Arthritis????

Discussion in 'Fitness' started by scap99, Apr 27, 2016.

1. scap99

scap99 <b>Moderator</b> Moderator

Nov 10, 2010
    Cypress
    Anyone?

I'm 41 and may have psoriatic arthritis.

Went to a rheumatologist this afternoon, and had blood drawn.

His initial educated guess is the above, but I won't know for a few days.

Starting a corticosteroid in the morning. Hope it knocks out the pain.

What sucks the most is that its showing up in my trigger finger.

I know it could be worse, but damn it sucks when things like this show up in life.

2. Charlie

Charlie TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Mar 19, 2008
    Kerr County
    Good luck! Hope it works out as only a minor thing! :green:

3. scap99

Nov 10, 2010
    Cypress
    Thank you. I'll update as I learn what hand I was dealt.

Just got off the phone with mom. Sounds like her bloodline is the source. Both her parents had it, and so does she.

4. grasshopperglock

grasshopperglock Error 404

Jan 5, 2012
    I'm close to your age. X-rays show it in my wrists, elbows, and fingers.

My rotator cuffs are shot. I can't even throw a football. Catch yes, throw no.

5. scap99

Nov 10, 2010
    Cypress
    Wow, that sounds awful.

Sorry to hear.

6. ROGER4314

ROGER4314 Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!

Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I have arthritis almost everywhere and it takes turns on which joints flare up with pain. Some pain is severe and some is outrageous. It depends on the day and whose turn it is to fire up.

I refuse to take drugs and rely on magnets, Tens pain control units and a few home remedies. It's a constant challenge to identify pain control methods and to identify triggers that make the joints flare up. Unfortunately, the latest experiments proved that Chinese food is a major trigger. One meal of Chinese food will cripple me for a week! I love Chinese food and I'm gonna miss it!

As to the "shots", Bonnie determined that they make her gain weight and cause other unpleasant side effects for her. Try them and see how they work for you.

Good luck! Your best option is to see what works best for YOU. There are no "one size fits all" remedies!

Flash

Last edited: Apr 27, 2016
  7. coachrick

coachrick TGT Addict

Dec 26, 2009
    north-north Austin
    Definitely no one-size fits all remedies; but I'll pass along my 40 years plus experience of some pretty nasty bouts with various arthritic ailments. Psoriatic arthritis is a different animal; but I believe I've benefited greatly by keeping my uric acid in check with small doses of alopurinol(zero side effects that I can see), eliminating sucralose(Splenda) and making sure my potassium levels are high enough. Unfortunately, "they" say sugar contributes to all sorts of inflammation...certainly my weakness; but I have cut back.

Again, psoriatic is different; but five years ago, the docs recommended a double knee replacement since my knees were so chewed up with arthritis. Following the above and taking krill oil with hyaluronic acid daily has allowed me to skip the surgery and I can still ride 25-30 miles on a mountain bike with virtually no trouble in my joints(plenty of other parts are screaming for the next 12 hours; but not my knees).

Best of luck, scap.

8. jrbfishn

jrbfishn TGT Addict

Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    I've had arthritus as long as I can remember. Some times it all I can do to pick up a pencil. Docs thought I would be wheelchair bound years ago. No meds and no pain killers. Sometimes I do wear knee braces if the pain gets too bad. Rarely a chiropractor. But only for a few visits.
    This is one case where I can honestly say, I feel your pain.
    Not one single joint in my body works right. Not even my toes.

from an idgit coffeeholic

9. scap99

Nov 10, 2010
    Cypress
    Thanks for the support. I started my corticosteroid pack this morning. Here we go....

10. ZX9RCAM

ZX9RCAM Over the Rainbow bridge... TGT Supporter

May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Sorry to hear it.
    I have it in both of my thumb-to-hand joints.