Hurley's Gold

Are You Stocked Up For The Coming Depression??

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • billt

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Glendale, Arizona
    This is all but guaranteed. What bailout? We got into this mess because idiot's overspent on something they couldn't afford in the first place, with money they didn't have. Then along came bigger idiot's who lent it to them. They can't pay back the loans because what they bought isn't worth what they paid, and to frost the cake, these idiot's can't make the payments because they were stupid enough to agree to a rate they had no control over to begin with. Now the government, who is broke and almost 9 TRILLION in debt already, is going to borrow $700 billion more to do what? Create even more debt by buying bad loans. This we are told, will, "free up more money for lending". To who? To buy what? This is how this whole mess got started. It would be laughable if it wasn't true. You've got 80+% of the people out there with little to no net worth, and they can't make the payments on what they don't already own. We're finished. They piss and moan about Wall Street. They didn't cause this, the idiot's in your and my neighborhoods did. This will get worse than anyone even remotely believes. This entire nations economy will collapse because it is based on nothing but debt that cannot be paid back, and with it much of the worlds economy, except for, you guessed it, our loving buddies, the Muslims in the oil rich Middle East. They'll still be sprinkling gold dust on their Capuchino, while our government borrows more money to purchase paper and ink for the Mint. Better stock up on ammo now! Later, you tell me? Bill T.
    ARJ Defense ad

Code3GT

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 12, 2008
    Austin
    I'm buying 50rds of .45 and every paycheck, have plenty of .22LR on hand, saving for AR/ammo come January. Gonna pick up some cheap turkey loads for the Mossy 500. Have a few MRE's leftover from my active duty days, have 10 more lbs of ground chuck to dehydrate into jerky. I'm almost ready!!

Major Woody

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2008
    Yes, been stocking up. Built a bicycle generator, a 12/24 volt charging system, been puting low sodium canned food away and been reloading every time I find components. Looking for a low priced deer lease, our group lost the one we've been going to. Been making Faraday cages, and started some square foot gardening. Found a source of heater meals. Who knows what's coming next.

springmom

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Spring
    Well, sort of. When we bought our ranch (eventual retirement property) this year, we *bought* it. We were encouraged to finance it by our realtor and, of course, Capital Farm Credit; but we wanted to know that we had a place that was OURS, regardless of what happens in the economy, or with the zombies, or flying feces in the ventilation system.

Stocking up is a tough thing to do in a meaningful sense. For one thing, I can't "stock up" on the medicines that I may no longer be able to afford, or that might, in the worst case, not even be available. Nor can actually put away enormous amounts of food; I don't have the space to keep it, and now that half my house is going to be emptied out for mold remediation post-Ike, I'll be lucky to have room for what I *have*.

Stocking up is a whole lot more than ammunition, unless you intend to use it as barter to buy food and fuel.

Springmom

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    Well, sort of. When we bought our ranch (eventual retirement property) this year, we *bought* it. We were encouraged to finance it by our realtor and, of course, Capital Farm Credit; but we wanted to know that we had a place that was OURS, regardless of what happens in the economy, or with the zombies, or flying feces in the ventilation system.

You realize that this is the USA. No one "owns" property no matter what. Try not paying taxes on it and see what happens. You will always pay for it.

When you think about it, the American Dream is just that, a dream.... :patriot:

But congrat's on doing something most people can't and what most people that can, won't do. Regardless, it's got to be a great feeling!! ;)

Enron Exec

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    Behind 16 rnds of 9x19mm
    You realize that this is the USA. No one "owns" property no matter what. Try not paying taxes on it and see what happens. You will always pay for it.

When you think about it, the American Dream is just that, a dream.... :patriot:

But congrat's on doing something most people can't and what most people that can, won't do. Regardless, it's got to be a great feeling!! ;)

You said it!

As for stocking up, well, i dont think it will get as bad as a post apocalyptic movie like I Am Legend.

Viper

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2008
    Copperas Cove
    A couple extra cases of water, a case or two of MRE's and more ammo than the neighbors is all you really need right now because if things get really bad it will take a couple of weeks for society to totally breakdown giving you time to stock up on anything else.

zembonez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    Nothing wrong with stocking up.

I don't think the sky is falling & I don't believe we are doomed, but I do agree 100% that it pays to be prepared. Not saying all is good mind you.... We are likely in for a bumpy road, thanks to idiotic overspending as the original poster noted - right along with typically corrupt Washington.

Those of us who pay taxes better hold on to our wallets.

Leper

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2008
    I would recommend that anyone here read the book "Patriots, Surviving the coming collapse" by James Wesly Rawles. It is a fiction book, but it has enough detail in it to make you think of things you may not have already. It deals with a possible future of America, after a financial collapse.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Oatmeal, the raw, natural kind you can usually find in the cylindrical containers (not the artificially modified stuff but just plain oatmeal). I would think that stuff would have a shelf life of like 50+yrs lol. ;)

kville79

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2008
    Austin
    Actually that's very true... Grains can last for eternities... a lot longer than canned foods. Early sedentary man understood this very well, and that's why they prospered. But then again nobody wants to live off of gruel for 50yrs, so it's probably a good idea to supplement.

When it comes to sustainability, having a seed bank so you can plant hardy crops, knowledge of agriculture, construction, animal husbandry, etc... is very good stuff to learn.

cwood3

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2008
    I tried to do a shelf life test on SPAM, but it failed. I can't leave a can on the shelf. I take French's mustard and light brown sugar and mash it up together to make a paste. slice thine, spoon on sauce, and cook at 400 until it's brown and bubbly. YUM. I can eat SPAM everyday. So maybe for stock I should look at hummus or some other crud I can't stand....................

cw

Top Bottom