• ...and so much more!
  • TxEMTP69

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Rockport
    [url]http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/31683427/ns/us_news-life/?GT1=43001[/URL]

PHOENIX - The Arizona Senate has given final approval to a bill that would allow people with concealed weapons permits to carry a gun into a business that serves alcohol.
    The 19-8 vote completes legislative action on the bill and sends it to Republican Gov. Jan Brewer. She has not said whether she will sign it, but she has long been a supporter of gun rights.
    The measure has pitted powerful groups representing gun and bar owners against each other, sparking a debate about whether guns and alcohol can coexist without bloodshed.
    Critics of the measure say guns and alcohol are a dangerous combination.

"We don't let people drink and drive, why should we let them drink and carry guns?" said Sen. Paula Aboud, D-Tucson, who voted against the bill.
    Supporters say they should be able to protect themselves and their families even if they happen to be inside a business serving alcohol.
    "It's very important that criminals are now afraid rather than law abiding citizens," said Sen. Jack Harper, R-Surprise, the bill's sponsor.
    The measure would ban drinking while packing and allow restaurants to deny entry to gun-toting citizens by posting a sign next to their liquor license.
    The bill initially required that a bar serving alcohol also serve food, but that provision was removed at the request of bar owners who worried about uncertainty over which bars have kitchens.
    Forty other states have approved similar measures, according to the National Rifle Association.
    Former Gov. Janet Napolitano, a Democrat, vetoed a similar bill earlier this decade that would not have required people to have concealed weapons permits in order to carry guns in bars.
    More than 127,000 Arizonans have concealed weapons permits, which require a gun safety course and background check, according to the Arizona Department of Public Safety.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    OMG, people carrying where they serve alcohol!!! there is going to be mass murder!!!

Like every place that serves alcohol is bar. Damn biased news reporting.

2Shots1Wound

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2009
    OMG, people carrying where they serve alcohol!!! there is going to be mass murder!!!

Like every place that serves alcohol is bar. Damn biased news reporting.

I'm not sure about this one. I've seen some stupid sh*t people do when all lit up. We'll see I guess..

TxEMTP69

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Rockport
    It already stated that they could not drink while carrying, but that you could now carry lawfully into these establishments, also added that the establishment could post signage that I guess would be similar to our 30.06 but didn't go into much detail on it

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    It's not like I always drink when I go into a bar. Be nice not being ordered to leave my gun at home when I'm just there to play designated driver...

I mean, we're trusting these people to walk around with deadly force in their back pocket, right? So we can't trust them to show some restraint and not drink while they're carrying!? The 51% part of CHL law needs to go away.

DirtyD

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2008
    Spring
    It's not like I always drink when I go into a bar. Be nice not being ordered to leave my gun at home when I'm just there to play designated driver...

I mean, we're trusting these people to walk around with deadly force in their back pocket, right? So we can't trust them to show some restraint and not drink while they're carrying!? The 51% part of CHL law needs to go away.
    I agree, I actually think we need to remove the majority of the restrictions regarding where we can and cannot carry, as stated above.... we are trusted to carry, but not make rational decisions regarding their use?

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I agree, I actually think we need to remove the majority of the restrictions regarding where we can and cannot carry, as stated above.... we are trusted to carry, but not make rational decisions regarding their use?

The only restriction I'd like to see is something like 30.06, and that's only because I don't see forcing someone to allow me to carry on their private property.

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    See what screwed up media has done with this issue? Turned it into the bar room shootout bill for the drama.

The bill (sb1113) was referred to as something along the lines of the "restaurant carry bill". It's intent was to allow licensee's to be able to carry in a restaurant even if they serve alcohol, which you can't do currently. Imagine not being able to carry when you go to Chili's with the family.

The bill always had the provision that if a person was carrying they could not drink so it never was to allow drinking and carrying. But any establishment could post specific text (sounds like they would use something like the 30.06 sign) posted with their liquor license to prohibit carry.

It's only different from Texas in that it makes drinking while carrying a crime unlike Texas.

It's crazy how now that it's been passed, the media spins it to get people riled up. I've seen 2 articles so far and neither one included the bill number. My guess is they'll be afraid the bill number would be recognized and people would realize it was an article about the restaurant carry bill and it wouldn't freak anyone out.....you know the primary reason for the media these days.

It's no longer, "We report; You decide".

It's "We report; We've already decided for you".

DCortez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
    The bill always had the provision that if a person was carrying they could not drink so it never was to allow drinking and carrying.

Generally speaking, I'd guess sober people rarely cause problems in bars. Not counting mad wives, girlfriends, or exes. In any case, I'm past the bar phase of life so it's not a big deal for me.

TxEMTP69

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Rockport
    Generally speaking, I'd guess sober people rarely cause problems in bars. Not counting mad wives, girlfriends, or exes. In any case, I'm past the bar phase of life so it's not a big deal for me.

the bar phase ended for me after working as a doorman for a year

Thor

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    N Central Texas
    Having lived in Minnesota, I obtained my MN permit to carry. Their state law allows one to carry and have one, maybe two drinks. (0.04% BAC, ½ of what drunk driving is deemed to be now) They also allow carry (concealed is NOT required) into bars. If a business owner doesn't want to allow guns, all they have to do is post a sign and ask the carrying gun owner to leave, if the gun owner gets caught or observed with a gun. That said, it's common belief that drinking and carrying up there is not OK. It's also pretty much common belief that concealed carrying has a better tactical advantage, so most people DO carry concealed. When I left MN to return to my home state, there had been NO incidents involving carry in a bar. There had been a couple of alcohol related gun incidents. That's out of some 50,000 permit holders. All in all, the Minnesota Carry Law had a lot of input by a gun advocate and lawyer, Joe Olson, along with a number of other pro-carry advocates. IMO, Texas could use better (more lenient?) carry laws. I find the Texas CHL process cumbersome and the laws fairly restrictive. I volunteer at the local VFW and would really like to carry there, but because of the alcohol served there, I can't. There are times that we have a considerable amount of money out in the public areas. BTW, I don't normally drink alcoholic beverages, so that's a non-issue for me.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Anbu9
    Top Bottom