• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TomVandyMurphyTX

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2015
    Murphy, TX
    I am a new member, but in no other way affiliated. Just east and North of Wylie in Collin County.

I understand it's under new management. Friendly staff want you have fun and be safe.

Outdoor ranges. Reasonable fees.

Old school walk the boards to the targets stands on the 50 and 100yrd rifle ranges. Shoot through the barrels on the rifle range was a problem for the bipod and interesting seating position on my Ar-15 precluded use of my 40 round magazines. The Huge fans make a big difference.

Old school chain drives the carriage for the Pistol range with clearly marked distances.

They police the brass constantly and you need to tell them if you want to save yours.

Overall I had a great time and enjoyed my outing. I need to understand heat management on the guns and for the shooter a bit more though.

Does anyone have "tricks" for better through the pipes range useage?

http://www.armadilloguns.com/index.html
    Guns International

busykngt

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney
    Gettin' out relatively close to my land where I shoot between Josephine and Farmersville.

Sent from my Apple thang.

qwiksdraw

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2013
    Sachse, TX
    Armadillo Guns is a great place to shoot. I am one of the earliest members from when the range first opened. The new owners have done well taking the place to the next level, so I congratulate them.

My first impression of shooting thru the tubes at the rifle range I thought would be awkward, but once you look thru th sights, it's not an issue. But then I have not used a bi-pod nor do I have 40 round mags, But then, in a real gun fight, you likely won't be shooting from the ideal position anyway.

See on the range!

kingofwylietx

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.
    Armadillo is decent place, I go there with my neighbors every once in a while to poke holes in paper. I'm not a fan of shooting through a barrel, but it's not a deal breaker for me.

kingofwylietx

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.
    I don't have a pic. It's not really a barrel, as in a barrel of oil. You have a shooting bench, then between you and the target is a culvert pipe (which goes through a mound of dirt) to keep from having any wild shots from escaping the rifle range. There are homes nearby, which is surely the reason they had to do it.

This is not at Armadillo Arms rifle range, but it gives you an idea of what we are talking about: https://iapcar.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/HAG_31.jpg

TomVandyMurphyTX

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2015
    Murphy, TX
    Well I was going to try and get pics next time I'm out there, but kingofwylietx pics are pretty dern close. Now that TargetMaster has suffered a idiot with a tracer just like Dallas Gun and who knows how long the rifle range will be KO, I guess I'm heading back sooner than I planned.

qwiksdraw

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2013
    Sachse, TX
    If you shoot using a red dot or a scope you don't even see the culvert. However, if you do see the culvert, you are waaaaaaaaay off target!

Eastexasrick

Isn't it pretty to think so.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2022
    Naples TX.
    Zombie thread. Brought it back because I just got an email from Austin Avery, saying the place is closing, the last day is the 14th. It then says it will reopen " at a later date under new ownership and a new name." That's it, no reason, no fire sale, just closing.

Dubya Rules

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2023
    Collin County
    Update:
    My family went to Armadillo Gun Range for many years. My wife and I both qualified for our LTCs there. I would get a family membership every year. Armadillo Gun Range is now called The Compound Nevada. It is named that because the new owner already had a facility named The Compound Royse City. I say "had" because it appears to have closed down. The website for The Compound Royse City now points to The Compound Nevada. Prices have skyrocketed. Our family membership when it was called Armadillo was around $300/yr. Now for a family of five to shoot at the renamed facility, the annual membership cost is $1,000 +$25 each time you shoot. Also, I have issues with the web site. On the Courses, Testimonials and About pages, the background image is of a high tech indoor range. The Compound Nevada is a low-tech outdoor range. The pics may mislead potential customers who view the website and think those pics are of the actual range. I should pause here to say that when I say it is low-tech, I am not disparaging the range - As I stated, I was a customer there for many years. I have no problem with using a chain pulley to set my handgun target distance or walking out on the rifle range to set up targets - I just have a problem with my family paying $1,000 a year +$25 per shooter for that.

If we compare other ranges in the area:
    Garland Public Shooting Range is an outdoor range without the weird tubes that The Compound has and charges $25.00 for a LIFETIME membership and $25.00 to shoot. A positive to this range is that they also have a shotgun area for clay shooting and a separate area for testing/checking your spread. A negative to this range is that on the rifle range, FMJ is not allowed. You must use hollow-point, soft-point, ballistic-tip or frangible ammo.

The Range in McKinney (VERY close to Princeton) is a 5-star indoor gun range. It is a full-featured facility with state-of-the-art shooting lanes, a computerized target retrieval system where you can set your own distance or just hit a preset button for a certain distance, and a large lounge area with very nice leather seating for friends and family to chat or hang out between shooting. There are TVs in the lounge area that show each of the shooting lanes, so non-shooters can watch. They also have a simulator that you can use which allows you to run through various training scenarios. We ran through a traffic stop, a domestic disturbance, and a couple of active shooter events. There are 5 simulator screens that surround you in a half-circle. In one scenario, my partner and I were dealing with a guy in front of us with a knife when another guy came from my left with a baseball bat, and I had to pivot to him. The simulator guns are real modified firearms with 80% blowback. The indoor area is VERY well ventilated with air from the outside, not re-circulated, so you don't taste gunpowder for hours after you leave the range. The cost to shoot for non-members is $25. Yeah, $25 for non-members. +$15 for an additional person to share the lane. Gun rentals are $15. The simulator is $40 for one person +$20 for an additional person for a half hour. Again, these are the prices for NON-MEMBERS! If you get a membership, there are discounts for the services. Their indoor rifle range is rated for up to 50 BMG. Tuesdays are lady's days where ladies shoot half-price and gun rentals are free. Their website is: https://therangeinmckinney.com/

I am not affiliated with any of the above ranges in any way. I am just giving some facts for the people in the Wylie/Murphy/St. Paul/Lucas/Sachse/Garland/Parker/Lavon/Nevada/Josephine/Farmersville/Princeton/McKinney/Allen area.

