• vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    I never waited more than 10 minutes
    Mine are all dead before they hit the ground
    I was trained to shoot by my team leader I take the shot then put all my ammo back into the clip pouch for safe keeping, then go retrieve my deer after I utilize YouTube

diesel1959

por vida
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2013
    Houston & BFE
    You are serious, about waiting 30 minutes?
    Yep. Most times, the deer is anchored and DRT, but even if it runs, it's going to lay down and expire. If you pursue, it will keep running and not lay down. Waiting an appropriate period of time lets things take their natural course.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    First I've ever heard of waiting any set time.

I couldn't imagine taking 3 people out hunting and adding an additional 30 minutes to clean the deer, before getting the next hunter a shot.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    First I've ever heard of waiting any set time.

I was always taught this for bow hunting
    You often hit a good lung shot and the deer runs away and I always listen for a crash as they run into some brush normally and just lay down and bleed out.
    The idea behind waiting is that if you have an injured deer who just knows something hurts and I don't want to run, they will generally lie down and expire in a few minutes if they are bleeding good.

However if you start walking around looking for the deer and they have not died yet. Now they know some predator is after them and they will get back up and run like hell for a long time and you can easily lose them.
    They have a strong will to live and if they know a predator is after them they will run way further and cover more ground than you could ever imagine.

So you wait and let them expire

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I've never thought of bow hunting, given that consideration, it makes much more sense.
    Can't imagine doing it with a rifle and a neck shot.

busykngt

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney
    Next morning....
    It’s a ‘known fact’ that taunting the guy word words like, “bleed out” and “you picked the wrong house motherf’ker!” isn’t particularly good form. There’s a delicate balance between pride of ‘a job well done’ and expressing ‘incredulous contempt’ before the guy’s consciousness allows him to drift off to the nether regions forever.

P.S. - Asking him if he recalls those little black spirits in the movie, “Ghost” probably isn’t exactly kosher, either. But....whatever’s right....

Last edited:

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    While a whitetail antlers are nothing to want coming @ you most everything I ever shot & killed I knew when I deliver a kill shot. I have walked up on animal I shot that were in their dying seconds. Most memorable were my waterbuck & gemsbok in Africa.

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    Terrible mishap resulting in the hunter's death. Never a bad idea to wait at least 10 - 15 minutes or so before trying to find a deer you have shot but 30 minutes does seem a long time. As far as eyes open or closed go, whoever thought that one up was a bit of a moron at least as to half of that equation. Yes if you walk up on a deer you have shot and its eyes are closed - there is a damned good chance it is still alive because eyelids it takes muscular force to keep them closed that is just not there when it dies; thus when they die the eyes usually open. The thing is though, you cannot be sure a deer is dead just because the eyes are open - weren't the eyes open when it was walking through the woods right before you shot it!!! If you go by that eyes open equals a dead deer then there are an awful lot of zombie deer walking around.

alias

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2012
    spicewood, tx.
    Wait 30 minutes before approaching a deer you've shot?

:green:
    I know, I was going to say the same thing. The deer is already going to start to gas up after 30 minutes.

As a teenager, I've known road hunters that would grab the buck on the run while it was still kicking and drag it back to the vehicle, claiming the deer helped them run.

Top Bottom