the average AC compressor job is $1500, the average engine replacement is $7500, and the average transmission replacement is $6000.

Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston
    I agree with your argument, but I’d probably not really worry much about the compressor, total engine or tranny replacement as much as I would the turbo, infotainment and other gee wiz crap they put on them now.

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    Some real doozies here for replies.

It USED to be that the factory offered extended warranty was the only one that was decent. No longer the case with GM. They pretty much bailed out of the extended warranty business. Their GMPP was top notch a decade or more ago but they farmed it out to a crappy outside company. They raised the price so much no one bought it.

Secure Net and Master Tech are good, Endurance is decent.

As for concurrency, there are benefits. The aftermarket warranty may cover some items the factory one does not.

As far as dangerous goes...I am one of the highest trained GM techs in the South Central Region and have kept a job at the same dealer for nearly 21 years. There are plenty of us out there that are not "dangerous" to your car. If your vehicle is 15 years of age or older, a good independent is a viable choice. Newer than that and Joe Blow is a big gamble.

As far as ROI, just keep in mind the average AC compressor job is $1500, the average engine replacement is $7500, and the average transmission replacement is $6000.

I've never had bad service work performed by the techs at a dealership. The Expedition will be needing it's 100k transmission service soon and I will take it to the dealership for service.

I'm glad the techs aren't involved with the shenanigans that the sales folks are....

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    I've never had bad service work performed by the techs at a dealership. The Expedition will be needing it's 100k transmission service soon and I will take it to the dealership for service.

I'm glad the techs aren't involved with the shenanigans that the sales folks are....
    Most dealership techs are factory trained and certified. When I worked at a GM dealership many years ago, even though I was already a certified mechanic and had been a mechanic for many years, I spent almost as much time in training as I did working on vehicles. I traveled to Garland at least once a month to the GM Training Facility for ongoing training, the GM way of doing things. Every week, I spent several hours a week doing CBL's, (Computer Based Learning) at the dealership doing training and testing to be GM certified. Most dealerships, won't even hire a mechanic that doesn't have at least his ASE certifications.

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    So I'm slowly getting around to buying a new truck (Chevy Colorado). I'm a buy-and-hold kind of car owner, the shortest I've owned a vehicle is 14 years. I only drive about 6-8k miles a year, on average, so I'd want an extended warranty with at least 5 years minimum.

Are there any companies that have such a warranty, and are they actually honorable?

thx
    I'll be happy to forward the frequent junk mail, text and phone calls I get selling extended warranties.

GasGuzzler

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 19, 2018
    Cooke County, TX
    I agree with your argument, but I’d probably not really worry much about the compressor, total engine or tranny replacement as much as I would the turbo, infotainment and other gee wiz crap they put on them now.
    I replaced a transmission on a Suburban Monday. I finished an engine replacement on a Sierra yesterday. I am pulling the entire dash out of an Envision today. Predicting the next failure is futile.
    Most dealership techs are factory trained and certified. When I worked at a GM dealership many years ago, even though I was already a certified mechanic and had been a mechanic for many years, I spent almost as much time in training as I did working on vehicles. I traveled to Garland at least once a month to the GM Training Facility for ongoing training, the GM way of doing things. Every week, I spent several hours a week doing CBL's, (Computer Based Learning) at the dealership doing training and testing to be GM certified. Most dealerships, won't even hire a mechanic that doesn't have at least his ASE certifications.
    I attained World Class Certified status in 2003 and have kept that the entire time since at the same dealership. WCT requires ASE Master in at least eight areas, 100% GM trained in all of those eight, and a full day hands-on certification for each area. I have those certs in 10 areas, not just the minimum eight (i have gas a diesel performance when only one is needed plus I added body electrical and mechanical as an add on option).

And yes, there are hacks out there in any industry.

Top Bottom