Lynx Defense

Are throwing stars(shurikens) illegal to own in Texas?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Discussion at work today.
    One of the young guys is into all sorts of Ninja Hong Kong Fooey weapons including throwing stars.
    He says they are legal to have but not to carry. Just like a sword or switchblades used to be.
    Does anyone know for sure?
    ive seen them for sale as well throwing knives and spears and tomahawks. Heck the local Academy Sports has all these on the racks.
    The Penal Code says any hand stabbing instrument meant to be thrown is a no no.
    What say TGT?
    Hurley's Gold

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    An illegal knife includes and hand instrument designed to cut or stab another by being thrown.

An illegal knife is in the same sections of the law as a handgun. They fall under unlawful carry, PC 46.02. unlawful to carry on or about your person if you are not on your own premises or premises under your control, or not inside of a a motor vehicle or one under your control. The exceptions in 46.15 are also applicable.

Dredens

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2014
    Sealy
    So basically, yes, they are legal to own. Just can't be running around acting a fool with them.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    And they will get a public school student taken to juvenile detention or jail, depending upon his or her age. Their story always started out, "....but, but, it's OK 'cause I bought it at the mall!"

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    And they will get a public school student taken to juvenile detention or jail, depending upon his or her age. Their story always started out, "....but, but, it's OK 'cause I bought it at the mall!"

I bought one of these throwing stars (and a gameboy) in middle school in the hallway. Soooooo many things I could have been tossed out of school for.

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    What's it matter? Only a real Ninja should be carrying these things anyway, and just how the Hell is a cop going to nab a Ninja? He'll just fly away or disappear into a smoke bomb thrown on the ground or something awesome like that.

Name me ONE real life Ninja who was EVER arrested. That's right, because IT NEVER HAPPENED.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    What's it matter? Only a real Ninja should be carrying these things anyway, and just how the Hell is a cop going to nab a Ninja? He'll just fly away or disappear into a smoke bomb thrown on the ground or something awesome like that.

Name me ONE real life Ninja who was EVER arrested. That's right, because IT NEVER HAPPENED.
    Do mall ninjas count?

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Trust me. Hong Kong Fooey ain't no Ninja. He's 300lbs of basement dweller.
    not gonna bash on the guy because he likes that stuff.
    Figured it was similar to a sword. Legal to have and play with at home but not for carrying around acting a fool.
    So now I have to tell him he was correct. He gonna go all Ninja on me now! LMAO!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2013
    Houston, TX
    Throwing stars are fun but I would never even consider using one for self-defense unless it was the only thing within grab distance when another ninja comes breaking into my room and surprises me. Now a saw blade... Those hit like a ton of bricks. I was goofing off in the shop one day and made a "Krull" sized shuriken out of a circular saw blade. I could lob it from across the yard accurately into a 8x16" log. Each tine of the star was about 3.5" long and it was impossible NOT to stick. Not practical at all but it was fun.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Throwing stars are fun but I would never even consider using one for self-defense unless it was the only thing within grab distance when another ninja comes breaking into my room and surprises me. Now a saw blade... Those hit like a ton of bricks. I was goofing off in the shop one day and made a "Krull" sized shuriken out of a circular saw blade. I could lob it from across the yard accurately into a 8x16" log. Each tine of the star was about 3.5" long and it was impossible NOT to stick. Not practical at all but it was fun.

See the movie "Commando"

Sapper740

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    When confronted by "Sum Yung Guy" with throwing stars: deliberately remove pistol from holster, gain sight picture, double-tap. Repeat as required.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    nunchucks are my ninja tool of choice.
    I once attended a customs auction where one of the lots for sale consisted of ~20K pairs of nunchucks. They wound up selling for, iirc, about $400. I was poor back then but if I could have swung it I would have definitely gone into the cheap, mail-order nunchuck business.

Top Bottom