Lynx Defense

AR's the wave of the future....................

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • paknheat

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2022
    Texas, Somewhere near Palestine
    What exactly do you have AR's for? Long distance shooting? Otherwise I'm getting confused as to the ballistics argument in this thread.

That’s a great question. Why I have AR’s for two reasons:
    1- shooting holes in things I think need holes shot into.
    2- making piles of empty brass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Guns International

TEXAS "All or nothing"

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2021
    Texas
    Show me where I’m wrong.

Take a .224 55 grain FMJ. It’s a flat base short bullet. Even a 55 grain target bullet is still short albeit with possibly a longer ogive section but that has no bearing on the rifling engagement.

Now take one of the 80-90 grain .224 bullets. They are going to be longer. There’s no way around that.

I do have QL but not following what you are saying to look at for comparison.

Just going by Berger's site for info with 30cal 185's there's a difference of .104" from shortest to longest of their bullets. That's just cup n core. Add all copper and they'll be longer. The 55gr 22cal's I have from Sierra are boat-tailed as some hp's of the same caliber and weight do have a flat base. Hornady have some 62gr that are flat base and boat-tailed as there are not as many to choose from in the smaller calibers as 30cal. When you check ql regardless of cartridge in 30cal, you then change between brands, but stay with either 180 or 185's as they are plentiful. On the right side where it displays bullet info there will be a length shown of the bullet.

TEXAS "All or nothing"

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2021
    Texas
    What exactly do you have AR's for? Long distance shooting? Otherwise I'm getting confused as to the ballistics argument in this thread.
    As for AR10's using mag length of 2.830" you can be limited on bullet selections that seat the bullet very deep in the case. Also, without throating for the specific bullet choice it might not be usable or as usable in an AR. Even though the same weight bullet can vary in length, 1 might be better than the other as bc's will change in many ways.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    That’s a great question. Why I have AR’s for two reasons:
    1- shooting holes in things I think need holes shot into.
    2- making piles of empty brass.

While I do enjoy shooting AR's, there are other rifles I enjoy shooting as well. Mainly, I believe they are some of the best defensive rifles I own.

Lonesome Dove

A man of vision but with no mission.
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 25, 2018
    Cut n Shoot, Texas
    Nope.

What we are seeing in a few Blue states is the last and biggest temper tantrum of a bunch of leftists reacting to Bruen.

Saint Thomas of the Gun even warned them not to get even more stupid in Bruen. When this next batch of gun cases reaches SCOTUS I have a feeling that the decisions will be written in such a way that all wiggle room is going to be eliminated. SCOTUS setting absolute restrictions what are sensitive places, possibly nationwide Constitutional Carry or at a minimum forcing states to recognize out of state CHLs. Weapon bans taken off the table.
    I always said the same thing but when you actually look around and see what they have done it's pretty damn obvious where it's headed and they will get it done if they don't get voted out. Yet we've all seen what they can do with that as well.

Laufer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2022
    Lakeland/Memphis TN
    I bought my First in 2016 at age 60. Yes - age 60.

It didn't 'grow' on me, and soon traded it for an unused Hungarian AMD-65 in 7.62x39, with the 'correct' serial # "SA 2000 M" (indicates --authentic-- milspec Hun. components) beneath the receiver.

Had I bought - instead - a 20" classic by Colt, with better sight distance etc, might have kept such, and a friend owns a "Green Box" Colt AR from 1985.

If I watch enough movies about post-apocalyptic scenarios and finally --confuse pure entertainment-- with plausible future reality, my VZ-58 also is a contender to be a suburban street warrior.

Last edited:

Bamban

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Anderson Mill Area
    More AR15 barrels for the TX JRs high power team to be used at Camp Perry CMP National Matches. Shilen donates the blanks and I spin them up. The team gets the barrels for free except for the meloniting fee.

In our program, the kids age put in the year they turn 20. At any given year we have at least 18 juniors. When we to Csmp Perry to compete, parents accompany the team to support the kids.

The kids going through structured marksmanship program, we are hopeful they carry the 2A torch.

20230321_145026.jpg

BeatTheTunaUp

Fux with the best, Die like the rest
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 17, 2012
    Temple TX
    IMO FOR MOST PEOPLE AND USES A BULLPUP IS A SOLUTIOB TO A PROBLEM THAT DOESN'T EXIST
    I guess, but what's wrong with an sbr length gun with a rifle length barrel? I find the ergos better with the balance and pistol grip in the middle of the platform. Triggers in bulpups used to pretty terrible, but they've come a long way and are usually better than a mil spec ar trigger

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    I guess, but what's wrong with an sbr length gun with a rifle length barrel? I find the ergos better with the balance and pistol grip in the middle of the platform. Triggers in bulpups used to pretty terrible, but they've come a long way and are usually better than a mil spec ar trigger
    PERSONAL PREFERENCE PERSONALLY I THINK BULLPUPS LOOK DORKY AND QUEER!

popper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    SOLUTION TO A PROBLEM THAT DOESN'T EXIST
    With the number of AR style pistols and problems with braces (that are very useful), it would solve a problem for a short truck gun, woods carry rifle, etc. So far not many 'modular' ones in production but popularity would change that..

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    If bullpups had way better triggers and more comparable to AR's they might be a better seller! Maybe if the sear is AT the trigger instead of at the hammer it could be better.
    The biggest hurdles to bullpups is accuracy and cost. I could get my AUG right at 1.5", but not consistently. That's a $1600 rifle, my Colt 6920 and socom ($900 and $1500) were at 1" solid, sometimes less.

Top Bottom