Gun Zone Deals

Arizona rancher shoots 'trespasser' who dies.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cool 'Horn Luke

Come on. Love me, hate me, kill me, anything.
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2022
    Corsicana, TX
    Your Sheriff gave you some really bad advice sir! Moving the body is tampering with evidence, and will get you jail time in any county in Texas on top of what will become a murder charge.
    Agreed. Navarro co. DA is bringing folks up on tampering charges on ANYTHING if you so much as touch and/or move whatever the "evidence" is. The whole "drag the body across the threshold" has gotten all chewed up in the interpretation drum. What's really meant by that is that you pretty much have to let the perp cross the threshold under his own power, then engage. Arizona has had a "Castle Doctrine" longer than Texas (I think, but my time line may be off a tad), but the application of it comes down to the local DA, and we all know we don't want to take that chance.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Hmmm. The bill wants to add to TPC 9,

SECTION 2. Subchapter D, Chapter 9, Penal Code, is amended
    by adding Section 9.45 to read as follows:
    Sec. 9.45. PROTECTION OF AGRICULTURAL LAND. (a) In this section, "agricultural land" has the meaning assigned by Section 75.001, Civil Practice and Remedies Code.
    (b) A person is justified in using force, including deadly force, against another to protect agricultural land, including persons and tangible, movable property on the land, if the actor reasonably believes:
    (1) the other's unlawful interference with the land constitutes deadly conduct under Section 22.05(b-1); and
    (2) the use of force is immediately necessary to protect the land from the unlawful interference with the land described by Subdivision (1).
    SECTION 3. Section 22.05, Penal Code, is amended by adding Subsection (b-1) and amending Subsection (e) to read as follows:
    (b-1) A person commits an offense if during the commission of an offense under Section 20.05 or 20A.02 of this code or Subchapter D, Chapter 481, Health and Safety Code, the person knowingly operates a motor vehicle or other means of conveyance in a reckless manner at excessive or unsafe speeds on agricultural land, as defined by Section 75.001, Civil Practice and Remedies Code.

That doesn’t really mean much if the trespassers are on foot.

wiredgeorge

Older than I was yesterday!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2010
    Mico TX
    What the heck does this mean? "immediately necessary to protect their land from unlawful interference." If passed, how does this apply to rural small acreage owners?

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    What the heck does this mean? "immediately necessary to protect their land from unlawful interference." If passed, how does this apply to rural small acreage owners?

If some rando is driving around on your land and your land meets the definition of agricultural land, deadly force is justified.

But that ain’t law yet.

ETA: the rando has to alos be smuggling drugs or humans for the justification to kick in. It’s a poorly written addition to 9.45 because it almost requires that a vehicle be used in the commission of the smuggling, but depending on if/how the code is updated, it may just add smuggling in a vehicle to the included executable offenses.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom