• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • okie556

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Longview, TX
    I have waited tables for 4 years and am now a manager at a steakhouse. If you sit at my table I would like $5 right off the bat no matter what is ordered just for taking my table. Then the tip goes up from there. (Given that my service is great) If I do not preform then I do not expect a great tip. We make our money by how many tables we turn so when you sit there for 30 minutes after your meal talking tip accordingly. While you are sitting at my tabe I cannot make money off it. It is amazing how many people leave $5 on a $100 dollar tab. Off of that $100 dollar tab I have to give 3% back to the store to tip out host bussers and bartenders. So I would end up with $2 dollars. Plus we make $2.13 an hour. Thats just my rant on tipping. If I do good then show me with a good tip. If I do bad then show me I did bad with my tip. At our store the customer doesnt have to pay the grat but are encouraged to.

Now you hit my hot button! If you sit at my table I would like $5 right off the bat no matter what is ordered just for taking my table. Give me a break........you might be the worst server I have ever encountered.......I don't owe you jack.........you must earn it! The complete food service industry is a sad joke........one pays $2-3$ for a .50 cent diet coke....$3-$4 for a side salad.......$20 for a $9 steak........on and on.........then you expect your fee up front for bring it to the table. My advise would be get out of this type of job that only pays $2.13 an hour and take a job that pays you what you think your worth!

TxEMTP69

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Rockport
    My understanding was that after the $2.13/hour if your tips did not equal the current minimum wage then your employer had to pay you at least minimum wage, this is something I heard from a waiter once, is this true? And that most waiters and waitresses earn much more than that but only claim lil over that.

If your busser doesn't clean your tables well/fast enough and can't sit more people in that table do you not tip him/her as much? Do you have that option or is it policy your establishment has to auto-tip them?

I know in most bars the bartenders use to tip the barbacks according to how much they do/help (been 10 yrs since I worked in a bar, but most barbacks helped with more than one bartender)

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    Okay I have been out to eat and had the wait staff extend their hand to me for a tip. I laughed at them and said "you were getting about $13" and walked off. If it is not added onto the bill you will have to earn it. You don't get jack squat for me just sitting at your table that is ridiculous! How in the hell do you plan on getting paid for something you haven't done? Your attitude and service but mostly the attitude is what gets me to tip. I've tipped a guy $15 on a $25 tab that I had to get another waiter to refill my drink twice. Because the hostess was filling this guys section up and leaving the other guys empty so that he and she could chit chat. I told the manager that all of the tip was to go to my waiter and not the other or the hostess because of the BSing and the way they just sat around while the waiter I had was busting his ass to handle all his tables. He thanked me on the way out and said that the hostess and the other waiter were told to leave by the manager on staff. So he came out on top because he never blamed his problems on them once. He had a big smile on his face the whole time he was at our table and did as best he could. He earned it. I've also left one penny sitting on a table with "the service here sucked" left on a napkin or a comment card I can't remember witch.

TxEMTP69

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Rockport
    I've done the penny thing but have never left a note. I've tipped waiters and waitresses that were not ours but helped out when ours was busy with other tables (tipped ours also if it wasn't just shitty service but a busy night). I've gotten my own drink before and not taken it out on the waiter/waitress. There is a stark difference between a busy night with a good waiter and a busy night with a bad waiter. Same goes for slow nights. My experience has been slow nights make them stand out more.

TrailDust

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    Kalifornication
    What the guy says in the video referring to McDonald's, where society says tip these people here but not these people here, I agree with him that's total b.s. I've never seen someone tip a worker at fast food place like El Pollo Loco. They take your order, they provide your food, and in my area the workers will bring your food to your table. No one tips! I'm the only person who tips these people and thank them for the service too. I object to both mandatory tipping and the unfairness with which society deems some people should get tips and others are not worthy.

android

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Quite frankly, it makes me angry to go out to eat and have to do the manager's job while I'm there.

Restaurant management should be evaluating employee performance and providing compensation based on that performance. NOT me.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    What is the fuss about?

Most resturants that have cloth napkins have some kind of mandatory tipping for large parties (and 18% is about as good your going to get). I don't consider it "fine print" BS. It isn't a PA thing or an East Coast thing.

If you don't like the price of a resturant, then don't go. It is expensive to eat out.

If you don't like the service, then don't come back. A 15% or 18% tip is a cheap lesson. You might talk to the manager, but no one is making you order.

I don't think any government should "require" any tipping, but it is expected of you, the patron, to tip.

If you don't like what you get, then go somewhere else next time. There is also a difference between bad service cause the server is lazy or bad service cause they are understaffed. Good help is hard to find.

Byaah_19

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2009
    DFW
    "I have waited tables for 4 years and am now a manager at a steakhouse. If you sit at my table I would like $5 right off the bat no matter what is ordered just for taking my table. Then the tip goes up from there. (Given that my service is great) "

I did say that given my service was great. Not good or average but great then thats what I expect.

Out of my total sales they take 3% of my tips to pay bussers host bartenders etc. Most rest. I know of do this. So if my total sales after tax was $1000 for the night then I owe $30 dollars of my tip money to the store which they automatically take out by the cash I have to remit back to the store. It sucks!!!

Yes if my tips plus my 2.13 an hour dont equal min wage then the store has to cover that to give me min wage at least. But you would have to go above alot of peoples heads to get this done. Big pain in the a$$.

Its tough to find jobs so this is where some of us have landed for right now, waiting tables. Please when you go out to eat remember to have realistic expectations and realize we are all human being just trying to survive.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    "I have waited tables for 4 years and am now a manager at a steakhouse. If you sit at my table I would like $5 right off the bat no matter what is ordered just for taking my table. Then the tip goes up from there. (Given that my service is great) "

I did say that given my service was great. Not good or average but great then thats what I expect.

Out of my total sales they take 3% of my tips to pay bussers host bartenders etc. Most rest. I know of do this. So if my total sales after tax was $1000 for the night then I owe $30 dollars of my tip money to the store which they automatically take out by the cash I have to remit back to the store. It sucks!!!

Yes if my tips plus my 2.13 an hour dont equal min wage then the store has to cover that to give me min wage at least. But you would have to go above alot of peoples heads to get this done. Big pain in the a$$.

Its tough to find jobs so this is where some of us have landed for right now, waiting tables. Please when you go out to eat remember to have realistic expectations and realize we are all human being just trying to survive.
    I think I personally have realistic expectations and tip any time I have the money to tip if my service was good. If my service was bad the tip goes down. That is the way it works. I have not tiped a good server before and a Jimmy Johns delivery guy once but that was because I was flat broke and had about enough money in my pocket or the bank account to cover my bill. But I always tell the server that I am in fact flat broke and I would give him as big a tip as I could and it may be less than a dollar but the usually just told me that they understood and let it go.
    Just in case there are any of those guys on this forum I'd like to say sorry I really am broke 95% of the time.

lazypineapple

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    Granbury,Texas
    thats a good trick.
    the waiter knows they have to tip because of the large group.
    why not give crappy service to the group, they are locked in.
    and work the smaller groups for tips,
    but in all, the Manager should have made it right,

TrailDust

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    Kalifornication
    On a related subject, whenever I go to a hotel I tell the staff that I will carry my own bags. It's not that I'm a cheap bastard...well, a little ...but what it really is is that I don't want and I don't need someone to carry my bags for me. That makes me uncomfortable as I don't like to be waited on hand and foot. I'm just a regular joe who likes to do things for himself, and if that offends some bellhop that's just too bad. It's my way.

Top Bottom