• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • coachrick

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    north-north Austin
    I'm in my early forties and have arthritis pain everywhere, everyday. Actually, the thing that bugs me the most is people trying to brush off the pain like it's "not too bad" when they have no clue. I hope the Humira works for you; I'll keep following this thread and see what is working for others.

Quick rundown on me....Touch of polio at a very young age...not debilitating; but some joints were so mechanically unsound, they would fuse and break apart with some regularity. Knees got chewed up from athletics on top of the "natural" progression or should I say deterioration . Extreme gouty episodes started in mid-twenties, almost always controlled by Indomethacin within 48 hours. Excruciating pain(as my Dad would say...a toothache in your foot, wrist, knee, etc) was my companion for many years. The X-rays of my foot showed bone spurs that had wrapped around to look like elf shoes. Second surgery(triple arthrodesis) in '03 solved the foot problem by fusing 4 bones into one! But, what about the knees?....what of the elbow from 30+ years on the tennis court?

Some changes I made that may or may not have helped:
    1)Cut out artificial sweeteners, particularly Sucralose. Many people have found a link between Sucralose and proprioceptor function...as in your muscles can't figure out how to control your joints(walking up stairs, stepping off a curb, etc). Not directly related to joint inflammation; but I have to think they are connected somehow.

2)Better control of uric acid levels in my system...not tested at the site of a flareup, but general serum levels can make a difference I believe.

2)Reducing sugar intake...my Kryptonite...I have an incredible sweet tooth; but I'm convinced of the direct relationship between most sugars and inflammation and uric acid.

3)Checked any meds or supplements for their role in inflammation. Many years ago found any drug with the HCT component would trigger a gout attack right zippy...no more of those, please.

4)I'm convinced that keeping my spine in alignment(particularly my lower spine) is instrumental in my lack of pain for the past two+ years. YMMV and all that.

I wouldn't wish serious arthritic pain on any one...been there, have the occasional twinge from time to time...don't want any more! Good luck out there!!!
    Hurley's Gold

Sock Puppet

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2015
    Working on a 30 day scrip of 15mg Meloxicam (fancy NSAID). Supposed to relieve for 22 hrs. Unimpressive so far. I'll probably go back to Aleve when the bottle's empty.

I've try Meloxicam several different times for chronic low back issues. Works about as well as M&Ms...but then so just just about any NSAID. I get some relief with Tramadol, but not a lot.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    My arthritis is mostly from injuries that keep coming back to haunt me. I've said many times that every part of my body has been busted up at least once. Sadly, that's true.

About a month ago, I started on the Tart cherry juice. My right big toe was smashed by a falling fire extinguisher about two years ago and combination of gout and that toe smash, it never stopped hurting. The past week or so, it felt almost normal! Maybe the tart cherry works!

Flash

Wyldman

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2016
    My wife got me started on tart cherry juice and I am convinced that it does help arthritis. I have it in both shoulders, my right hand, my low back (from hell), and my knees. When they all fire off at the same time, it will leave me incapacitated. That's when the cherry juice shows it's worth.

Crush, kill, mangle, maim, destroy.

coachrick

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    north-north Austin
    The tart cherry discussion reminded me that I should mention taking Krill Oil with Hyaluronic Acid for the past couple of years is also part of the 'formula'. HA occurs naturally in the body; but it needs a boost in some of us. The Krill is a very good source of Omega 3 without overloading on 6 and 9.

I have tried the tart cherry extracts as well as some extract called Uric-Aid(tart cherry and others); but I've not noticed an improvement...same with ginger(although the ginger can be used topically as well as ingested...no benefit that I could see).

scap99

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Cypress
    So got off the Humira and going to start Cosentyx as soon as BCBS approves the scrip...hopefully this one works.

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    Wife has rheumatoid arthritis, different type I know.....went down the methyltrexate route, Humira, Infusion therapy, weekly injections at home, injections to her finger joints...everything on the market......Physically deteriorated to complete elbow replacement, complete knee replacement, foot reconstruction, fingers that go the wrong way....nothing worked. Then she went on Arava. She stabilized and has not has not experienced further deterioration for 4 years now....

Don't give up, but be realistic to the fact that stability may be the real goal.

Wish you well ......

Schutz

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2017
    Milam County
    One with osteoarthritis, as well as spurs in hips; lumber surgery and needing cervical surgery and scoping. All completely different but have gone through the rounds. If you're taking Mobic or any other similar type, you're dr should have you on prilosec protecting from internal bleeding. I know it sucks dealing with shit like this as we age but support from like minds/bodies helps.

coachrick

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    north-north Austin
    Damn!
    Makes me thankful for the comparatively minor aches I have to put up with.

As I mentioned a while back...after being in excruciating pain(occasionally) over three decades, I am recently almost pain free.Sunday, climbing under the kitchen sink to replace a garbage disposer in a much too small space did a number on my hips and I am now reminded of a portion of the pain I once endured. Not taking any anti-inflams yet; but another day of this and I might.

Sending out good vibes for those suffering with the debilitating nastiness known as arthritis in its various forms. Hang in there!!!

Last edited:

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    As I mentioned a while back...after being in excruciating pain(occasionally) over three decades, I am recently almost pain free. Climbing under the kitchen sink to replace a garbage disposer in a much too small space did a number on my hips and I am now reminded of a portion of the pain I once endured. Not taking any anti-inflams yet; but another day of this and I might.

Sending out good vibes for those suffering with the debilitating nastiness known as arthritis in its various forms. Hang in there!!!

Without going back to your post, what helped you out so much?

coachrick

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    north-north Austin
    Without going back to your post, what helped you out so much?

Cutting out all artificial sweeteners and cutting down on sugar(somewhat irregularly), regularly taking Krill Oil with Hyaluronic Acid and (to help keep the uric acid levels down) Alopurinol.

Of course, the bone-on-bone knee(s) couldn't magically recover; but I've had virtually zero knee pain in the last 4 years(after being told I needed double knee replacements about 5 years ago). Haven't had any pictures taken since I've been symptom free for so long, so I'm not sure what the x-rays would show damage-wise.

sergeant69

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 6, 2016
    san marcos tx
    was at the allergy dr. last year and he said what the hell is the matter with ur right hand? the knuckles (not finger joints) are real swollen. said if i don't start taking ibuprophen everyday its gonna get worse as its arthritis. i told him doesn't hurt too bad but my left thumb where it joins hand hurts like hell all the time so he sent me to an orthopedic guy and x rays show bad arthritis in thumb. wants to take something from my leg and graft it in there. said its the most painful surgery and recovery/therapy i can imagine. much worse than my back, knee and shoulder surgeries. or....i can wear a brace on thumb and live with the pain. i have opted for brace, ice, pain pills i take for back anyway, and rub on creams. am gonna check out the krill oil and hyaluronic acid as stated above.

BRD@66

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2014
    Liberty Hill
    Working on a 30 day scrip of 15mg Meloxicam (fancy NSAID). Supposed to relieve for 22 hrs. Unimpressive so far. I'll probably go back to Aleve when the bottle's empty.

Since we're here, I'll update. Almost a year later, Meloxicam is working wonderfully - just took some time to get it in my system, or something. With daily stretching exercise added in to the mix, I'm good.

Top Bottom