Last edited:

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    There are plenty of ranges in the area where you can shoot for $25/day without any membership fee on top of it. Screw that.

The range I go to down near Coriscana now (before we moved I drove through Murphy every day on my way home from work) is $25/day and they don't even offer memberships. First time we went the range owner let my younger son (who was 13 at the time) try his personal rifle out because he was impressed with my boy's shooting....and then wouldn't let me pay for the box of ammo Pickles used up.

Eastexasrick

Isn't it pretty to think so.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2022
    Naples TX.
    Update:
    My family went to Armadillo Gun Range for many years. My wife and I both qualified for our LTCs there. I would get a family membership every year. Armadillo Gun Range is now called The Compound Nevada. It is named that because the new owner already had a facility named The Compound Royse City. I say "had" because it appears to have closed down. The website for The Compound Royse City now points to The Compound Nevada. Prices have skyrocketed. Our family membership when it was called Armadillo was around $300/yr. Now for a family of five to shoot at the renamed facility, the annual membership cost is $1,000 +$25 each time you shoot. Also, I have issues with the web site. On the Courses, Testimonials and About pages, the background image is of a high tech indoor range. The Compound Nevada is a low-tech outdoor range. The pics may mislead potential customers who view the website and think those pics are of the actual range. I should pause here to say that when I say it is low-tech, I am not disparaging the range - As I stated, I was a customer there for many years. I have no problem with using a chain pulley to set my handgun target distance or walking out on the rifle range to set up targets - I just have a problem with my family paying $1,000 a year +$25 per shooter for that.

Garland Public Shooting Range is an outdoor range without the weird tubes that The Compound has and charges $25.00 for a LIFETIME membership and $25.00 to shoot. A positive to this range is that they also have a shotgun area for clay shooting and a separate area for testing/checking your spread. A negative to this range is that on the rifle range, FMJ is not allowed. You must use hollow-point, soft-point, ballistic-tip or frangible ammo.

The Range in McKinney (VERY close to Princeton) is a 5-star indoor gun range. It is a full-featured facility with state-of-the-art shooting lanes, a computerized target retrieval system where you can set your own distance or just hit a preset button for a certain distance, and a large lounge area with very nice leather seating for friends and family to chat or hang out between shooting. There are TVs in the lounge area that show each of the shooting lanes, so non-shooters can watch. They also have a simulator that you can use which allows you to run through various training scenarios. We ran through a traffic stop, a domestic disturbance, and a couple of active shooter events. There are 5 simulator screens that surround you in a half-circle. In one scenario, my partner and I were dealing with a guy in front of us with a knife when another guy came from my left with a baseball bat, and I had to pivot to him. The simulator guns are real modified firearms with 80% blowback. The indoor area is VERY well ventilated with air from the outside, not re-circulated, so you don't taste gunpowder for hours after you leave the range. The cost to shoot for non-members is $25. Yeah, $25 for non-members. +$15 for an additional person to share the lane. Gun rentals are $15. The simulator is $40 for one person +$20 for an additional person for a half hour. Again, these are the prices for NON-MEMBERS! If you get a membership, there are discounts for the services. Their indoor rifle range is rated for up to 50 BMG. Tuesdays are lady's days where ladies shoot half-price and gun rentals are free. Their website is: https://therangeinmckinney.com/

I am not affiliated with any of the above ranges in any way. I am just giving some facts for the people in the Wylie/Murphy/St. Paul/Lucas/Sachse/Garland/Parker/Lavon/Nevada/Josephine/Farmersville/Princeton/McKinney/Allen area.
    Thank you for the update. I has been a while since the last time I dropped in on Armadillo, 10, 12 months? . I have a place not far from them were we stay when we are visiting the kids and grandkids. I used them for transfers, and range brass. They were always affordable, and affable. Its a shame to see them go.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    If I'm going to pay $1000/yr plus $25/visit, the range is gonna have to look like this:

footer.jpg

OutlawStar

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 14, 2017
    Anna
    Update:

I haven't been to the range in McKinney yet, was going to give them a few months to work out the customer service and check-in flow. I typically go to the Texas Legends range in Allen; right across the freeway from Cabelas and Rudys. Also $20 for non-members. Free target simulations and other stuff. Rifle range is extra though. I would however like to find an outdoor range for 100-200 yards and willing to shoot shotguns other than clays. I hear B-tactical is hit-or-miss in terms of a good experience.

Also, what is the deal with ranges not allowing FMJ? I can semi-understand steel core because steel on steel can cause a spark and ignite a fire on the range, but no FMJ at all?

Dubya Rules

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2023
    Collin County
    I haven't been to the range in McKinney yet, was going to give them a few months to work out the customer service and check-in flow. I typically go to the Texas Legends range in Allen; right across the freeway from Cabelas and Rudys. Also $20 for non-members. Free target simulations and other stuff. Rifle range is extra though. I would however like to find an outdoor range for 100-200 yards and willing to shoot shotguns other than clays. I hear B-tactical is hit-or-miss in terms of a good experience.

Also, what is the deal with ranges not allowing FMJ? I can semi-understand steel core because steel on steel can cause a spark and ignite a fire on the range, but no FMJ at all?
    Nice! I'll check out Texas Legends. Glad you mentioned it is across from Cabelas and Rudys! My buddies and I are very familiar with those spots. haha

Thanks!

Top Bottom