Arm the Staff

Discussion in 'Gun Legislation' started by Charlie, Feb 22, 2018.

1. Charlie

Charlie Illiterate TGT Supporter

Mar 19, 2008
    Kerr County
    After 27 years in public education, some as a teacher and some as an administrator, my suggestion, thought, would be to arm "some" of the staff. Granted that most of my career has been with small, rural school districts, I still believe that those that should, and want to be armed, should be. It's not for everybody by any means, but there should be some that won't mind and could do a great service for safety. There should be some training beyond an LTC but it could work. In the small country school I retired from, most of the teachers and staff shouldn't have an issue with it. At least it would be a start. Thoughts?

Last edited: Feb 23, 2018
    Treetop and Davetex like this.
  2. avvidclif

avvidclif Active Member

Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    When my mother started teaching most of the older kids came to school armed. And leaned them in a corner of the classroom until dismissal. They were expected to bring home something for the food pot.

CLC379 likes this.
  3. Charlie

Mar 19, 2008
    Kerr County
    It may or may not work in a large school district but it damn sure would in a small school district.

4. tonyt79

tonyt79 New Member

Oct 4, 2017
    Lavon
    That’s for sure. I agree with allowing teachers to carry but in a lot of inner city schools teachers probably did not grow up with the knowledge. I have seen people that don’t even know how to handle a firearm but grew up with family being killed in gang or other street activities. Training is the key

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Charlie

Mar 19, 2008
    Kerr County
    Agreed, training and the belief they can make a difference if the occasion arises. Some would not want to carry the burden but if some were, think of the difference it could make.

karlac likes this.
  6. Charlie

Mar 19, 2008
    Kerr County
    In my initial post, I indicated "staff". It doesn't have to be just teachers. It could be custodians (who generally know everything that's going on as the students typically are oblivious when they are around) aides, maintenance, etc.

Dred likes this.
  7. Malletor

Malletor New Member

Dec 7, 2013
    I am all for it aslong as proper training and background checks are involved similar to what airline pilots go through.

8. Charlie

Mar 19, 2008
    Kerr County
    Exactly!

9. easy rider

easy rider Allotropic Transformer TGT Supporter

Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    Why should there be mandatory training? Background checks are already done to be hired. I don't have to go through any college mandated training to carry at the college, why should it be different for lower schools? I certainly haven't heard of untrained teachers that carry at colleges being a problem.

TheMailMan likes this.
  10. BigBoss0311

BigBoss0311 Well-Known

Mar 8, 2010
    McKinney, TX
    I am probably in the minority, but I disagree with teachers being armed. If you want a security presence, you need to hire professional security personnel with the proper training and mentality. There are several other options available, and arming teachers would be very far down on my list.