Gun Zone Deals

Army adopting SIG 320?? Good enough for me. I got one Saturday.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HKShooter65

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    3ca7c7a2-de40-401e-b679-969f68771411-original.jpg

My Tacops variant is awsome.

Army:
    M17 Full size.
    M18 Carry size.

Mine has been on one outing Sunday.
    Flawless with about 7 assorted types of assorted 9mm ammo.

Hearing safe with my little Ti-Rant Mini.
    Movie-myth-quiet with my full size can.

Thunk-thunk-thunk-thunk. A joy to shoot.

I'm a hammer guy.
    Striker adverse generally. I hate Glocks for the pure joy of it.
    This new-gen gear is bringing me into the 21st century.

Attachments

• 3ca7c7a2-de40-401e-b679-969f68771411-original.jpg
      3ca7c7a2-de40-401e-b679-969f68771411-original.jpg
      236.2 KB · Views: 942
    Last edited:

OLDVET

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Richardson, Texas
    I am a Army veteran.
    I bought a couple of FDE P320s after it was announced they would be the new military weapon. Both feel very comfortable in my hand, but I was disappointed in my ability to shoot either one well. I am generally a good shot with almost any firearm I own, so this bothered me. One of my P320s failed to cycle after every shot. I let other people test it and the same situation arouse for them. A trip to my gunsmith friend and a little filing took care of the problem. I later sold both of my 320s.
    Good luck with your's.

HKShooter65

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I am a Army veteran.
    I bought a couple of FDE P320s after it was announced they would be the new military weapon. Both feel very comfortable in my hand, but I was disappointed in my ability to shoot either one well. I am generally a good shot with almost any firearm I own, so this bothered me. One of my P320s failed to cycle after every shot. I let other people test it and the same situation arouse for them. A trip to my gunsmith friend and a little filing took care of the problem. I later sold both of my 320s.
    Good luck with your's.

I shoot hammer guns better that striker guns due to the generally poor striker-inherent trigger creep.

The only acceptable way to get away with disparaging Glocks (I don't like them) is by saying 1911s are sublime.

My only truly beloved striker fired pistols are my HK P7s and they are a unique case.
    And I like my VP70Zs just because they are so damn weird.

If my 320 continues to function fine it may become my always-in-the-truck-safe gun!
    Hopefully your bad one was a rare anomaly. Surely the military extensively tested them.

OLDVET

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Richardson, Texas
    Over the years I have had bad luck with Sigs in general.
    A few years ago I was at a local gun store and spied a Compact Sig 1911 I liked. The clerk handed me the pistol and I gave it a once over for function. It was fine.
    I asked the clerk if they had any more, because I don't like display models. He went into the back and returned with two boxes from the storeroom. I opened the first box and tried the pistol.The trigger pull sucked. There would be resistance at the start, then free travel, and then resistance before the trigger finally broke. I passed on that one. The clerk handed me the second box. I opened it and tried to open the slide. No luck. Neither of us could force the slide back. Something had it bound up. I passed on it too.
    Ended up with the display model after all. It was the only one that functioned correctly out of the three.
    A few weeks later I sold it to a guy that wanted it more than me.
    I know Sig builds good guns. I just seem to find the ones that should have stayed at the factory.
    Enjoy yours.

perfor8

God, guns, and guts
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 30, 2018
    Fort Worth
    This isn't a comment on the 320, I don't know anything about it - don't own one. And I'm not anti Sig, I'm picking up a 365XL today. But the army doesn't make purchasing decisions based on quality or what works best, they make decisions based on what lines the pentagon's pockets.
    Read "Boyd: The Fighter Pilot Who Changed the Art of War". Colonel John Boyd is the OODA loop guy, although his biggest contribution to the world is probably his Energy/Maneuverability Theory. The book details his incredible contributions to the art/science of aerial combat. The biggest take-away for me, though, was the vast corruption he fought against in the pentagon. Tale after tale of purchase contracts diverted to the seller that offered the biggest bribe, essentially. Bear in mind this is always at the cost of the lives of fighting men. If anything, I'm understating it. The government is always the problem.

Last edited:

45tex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    I've known so many people that carried only ball ammo, Cause if its good niff for Uncle Sam it good enough for me. Never considering the role of the Military and why.
    I'm sure you will enjoy your Sig. They are well made quality firearms.

Antares

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2015
    Seabrook, TX
    I have a 320RX and I have a 320c that had the trigger updated during the scare. I love both guns and the only failure I ever had was the 320RX failed to stay open the last shot when I first fired it. It now works great I found that the 320c is easier to shoot it is not as large. Both guns are great to shoot and are very accurate even with my old eyes (however the Romeo one makes being accurate a lot easier. My grandchildren prefers the 320c as it is easier for them to handle. My granddaughter 14 shoots very accurate and loves to go shooting. She likes the Taurus TX22 best as it doesn't recoil hardly at all. My grandson 10 also prefers the Taurus, but likes to shoot the RX because it is cool. Doesn't shoot as well as my granddaughter who actually listens to advice. I like the 320 pistols and want to get a p365 as soon as I can afford one.

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    I shoot hammer guns better that striker guns due to the generally poor striker-inherent trigger creep.

The only acceptable way to get away with disparaging Glocks (I don't like them) is by saying 1911s are sublime.

My only truly beloved striker fired pistols are my HK P7s and they are a unique case.
    And I like my VP70Zs just because they are so damn weird.

If my 320 continues to function fine it may become my always-in-the-truck-safe gun!
    Hopefully your bad one was a rare anomaly. Surely the military extensively tested them.

Testing was cut short once sig dropped their bid by a very large amount of money.

