Arizona approves bill allowing guns in bars

Discussion in 'News Articles' started by TxEMTP69, Jul 1, 2009.

1. TxEMTP69

TxEMTP69 TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Feb 17, 2009
    Rockport
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/31683427/ns/us_news-life/?GT1=43001

PHOENIX - The Arizona Senate has given final approval to a bill that would allow people with concealed weapons permits to carry a gun into a business that serves alcohol.
    The 19-8 vote completes legislative action on the bill and sends it to Republican Gov. Jan Brewer. She has not said whether she will sign it, but she has long been a supporter of gun rights.
    The measure has pitted powerful groups representing gun and bar owners against each other, sparking a debate about whether guns and alcohol can coexist without bloodshed.
    Critics of the measure say guns and alcohol are a dangerous combination.

"We don't let people drink and drive, why should we let them drink and carry guns?" said Sen. Paula Aboud, D-Tucson, who voted against the bill.
    Supporters say they should be able to protect themselves and their families even if they happen to be inside a business serving alcohol.
    "It's very important that criminals are now afraid rather than law abiding citizens," said Sen. Jack Harper, R-Surprise, the bill's sponsor.
    The measure would ban drinking while packing and allow restaurants to deny entry to gun-toting citizens by posting a sign next to their liquor license.
    The bill initially required that a bar serving alcohol also serve food, but that provision was removed at the request of bar owners who worried about uncertainty over which bars have kitchens.
    Forty other states have approved similar measures, according to the National Rifle Association.
    Former Gov. Janet Napolitano, a Democrat, vetoed a similar bill earlier this decade that would not have required people to have concealed weapons permits in order to carry guns in bars.
    More than 127,000 Arizonans have concealed weapons permits, which require a gun safety course and background check, according to the Arizona Department of Public Safety.

2. Texas42

Texas42 TGT Addict

Nov 21, 2008
    Temple
    OMG, people carrying where they serve alcohol!!! there is going to be mass murder!!!

Like every place that serves alcohol is bar. Damn biased news reporting.

3. 2Shots1Wound

2Shots1Wound Active Member

Apr 1, 2009
    I'm not sure about this one. I've seen some stupid sh*t people do when all lit up. We'll see I guess..

4. Texas42

Texas42 TGT Addict

Nov 21, 2008
    Temple
    It is dumn to carry and drink, but you shouldn't have a problem just for carring into a place the serves alohol.

5. TxEMTP69

TxEMTP69 TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Feb 17, 2009
    Rockport
    It already stated that they could not drink while carrying, but that you could now carry lawfully into these establishments, also added that the establishment could post signage that I guess would be similar to our 30.06 but didn't go into much detail on it

6. DCortez

DCortez TGT Addict

Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
    Guns and booze do not mix. Drinking or not. Of course I've had a beer or two with guns in the house ... go figure.

7. M. Sage

M. Sage TGT Addict

Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    It's not like I always drink when I go into a bar. Be nice not being ordered to leave my gun at home when I'm just there to play designated driver...

I mean, we're trusting these people to walk around with deadly force in their back pocket, right? So we can't trust them to show some restraint and not drink while they're carrying!? The 51% part of CHL law needs to go away.

8. DirtyD

DirtyD Well-Known

Sep 20, 2008
    Spring
    I agree, I actually think we need to remove the majority of the restrictions regarding where we can and cannot carry, as stated above.... we are trusted to carry, but not make rational decisions regarding their use?

9. M. Sage

M. Sage TGT Addict

Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    The only restriction I'd like to see is something like 30.06, and that's only because I don't see forcing someone to allow me to carry on their private property.

10. Texas42

Texas42 TGT Addict

Nov 21, 2008
    Temple
    +1 :texas: