Mar 10, 2015
    082614_guns.jpg
    DK Firearms

Pops1955

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    it has been good enough for Israel for decades. It works for those smart enough to do it in Texas.

cherok2e

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2018
    Friona, TX
    I'll make an unpopular comment.

In a professional capacity I interact with a lot on k-12 teachers.
    I've spoken to a half dozen of them this last week.

In my unofficial, unscientific, unverifiable "poll" 100% of them, mostly young women, effectively say "no way in hell" would they or anyone they know want to be armed and trained to take on a crazed school shooter.

The reality is that a teacher with a handgun taking on a modestly proficient AR-15 shooter would be a suicide mission. How many 30-something 4th grade teachers would even consider this?

Painful as it is, there is no non-painful answer to what happened in Florida.

Not unless our society can recruit all the retired special-forces military men and women to be 3rd grade English teachers and HS geometry teachers!! I'll not hold my breath.
    Teacher with a handgun against an AR-15 wielding shooter, to me, is not the solution. The shooter should never get that far into the school. National guard personnel, not necessarily in uniform, could man the outside patrols along with signs stating armed patrol, instead of "Gun Free Zone" signs would suffice.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    Teacher with a handgun against an AR-15 wielding shooter, to me, is not the solution. The shooter should never get that far into the school. National guard personnel, not necessarily in uniform, could man the outside patrols along with signs stating armed patrol, instead of "Gun Free Zone" signs would suffice.
    If I was a teacher at that school, I would take a handgun over a chair any day to fight off an AR.

busykngt

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney
    The first two or three kids shot were outside of the school building (not inside it). Most of these shooters (not this particular instance, but most) are set on forfeiting their life (suicide). And is generally recognized, for someone committed to a suicide endeavor, there’s virtually no way to stop them before some damage (deaths) occur. Thus the call to arm folks who can respond more quickly to stop the threat.
    It’s not uncommon for these nut cases to kill themselves at the first sign of resistance to their actions. So in some (many?) cases, the hand gun verses rifle argument becomes a moot point. Otherwise, it certainly would depend on the marksmanship of the teacher involved.

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    Yep better to curl up in a ball and wait for him to finish busting down the door and start the slaughter over having a hand gun trained on the door so when he comes though at least he has to duck at worst <well best> Head shot

CLC379

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    The first two or three kids shot were outside of the school building (not inside it). Most of these shooters (not this particular instance, but most) are set on forfeiting their life (suicide). And is generally recognized, for someone committed to a suicide endeavor, there’s virtually no way to stop them before some damage (deaths) occur. Thus the call to arm folks who can respond more quickly to stop the threat.
    It’s not uncommon for these nut cases to kill themselves at the first sign of resistance to their actions. So in some (many?) cases, the hand gun verses rifle argument becomes a moot point. Otherwise, it certainly would depend on the marksmanship of the teacher involved.

only the shootings with high numbers killed make big news

the shooters who get taken out by a good guy with a gun before killing mass numbers dont make the news 24 hours a day for 2 weeks

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Unnecessary.

As mentioned, an armed teacher would have a huge advantage if defending a classroom.

I don't think anybody expects teachers to go in to the hallways to clear a school, but defending one room with one entrance...those aren't bad odds even if it's a handgun vs rifle situation.

I don't see military personal being stationed at schools or needed at schools. And I can assure you that those getting school duty wouldn't be the best of the best. More like rear D.

TheMailMan

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 3, 2015
    North of Kaufman
    Unnecessary.

As mentioned, an armed teacher would have a huge advantage if defending a classroom.

I don't think anybody expects teachers to go in to the hallways to clear a school, but defending one room with one entrance...those aren't bad odds even if it's a handgun vs rifle situation.

I don't see military personal being stationed at schools or needed at schools. And I can assure you that those getting school duty wouldn't be the best of the best. More like rear D.

Another problem with the military guarding schools is it's illegal under the Constitution. Then you have the problem of all those horny 18-20 year old E1-E3 people guarding kids not much younger than they are. They would be so distracted by all the nookie walking around they would be worthless.

You want to solve this....make school custodian jobs ONLY available to Veterans. They could then carry and even have a MSR locked in a rack somewhere in the school. That's assuming that schools have on duty custodians anymore. It's been years since I set foot in a school and I don't know if that's something that's been eliminated.

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009

Then let me ask this. Why do so many of these mass shootings always reveal that the shooter had more loaded magazines / ammo before he either fled or took his own life?

Seems that just the thought of an armed confrontation is enough to stop the attack, no matter what advantage of firepower exists.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    easy rider; All,

Give my kid sister a revolver & just a few minutes to hide her students, pile up some desks & she will AMBUSH any predator from any available cover/concealment, who decides to enter her school-room to shoot up her homeroom.

Fwiw, NANCY is FAR from alone in being willing to DIE defending her class members, as she thinks of them as HER kids.

yours, satx

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    easy rider; All,

Give my kid sister a revolver & just a few minutes to hide her students, pile up some desks & she will AMBUSH any predator from any available cover/concealment, who decides to enter her school-room to shoot up her homeroom.

Fwiw, NANCY is FAR from alone in being willing to DIE defending her class members, as she thinks of them as HER kids.

yours, satx
    My students may be older, but I still feel I have a responsibility to them while they're in my class. I do also have some high schoolers.

cherok2e

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2018
    Friona, TX
    Unnecessary.

It doesn't necessarily have to be military but keeping all weapons outside is preferable to in class room. Guard have to report for duty so much a month don't they. Doesn't seem like they would all be rear D.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    It doesn't necessarily have to be military but keeping all weapons outside is preferable to in class room. Guard have to report for duty so much a month don't they. Doesn't seem like they would all be rear D.
    Why would keeping guns outside be preferable to guns in the classroom? That doesn't even make sense if the shooting starts inside.

Jack Ryan

Mr. Medium
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2016
    Eseldorf
    Same as I'd like to just see the government accomplish the most BASIC, most SIMPLE task you could possibly ask, ENFORCE THE LAWS WE HAVE ON THE BOOKS, before they all start falling all over each other starting new laws. I'd also like to see MOST teachers in most schools just mostly accomplishing the most simple basic task at hand. Just teach the little snots to add, subtract, spell, read and write FIRST. I don't see any point in expecting armed defense with deadly weapons from teaching institution who can't even get the difference between think and thank through people's head.

Can you name three teachers in your entire experience, K-12, you would want to be shooting in the class room with your kids? Responsible for guns in the school. When is the last time you went shooting with a school teacher?

Banks don't hire school teachers to guard the bank in the summer months. There is probably a reason for that.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Jack Ryan,

I was born/raised in a little rural (and far from rich) NETX county & I personally know more than a dozen teachers there, who have their LTC from TX & with whom I have gone shooting/hunting over the years.

It's NOT that hard to protect kids from a shooter IF you are in the room & have a weapon to ambush the predator with, from behind a desk, bookcase, from the cloak-room, etc.

Doing MOST ANYTHING is better than being sitting ducks, cowering in a corner, pleading for mercy and/or waiting to be killed!!!

yours, satx

busykngt

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney
    Jack Ryan, I thoughted u was rite at furst but then I thoughted of Mr. Black, Mr. Webb, Mr. Leathers and quiet posibly Ms. Parker - no relation to Bonnie, at least as fer as I no (she beat my as in the sixth grade with a paddlin’ I still remember to this here day!). Any one of them techers could take care of one of them thar terrorist nut jobs even without a side iron.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom