Join TexasGunTalk

Armed Teacher Poll

Discussion in 'Politics' started by puma guy, Feb 24, 2018.

1. Charlie

Charlie Kinda' Sorta' Literate TGT Supporter

Mar 19, 2008
    Kerr County
    I've worked with teachers most of my life. Many, male and female, would have no problem carrying concealed. Especially in the small rural districts that I've worked in. In the city schools, it would be probably much different. My daughter is an English teacher in a small district in West Texas and she knows how to shoot and would probably not have a problem carrying, especially in her purse. It should be entirely up to the individual, male or female.

cherok2e and Davetex like this.
  2. HKShooter65

HKShooter65 Well-Known

Actually:

"
    WASHINGTON — President Trump on Thursday enthusiastically embraced a National Rifle Association position to arm highly trained teachers to fortify schools against mass shootings like the one last week. Mr. Trump, who said the armed teachers should receive extra pay as an incentive, promoted his idea as demands for stronger gun control intensified across the country.

“You give them a little bit of a bonus, so practically for free, you have now made the school into a hardened target,” Mr. Trump said. The president estimated that 10 percent to 40 percent of school employees would be qualified to handle a weapon — he offered no data for the claim — and said he would devote federal money to training them."
    Trump proposed making schools "hardened targets" and paying teachers more to carry.

I'm terribly distraught and want, as much as anyone, to keep students safe.

I don't know how.
    Maybe arming teachers is plausible.
    The teachers I've personally, just this week, asked think it's a terrible idea. Admittedly most of them think Trump is terrible to begin with.

3. Charlie

Charlie Kinda' Sorta' Literate TGT Supporter

Mar 19, 2008
    Kerr County
    If they don't want to be armed, don't arm them. Simple. Doesn't. doesn't make a rats ass what they think about the president.

Davetex and busykngt like this.
  4. Darkpriest667

Darkpriest667 Well-Known

Jan 13, 2017
    Fort Worth

Must be some weird schools I've worked in two high schools and it's heavily male. HEAVILY.. Most of the coaches, even girls coaches are men.. but hey .. 3/4 of ALL high school teachers might be.. but that includes california.

BTW the crappy link you gave me... shows that 40% of all secondary teachers (including middle school which is 6-8) are male... so if you take out 6-8 I was probably right but whatever. Have a good night,

Davetex likes this.
  5. easy rider

easy rider Allotropic Transformer TGT Supporter

Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    I'm pretty sure that we're all in agreement that if someone is not comfortable carrying, they shouldn't. What I was saying, my opinion if not others, is that teachers that have an LTC should be allowed to carry for defense in schools. So far as I know the sky hasn't fallen since colleges allowed concealed carry, and I don't believe it will fall if the lower schools allowed it.

cherok2e and satx78247 like this.
  6. easy rider

easy rider Allotropic Transformer TGT Supporter

Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    Although I'm a teacher, I'm not too keen on the incentive part. Teachers may get the training offered, but would that make them better? What was their position on guns before they decided they want the extra pay? I think it should be a choice, not an incentive to carry. To me someone that has made a choice to own and carry handguns would be someone that would probably train on their own, not just for extra money.

DougS63, seeker_two and Davetex like this.
  7. Darkpriest667

Darkpriest667 Well-Known

Jan 13, 2017
    Fort Worth
    I dont need to be paid more to do my job which is to keep kids safe AND educate them.

8. sidebite252

sidebite252 Well-Known

Mar 26, 2013
    Lake Texoma
    There are thoughts all over the map on this. I support qualified teachers with handguns but a very close friend who is a teacher has a lot of concern over the liable issues of LTC in class. I get it and he shouldn’t qualify to carry. Very simple. Not everyone is would or will.

9. roberthleeii

roberthleeii Active Member

Jul 24, 2016
    I am sorry but I am tired of this argument. I am a teacher and I carry everywhere but school. By this logic no one should be able to carry when at work...

Darkpriest667 and Davetex like this.
  10. roberthleeii

roberthleeii Active Member

Jul 24, 2016
    As a teacher I agree. I am not in favor of the financial incentive. I only want people who are carrying for the right reasons. I actually would rather pay for another teachers training that works in my children's school. I would be up for free training though. :)