HKShooter65

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    ....the army doesn't make purchasing decisions based on quality or what works best, they make decisions based on what lines the pentagon's pockets.

Hmmmm.
    Hoping that is not true.

After some re-engineering tweaks the pistol seems to me chosen for its merits.

The 1911 served for 2/3 century
    the M9 for 35 years.

Picking the P320 is a really big deal.

Why is the M9 being phased out?
    After some initial issues 30+ years ago it seems to be serving marvelously/

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    Hmmmm.
    Hoping that is not true.

After some re-engineering tweaks the pistol seems to me chosen for its merits.

The 1911 served for 2/3 century
    the M9 for 35 years.

Picking the P320 is a really big deal.

Why is the M9 being phased out?
    After some initial issues 30+ years ago it seems to be serving marvelously/

Like it or not, DA/SA is not what you want new shooters lo learn on. It takes more time to learn 2 triggers than 1.

Strikers have only one trigger pull, and the two finalists in the MHS program (Sig & Glock) were/are much simpler than the M9. They are also lighter and smaller.

It won't matter, give the sig a few years and armorers not replacing wear parts and people will be talking trash about the 320, just like what happened with 1911's, and Berettas.

bgw45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    D/FW
    It's my understanding that the Army's adoption cost ( per pistol ) is about $175.00. My adoption cost would be substantially higher. Even though I'm an Army vet I'm not enticed. Guess my age, I still want an M14. Though I shot expert with both the 14 & 15 I loved the 14 and disliked the 15.

I recently grew out of it and bought a 15, just for fun.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    Nothing against the SIG, but the U.S. Army's acceptance of any firearm is the LAST reason for me to own one!

Argument 1: The Army buys stuff from the lowest bidder who meets the minimum requirements.

Argument 2: The Beretta M9 (92F).

Argument 3: See arguments 1 & 2.

Exception 1: The M1911A1

\discussion

claymore504

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Katy, TX
    The P320 is an excellent weapon. The M17 will serve well with the military for years. The M9 is an excellent weapon as well, but it was time to replace it. The main problem I see in the military with the M9 is the combination of the very large grip and the long DA trigger pull reach. This combined with the Army pistol training being garbage makes it rough. I see units that throw an M9 in soldier's hands once a year for qual and that is it. They struggle to just qual and then do not touch the handgun again until next year.

Its a funny thing. When the M9 was replacing the 1911, and still to this day, soldiers said give them a 1911 over the M9 any day. Now I am hearing soldiers say they would take the M9 over the M17 any day...LOL. Never fails. In reality both the 1911 and M9 served very well for decades and so will the M17/M18.

The striker fired P320 is going to make qual scores look better for these types of units. I have enjoyed all my P320 handguns and I have never had an issue with any of them (P320 full size TacOps 9mm, P320 Compact 9mm w/RX slide kit, P320 Sub Compact 9mm, M17, X-Carry and X-Carry Pro).

Out of those I would say my full size TacOps 9mm is my favorite. The P320 is the only handgun for that is ready to go out of the box. I do not change sights, mod the trigger or add Talon grips.
    Ac3gehO.jpg

Attachments

• Ac3gehO.jpg
      Ac3gehO.jpg
      68.1 KB · Views: 396

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    Nothing against the SIG, but the U.S. Army's acceptance of any firearm is the LAST reason for me to own one!

Argument 1: The Army buys stuff from the lowest bidder who meets the minimum requirements.

Argument 2: The Beretta M9 (92F).

Argument 3: See arguments 1 & 2.

Exception 1: The M1911A1

\discussion

Despite my arguments against it, the m9 is a good pistol, provided you replace recoil springs.

Also, add the M16/M4 and M1 garand to your exceptions list.

birddog

bullshit meter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    nunya
    This isn't a comment on the 320, I don't know anything about it - don't own one. And I'm not anti Sig, I'm picking up a 365XL today. But the army doesn't make purchasing decisions based on quality or what works best, they make decisions based on what lines the pentagon's pockets.
    Read "Boyd: The Fighter Pilot Who Changed the Art of War". Colonel John Boyd is the OODA loop guy, although his biggest contribution to the world is probably his Energy/Maneuverability Theory. The book details his incredible contributions to the art/science of aerial combat. The biggest take-away for me, though, was the vast corruption he fought against in the pentagon. Tale after tale of purchase contracts diverted to the seller that offered the biggest bribe, essentially. Bear in mind this is always at the cost of the lives of fighting men. If anything, I'm understating it. The government is always the problem.

That book is a must read. His observations were spot on.

Speaking of .gov and .mil contracts, I could write a book on the mismanagement and wasteful spending I’ve seen on both sides of the fence. Pork barrel politics is as bad as bribery, just not illegal.

HKShooter65

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Forgetting and forgiving all politics and economics for the moment.
    I'm pursuing reliability and functionality.

I have, in a box, 11 different 9mm ammo variants.

Thus far the 5 or 6 9mm ammo types I've fired were flawless.

If it functions with all of the 11 9mm ammo types this Sunday on my shooting outing I'm thinking that the 320 SIG will become my always-with-me truck gun.

claymore504

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Katy, TX
    Forgetting and forgiving all politics and economics for the moment.
    I'm pursuing reliability and functionality.

I have, in a box, 11 different 9mm ammo variants.

Thus far the 5 or 6 9mm ammo types I've fired were flawless.

If it functions with all of the 11 9mm ammo types this Sunday on my shooting outing I'm thinking that the 320 SIG will become my always-with-me truck gun.

Most likely it will not let you down. The P320 is excellent.

Top Bottom