Venture Surplus ad

ARs to avoid, which brands are not worth the money?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2013
    Houston, TX
    Avoid the pukes at Troy and their products.

Normally I would agree with you, but I think that they've been punished enough for their questionable hiring tactics. Regardless of how they choose to conduct business or how butt-awful ugly the stock is, this is the best deal in ready made rifles right now, if you don't mind the Northern Guard rollmark (hail Canada, eh?):

TROY Bravo Rifles | Troy Defense

The only thing not mil-spec on it besides the furniture is the barrel which is nitrocarbed instead of chrome-lined - which may actually be a good thing.

You can't argue with $599...

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    I know they used to with the Lothar barrels. Any idea if they will now that they are drilling their own. They don't advertise that they do that either, you just have to know.
    I saw that the other day on LaRue. Personally I find that not to my liking. For accuracy it takes 2 things: Very expensive machinery to make high end bbls and VERY SKILLED machinists.

In fact I was giving serious thought to ordering up a LaRue till I read that, think I will pass now...

TaylorS

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2014
    I had a A2 setup from century traded it off for a 30-30 it was a problem child I'm running a SAA upper on a spikes lower a model 1 upper on a Anderson " I think" lower and the black out is a hardened arms over a new frontier lower not impressed with the new frontier lower but I can alway rotate it out as opportunities become available. Other then that one I mentioned at the top I rarely have any trouble with anything I still have

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    What does it take to be in the AR business?

Couple of years back a company made a splash in the AR pool. For what ever reason I did some digging on the company. It took a lot of work but I finally got down to the nuts and bolts of it. In short the company was a front for another company. The front company was just that, just a front for reselling the guns. The guns were made (ore so they said) at some high tech CNC facility, etc etc etc. Well not really. They were made at a guys barn and what was painted on the sign and parked around the barn were wreckers. Yes it was a wrecker service in the middle of no where Oklahoma. I question if they even made them there. Several calls to the front company with questions about type and grade of Alum used, who made their BCG and other technical questions. NONE of which were answered with anything other than a Tech will call you back...which never happened.

Take Away: If you have a garage and get a manuf FFL then you are in business, there is not a single component that you cannot buy at some price point from Top Gun to junk. You biggest challenge is having enough money to do the advertising and marketing, do that and do that right and get rich at least for a short period of time until the AR community figures it out.

This message brought to you by my sponsor:

Lucky GI AR Mfg, Chinese Take Out and Stomach Pump Room Inc

'you buy now GI, best AR since rain'

Some things are not a good value at any price!

TAVM

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2014
    Has anyone on this group purchased or used the rifles from Texas-AR? Their facebook reviews are really good and I'd like to support something more local.

Captain

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2014
    I have a Stag arms T3L. Witch I believe you were asking about off the shelf rifles. It has been great, with no issues at all. Now it did cost $1100.00 but that is do to the long free float fore end and being left handed.

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using Tapatalk

Odiferous

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Evans, Georgia
    What's the experience with ATI? I just picked up a "complete minus lower" kit from cope's with a 1:7 5.56 barrel/chamber and assembled it this weekend on an Anderson lower I had. I'm hoping to get it to the range tomorrow. I bought it to have a "cheapo" AR - all in I'm under $500 on it - that I can take to the range for friends, family, etc.

It joins my New Frontier poly/M&P15 build, my pending custom SBR build (Anderson/Mako/CMMG), and a .458 SOCOM build sometime later this year.

I picked up an ATI AR from the Gun Shack in Helotes around September/October 2015. I shot about 500 rounds of 55g and 62g hardball out of it, and had zero problems - the rifle was as accurate as I was.

I'll shoot 100-150 rounds through it maybe 2-3 times a year.

5 Screw Smith

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2011
    Atascosa Co.
    I have a BCM mid-length complete rifle with a 14.5" pinned barrel and a PSA complete mid-length rifle with a FN cold hammer forged 16" barrel (factory).

My hand guard furniture and pistol grip furniture is Magpul. My sliding stocks are B5.

IMO you can't beat either of these brands for a milspec type rifle. Sure, you can pay more for a Daniel Defense or LMT but are they worth the money? I personally don't think so. :machine:

Last edited:
    Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Buster1979
    Top Bottom