Lynx Defense

Are there any ranges that allow 18 year olds to shoot unaccompanied?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • alexng30

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2016
    Hey guys,

I'm about to turn 18 in December and my dad and I are planning to build an AR-15 for my birthday. I'd like to shoot regularly and get started practicing my marksmanship ealy, maybe even shoot some competitions eventually. All of the ranges I know of only allow people under 21 to shoot if they are accompanied by someone over 21 who is a parent/guardian/waiver form trustee or something like that. AFAIK, all of the indoor ranges are 21+ and the only outdoor range I know of is American Shooting Center and I'm not sure about their age requirements. Just wanted to know if anyone knows of any ranges I could go and shoot at myself since my dad is doesn't usually have time on the weekends to go shooting and more often than not he'll take my two younger brothers, who can't drive themselves anywhere, to the archery range. If it helps, I live around Bellaire near Meyerland Plaza. I don't really mind long drives; anything around 45 minutes away or closer would be perfectly doable for me.

Thanks for taking the time to answer!
    DK Firearms

coachrick

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    north-north Austin
    Pretty sure Shady Oaks in Cedar Park is 18+. I know they have restrictions on under 18, never heard anything about under 21.

I'm going to Gargle Bellaire and American Shooting Center, since I've not heard of either(reckon it's not near Austin).

ETA...yep, 180 miles, give or take. Can't even teleport that in 45 minutes ;)

acorneau

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 5, 2014
    Houston
    Just looked up a few...

Top Gun (closest to Bellaire) requires a parent/legal guardian -OR- a third party adult with a signed waiver.
    ASC doesn't list age restrictions on their website's rules page. Their "shooters card" sign up says 18+ can sign up by themselves.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Thisvis a good place to start doing that.
    There is an introductions thread to tell us about you. IIRC, in the general forum area.

sent from an idgit coffeeholic

Top Bottom