• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DCortez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
    The kids in Channelview had another name for it.

That's what it was called where and when I was a kid. Come to think of it, my grand parents, uncles, aunts, and father never used the word. My mother did a few times as a nick name for a very dark Mexican friend, but mostly kids did.

Back then though, kids were thrown outside and not allowed to lounge around the house. We never really heard money talk, sex talk, or a lot of things.
    Venture Surplus ad

SapperMapper

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2009
    Killeen
    This is the same media that was reporting Hasan shooting a 'cop-killer' pistol.

Don't they teach fact-checking in journalism school anymore? Or do the reporters not care because they know that most of their readers don't care?

Anyway, he should have just rigged up a stainless steel door mat and hooked a cattle fence generator to the door bell button.

Jason

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Austiin area
    Anyway, he should have just rigged up a stainless steel door mat and hooked a cattle fence generator to the door bell button.

All good until he forgets to turn it off and the UPS man tries to deliver a package and gets blown backwards into the yard in a flaming ball of brown nylon...

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    LOL! The UPS man don't come to my house and they're rude most of the time anyway. I like that Idea to If I ever have a problem with kids doing that I'll remember that one.

brickboy240

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Houston, TX, USA
    The guy was arrested for aggravated assault and a warrant for hot checks...NOT for the ammo.

Sure, they got the ammo part wrong, typical media.

However, this move was beyond stupid. Chasing kids (11 and 12...mind you) down the street and forcing them to lie down and pointing an AR at them?

If I was a parent of one of the kids and came outside and saw this...the AR holder would be facing my Glock. Thats absolutely crazy. He was...at no time...ever in fear of his life.

He will probably face a civil suit from one or both of the kid's parents...ading insult to injury.

I cannot believe that some people actually think he should have shot them. Hello!....they rang your doorbell and ran! Its not as if they vandalized you home. It happened at 8:40 so its not as if you were asleep. Give me a break!

This is irresponsible gun ownership here....plain and simple.

- brickboy240

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    While I agree with you on almost everything you just said, I also think you are slightly incorrect as to your time frame. From the reports I've read and heard the kids had been at this for quite awhile. (ie from very early in the morning) Like I said everything the guy did was wrong and stupid I just thought I'd bring the timing up.

country_boy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    The news got it wrong.

Texas prohibits armor piercing ammo

Armor piercing ammo is defined in 46.01

What is considered armor? Or metal? What if people have ap military surplus ammo for rifles? If ap ammo for handguns is banned, then what about the 7.62 x 25 round?? It can pierce 1/4 steel plates.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I remember reading awhile back that apparently at some point the ATF made a ruling that M855 green tip specifically was NOT considered AP. Since M855 is pretty common and easy to get, wouldn't surprise me if that's what he had and someone jumped the gun making a comment about AP incorrectly. Either way, it's all speculation at this point. The guy was obviously an idiot and went way overboard. In the same regard, that mother is an idiot for not keeping her kids under control and teaching them not to do stupid shit.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    So what happens when you go from standard AR to pistol type AR does your ammo all of a sudden become illegal.

Only if you have M995 "Black-Tip" AP rounds in it.

The law stipulates that M2 .30-06 AP is not illegal, mostly because it does not have a steel core. The M855 has a penetrator cap in it's core but is not comprised solely of one of the listed materials (brass, tungsten, etc.), ergo it is not considered armor piercing.

The M995 ammo contains a large steel penetrator in it's core with an aluminum cup to center it, so it is considered armor-piercing. Since it is a rifle munition it is legal to own, possess, shoot, etc. so long as it is in a rifle.

smschulz

Paid for CUT
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Houston, Texas
    Armor piercing ammo is defined in 46.01

(12) "Armor-piercing ammunition" means handgun ammunition that is designed primarily for the purpose of penetrating metal or body armor and to be used principally in pistols and revolvers

Just to clarify ~ wouldn't that mean M995 Black Tip is legal?

robocop10mm

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 9, 2009
    Round Rock
    As I wrote, the media comes up with all kinds of lies all on their own. And there is a chance that some cop told a reporter something about AP ammo before he confirmed the law.

That said, I don't believe for one second that the police would intentionally make up a charge. They know it cannot be prosecuted, and there are other things the guy could be arrested for.

It is also a crime to arrest someone when you know it is not a violation.

Who thinks they are the only ones who should have firearms? It is not the cops, and if you think so you have been drinking too much right wing extremism kool aid.

You apparently have never dealt with the Austin PD. This kind of crap happens regularly in Austin. False charges are commonplace. The Neighborhood in question was annexed several years ago. It is in Williamson County and the city of Austin. I have ZERO respect for that agency. Stupid is rampant. Arrogance is issued upon Academy graduation. They have a bad rep in the community for a reason.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Are we sure this guy isn't a D.C. cop?

vlcsnap-2009-12-21-08h37m52s148.jpg

Ring and Run...about as dangerous as snowballs being thrown at your Hummer!

Cheers! M2

robocop10mm

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 9, 2009
    Round Rock
    You apparently have never dealt with the Austin PD.

I am just gonna call you out on that. Please provide proof.

See, I can SAY anything. Like I can SAY, that you are a drug dealer and cheat at your taxes.

OK. I have worked side by side with APD (I am not APD but in another large agency that basically surrounds Austin) for over 25 years.

1. Arrested a guy for Possession of a Prohibited Weapon (machine gun) for the properly registered Full Auto he had secured in his trunk with the tax stamp paperwork. It took threats of arrest of the officer and his entire chain of command by an ATF Agent for them to return his LEGAL gun and drop the charges.

2. A senior Sergeant threatened and berated one of our officers for moving two vehicles off the roadway that were involved in a minor traffic accident. Sergeant wanted to arrest our officer for "Tampering with Evidence". Yes,the law was in place instructing drivers to pull moveable vehicles off the road in non injury collisions. It took a DPS trooper, taking jurisdiction and threatening to shoot the Sergeant to get APD off the scene.

3. An APD officer told me that I had no jurisdiction to write a traffic citation in the city. My jurisdiction surrounds and overlaps theirs.

4. They arrested a woman who shot her estranged husband after he kicked in her apartment door. Charged her with Agg Assault. Grand Jury no billed at DA's request. He did it again with his arm still in a sling from the first time. Her aim was better the second time, killed him. Yep, they arrested her again. This time for Intentional Murder. Again no billed. The kicker was that in the interim the DA's office turned the gun over to us to return to the owner. Release card signed by District Judge. When APD realized she shot him again with the same weapon, their Lt. threatened to arrest our evidence custodian for releasing the gun to her. He got himself a Criminal Trespass Warning for our building from the Captain.

5. I have heard several officers say that having a long gun in a pickup is DOC (brandishing a firearm).

The list goes on and on. They have some very good officers. They also have some very arrogant, ill informed officers. As an agency they do not like for people to own firearms. When they recover a stolen firearm, they try to NOT return it to the rightful owner. When they recover one of our stolen firearms, it takes about a year and numerous phone calls for us to get it back. Manytimes they have "accidentally" sent the recovered guns to the crusher.

Yes they have a PR problemin many parts of the community. Much of it is deserved.

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    I work with LEO's on an every day basis and I never understood why it is that alot of the guys that are within 7-8 years always seem alot more arrogant. I mean yea there are some that aren't but its about 7 outta 10 that are, maybe its just the younger generation I don't know.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    I deal with APD pretty regularly I've met good and bad officers. But I've met good and bad from just about every agency around here. The ones that tend to do stupid things the most is APD. Leander PD is another topic entirely through. LOL!

Top Bottom