• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sublime

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2019
    Dallas
    Having now viewed the body cam, to me it appears he had verbal contact and/or visual contact with the victim prior to or simultaneous with dog starting to become a factor.

The quality of the footage isn’t great, but to me it appears the officer establishes contact with the victim, tries to get get the victim to take control of the dog, possibly while creating distance from the dog, while it’s closing. The dog then comes between the officer and the victim at which point shots are fired. All in what seems to be less than 15 seconds.

I’m curious if that is what you see in the footage.

Yep. I'm saying in the process of the dog attacking him, he was not thinking of his backstop. I disagree with Doubleduty. His SA was fine and he initially takes steps before approach to the woman and he is aware to see the dog charging. He then appears to create distance before shooting the animal. Something had to be done with the animal. Now some here aren't pussies so maybe they would have gone hand to jaw with him or maybe deployed a taser, or ASP. Shooting a charging dog is not unheard of and I doubt outside policy. He violated a gun safety rule and I contend that many here would have done the same thing. All of which doesn't equate to him looking to violate her civil rights or to actually being a pussy. By all means, lock this guy up What do you think? 2 years? 10years? Maybe give him the max on a manslaughter charge?

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Yep. I'm saying in the process of the dog attacking him, he was not thinking of his backstop. I disagree with Doubleduty. His SA was fine and he initially takes steps before approach to the woman and he is aware to see the dog charging. He then appears to create distance before shooting the animal. Something had to be done with the animal. Now some here aren't pussies so maybe they would have gone hand to jaw with him or maybe deployed a taser, or ASP. Shooting a charging dog is not unheard of and I doubt outside policy. He violated a gun safety rule and I contend that many here would have done the same thing. All of which doesn't equate to him looking to violate her civil rights or to actually being a *****. By all means, lock this guy up What do you think? 2 years? 10years? Maybe give him the max on a manslaughter charge?

In this instance, I lean towards defending the error in the heat of the moment, as I can see both how and why it could have occurred. I also lean towards the agency actively communicating in a timely and transparent manner, which I believe has been done.

I also expect the department will consider a range of disciplinary options from nothing to criminal charges. When this concludes, I’d like to understand the rationale the department used to get to their disciplinary action, but that’s a nice to have and not a need to have.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    I also expect the department will consider a range of disciplinary options from nothing to criminal charges. When this concludes, I’d like to understand the rationale the department used to get to their disciplinary action, but that’s a nice to have and not a need to have.

I do not see criminal charges, but this guy is a massive liability and needs to find a new line of work before he erroneously kills again. Of course none of that will happen he will be back on the job, where he will be a liability to his fellow officers as he may be hesitant to shoot. It is a no-win clusterphuck.

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    In this instance, I lean towards defending the error in the heat of the moment, as I can see both how and why it could have occurred. I also lean towards the agency actively communicating in a timely and transparent manner, which I believe has been done.

I expect them to fire him. The cop who shot Christian Taylor for smashing windows at a car dealership, trying to unlock a door and engage officers in a fight, who then charged an officer (in training), while high on I can't remember what got canned for exercising poor judgement. Seems like there were 4 officers on scene and he went to the side of the building the kid drove his car through. Instead of setting up a perimeter, he goes in and tells the kid to get on the ground. His training officer was close enough behind to also engage the suspect with his taser. I don't see a problem with this, but someone lost their job.

The cop who shot Oshea Terry had charges filed against him. (I actually drove by this one. I was on my way to the Texas Appliance location that has scratch and dent stuff and was passed by more marked and unmarked cars driving like a 16 year old boy trying to impress his girlfriend. When the firetrucks flew by driving the same way, I told my wife, there's a cop who shot someone or has been shot at. They just don't drive like that unless someone has pulled the trigger already and there's no time to delay, Now a homeowner that was shot during a break in, they'd still slow down at the intersections to be safe, but not for a fellow officer)

Sublime

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2019
    Dallas
    Please explain why he should not be responsible for every bullet that leaves his gun.
    I already explained it, you just disagree with my reply. So does everyone that shoots a bystander accidentally receive the same prison sentence?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    I already explained it, you just disagree with my reply. So does everyone that shoots a bystander accidentally receive the same prison sentence?

Cops should be treated differently from ordinary folks. You want power over your fellow man, you need to earn it.

Sublime

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2019
    Dallas
    Cops should be treated differently from ordinary folks. You want power over your fellow man, you need to earn it.
    I guess we are switching topics again? What does earning the ability to have power over others have anything to do with what happened? Let's call what you posted - respect. During a contact with police, what are the factors you consider on rather the LEO has "earned" the ability to control you? I am curious now.

Sublime

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2019
    Dallas
    Because not every shooting is exactly the same, sheeesh.
    Correct. The legal term is extenuating circumstances. I know you know that. My point well never mind, I already explained what I think about this shooting.
    Contrary to this, I think other officers in APD should be reprimanded or fired in the death of another man not because he died but because they tazed the guy after he doused himself with gasoline. Again what happened to this officer was a freak thing. We expect these guys to do things most here do not want to do or could not do but then want to hammer them for being fallible.

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    THIS: "We expect these guys to do things most here do not want to do or could not do but then want to hammer them for being fallible."

Top Bottom