• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    So every year I shoot for a month out. I don't bow hunt so that means early October. This year I managed to get 2 up and feeding last week and this weekend I'll get a third going. I had one game cam go down with a busted battery tray so I'll be tinkering with that soon or going back to an older gen one I've got lying around.

Every season is different in central Texas but I'm glad I haven't got rained out while trying to get everything set up. Last year I remember being delayed a bit. I was a bit disappointed to see that the tractor supply in Taylor had nothing but apple scented corn left at around $12/bag so I only bought 3 but I did find plenty out in Leander.

In the next few weeks I'll be cleaning up my sight lines to the feeders and taking out any broomweed that's obscuring some shooting lanes. Overall I'm feeling good about this season. My hunting loads are all dialed in and my cold bore shot is right where I want it. I might even treat myself with a little trigger time with the 22s and 45s while I still can.

I hope things are coming together for my fellow hunters out there. Wishing y'all good luck and a fruitful season.
    Guns International

andre3k

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 8, 2008
    Houston
    Man, my does are done hitting the feeders. They stopped coming late last week. They will only approach at night now.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    Haven't put any corn out in quite some time but they keep showing up.
    deer.jpg

2ManyGuns

Revolver's, get one, shoot the snot out of it!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Somewhere in Texas!
    Put mine up during Labor Day weekend, bucks have ranged in size from non-legal six pointers to some legal 12's, and some squirrels, rabbits, and raccoons. No wild piggies or Turkey as of Friday.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    I'm hunting on a low fenced 70ish acre ranch. Neighbors in every direction hunt too. Best buck I ever saw had a unique saw tooth non typical rack, naturally that was at 1am on a game cam.

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    Doesn't anyone in Texas actually hunt deer or is it all target shooting at deer as they come in to feeders.:rolleyes:

Harvesting is fine & dandy if the primary goal is putting meat in the freezer.

Actual hunting - going out and stalking, not knowing if you're going to see an animal and get a good shot, or posting up on a trail and waiting - its fun and its its own thing. You're not nearly as likely to bag an animal unless you're on a good property or lightly traveled public land.

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    Doesn't anyone in Texas actually hunt deer or is it all target shooting at deer as they come in to feeders.:rolleyes:
    Thats an ignorant statement so allow me to rip that apart for you.

1. Nearly all land in Texas is privately owned. We don't have giant swathes of oak forests in parks where deer can live undisturbed for the entirety of the non-hunting season, having tons of natural browse to eat. IE the northeast.
    2. Deer in Texas move because of point 1 and you need to keep them on your land. Feeders are easier than planting food plots. Some of us work for a living and don't have time to be farmer joe sewing entire fields of crops for deer to come into. Deer also move since your neighbor who had 400 acres of thick bedding brush decided to clear his land out and now the deer are gone.
    3. If you don't use a feeder, your neighbor will and he will drop your prized buck that you've been hunting the "true" way
    4. Spare me any bullshit about how hunting is done in the northeast. I hunt there every season and have done so for a decade. Texas is a different ball game. You haven't hunted here so you know two things about hunting here, jack and shit and jack left town.
    5. Go back to NY if you don't like the way we do things here

Top Bottom