• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • claymore504

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Katy, TX
    Went I first enlisted we had the BDU and it was perfect. Camo pattern worked and the uniformed held up to all that us Infantrymen put it through.

Deployed to Iraq in 2005 and had the DCU and was SO glad. This was the time the transition to the ACU was going on. All the guys I talked to hated the ACU and said it was garbage.

Well, I have now been wearing the ACU since 2006 and it does suck. The camo pattern blends with nothing, well except for floral couches!LOL

The new uniform is basically an improved ACU based off of the multi-cam pattern that has served so well during OEF. Cant wait to get them!
    Guns International

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    When I first joined, we had those old solid green pickle suits with shiny brass belt buckles. They were just phasing out the yellow sleeve rank stripes and going to the collar pins. Later on, the BDUs were a welcome change and they were still using those when I retired. I always thought the DCUs were sharp looking. The ACUs, not so much.

I can't get use to everyone wearing black berets either. Back then, only Rangers wore black berets.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    When I first joined, we had those old solid green pickle suits with shiny brass belt buckles. They were just phasing out the yellow sleeve rank stripes and going to the collar pins. Later on, the BDUs were a welcome change and they were still using those when I retired. I always thought the DCUs were sharp looking. The ACUs, not so much.

I can't get use to everyone wearing black berets either. Back then, only Rangers wore black berets.

Those black berets were uber hot. It's like wearing a wool sock on you head.

Coop45

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 9, 2012
    texas
    Bryan Williams and I was with Archibald Henderson fighting the Seminoles and Hillary Rodham was a donut dolly. I hear that Bryan still has ring around.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    So you're excited about a cammo pattern that has been issued since 2010? the Universal Camouflage Pattern (UCP, which it wasn't) was selected over Multicam in 2004, so another way of looking at this is that the Army is finally realizing its mistake eleven years later...

By the way, don't let anyone fool you, "Scorpion W2" is Multicam; the latter is simply the brand name of a commercially available pattern. It is a modified version that the Army developed with Crye (owners of Multicam) back in 2004. The only difference is that the Army refused to pay Crye royalties for its use. I suspect there will be a huge lawsuit over this once the Army fields the new uniform.

But, for now, it's time for the Air Force, Marines and Navy to adopt this one uniform instead of wasting ridiculous amounts of money on the useless designs they've come up with!

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    By the way, I started my career in the green fatigues as well. Never liked those and was extremely happy when we converted to the BDUs!

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Bryan Williams and I was with Archibald Henderson fighting the Seminoles and Hillary Rodham was a biscuit bitch. I hear that Bryan still has ring around.

LOL

But just had to fify ...
    Hillary and "dolly" just don't work. ;)

claymore504

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Katy, TX
    So you're excited about a cammo pattern that has been issued since 2010? the Universal Camouflage Pattern (UCP, which it wasn't) was selected over Multicam in 2004, so another way of looking at this is that the Army is finally realizing its mistake eleven years later...

By the way, don't let anyone fool you, "Scorpion W2" is Multicam; the latter is simply the brand name of a commercially available pattern. It is a modified version that the Army developed with Crye (owners of Multicam) back in 2004. The only difference is that the Army refused to pay Crye royalties for its use. I suspect there will be a huge lawsuit over this once the Army fields the new uniform.

But, for now, it's time for the Air Force, Marines and Navy to adopt this one uniform instead of wasting ridiculous amounts of money on the useless designs they've come up with!

I am excited about it. They may have been issuing it since 2010, but only when deployed in theatre, so I am not sure what you are getting at.

As for the Marines, at least they got it right when they changed from the BDU. They use a separate woodland and desert camo pattern that works much better than the one pattern fits all Army ACU.

As for the black beret, that was another huge FAIL by brass. I was wearing the maroon beret when they first talked of taking the black one away from Ranger Batts and making all regular Army troops wear them. The officer that thought of that crap said it would improve moral and unit cohesion since he saw that in the SF, Ranger and Airborne units. Little did that moron know, is the beret does not make a unit elite, have high moral and great unit cohesion. The intense training and pride do. Thank goodness they brought back the PC..at least for wear with the daily uniform.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    in 1986 we had plain green fatigues. Us MP's had to blouse our boots with those dumb little mini bungee cords, anyone remember those?

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    in 1986 we had plain green fatigues. Us MP's had to blouse our boots with those dumb little mini bungee cords, anyone remember those?

Yep!

0575_lg.jpg

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs

Yep, we had them 20 years before that.
    And used them in the Corps at A&M before that.

claymore504

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Katy, TX
    I remember those things. A few guys were using them when I got to my first unit in Korea. I tried them, but just did not get the point. Much easier to blouse in the boots.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Grew up with bundles of them in the house. And you damned well better have them done right too or get your ass chewed.

sent from an idgit coffeeholic

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown

I was in an airborne unit. I think those things were kinda frowned upon amongst the airborne. Don't really know why.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    As for the black beret, that was another huge FAIL by brass. I was wearing the maroon beret when they first talked of taking the black one away from Ranger Batts and making all regular Army troops wear them. The officer that thought of that crap said it would improve moral and unit cohesion since he saw that in the SF, Ranger and Airborne units. Little did that moron know, is the beret does not make a unit elite, have high moral and great unit cohesion. The intense training and pride do. Thank goodness they brought back the PC..at least for wear with the daily uniform.

Key word in bold.

Nobody wanted to trade their patrol cap for a beret. Without the meaning behind it, it was just a hot piece of headgear that was terrible at keeping the sun out of your eyes.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Never even tried the little bungee cords.

Knew some who used the little cinching strap things in the cuff of the pants to tie them. Didn't get why some wouldn't just stuff then in their boots a bit and go on. One less thing to come loose or untied.

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    Never was in the Army, but we used those little bungee cord things. Never tried just tucking them in. How well does that hold up when you're active? At home we were always in the field. Seems like they would just come untucked crawling around stuff.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Never had an issue with it, even in basic where live revolved around being face down in the dirt.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Robert Harrell
    Top Bottom