Hurley's Gold

assist sighting in a red dot with flip to side magnifier on sig 556?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • coryb512

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 4, 2012
    south austin
    anyone go to lone star gun range and would be willing to meet up one day to help me sight in my red dot? im a newb to the gun scene and seem to waste more ammo trying to sight it in then actually getting it done lol...any help would be appreciated! let me know...usually free sundays and ill bring the rifle and ammo (of course)
    Texas SOT

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    It's not all that hard. If nobody offers up (and I'm sure they will), just remember that the adjustments are labeled for IMPACT changes. "Left" means the bullet will move to the left, "up" means it will hit higher, etc.

Get a grid target with 1" squares, set up at 25 yards. Use a steady, smooth pull on the trigger, and don't anticipate the recoil. The rifle can't move. Print three shots, aiming at the dead center of the target. If those three shots aren't within an inch of each other, you're going to have to learn basics before it's worth sighting in. If they are (you should be able to get them to touch at 25 yards), you count how many squares left/right and then up/down. If your red dot has 1/2 MOA (minute of angle) adjustments, it's going to be 4 clicks to the inch. Double that if it's a good one with 1/4 MOA adjustment. So if you're 2 squares low and 3 1/2 right, you're going to give it 8 clicks in the up direction, and 14 left, assuming 1/2 MOA adjustment. Print three more shots and they should be very close, if not dead on.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Oh, and if you have back-up sights... sight those in first, then turn the red dot on and just move the knobs until the dot is centered on the tip of the front post. Then you can confirm the zero by actually shooting a target.

AusTex

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    anyone go to lone star gun range and would be willing to meet up one day to help me sight in my red dot? im a newb to the gun scene and seem to waste more ammo trying to sight it in then actually getting it done lol...any help would be appreciated! let me know...usually free sundays and ill bring the rifle and ammo (of course)

I will be back in town next tue night, and can help you out after that if you can wait that long. What type of red dot is it?

Thanks,
    Jeremy M

coryb512

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 4, 2012
    south austin
    I will be back in town next tue night, and can help you out after that if you can wait that long. What type of red dot is it?

Thanks,
    Jeremy M

If its not done by then I definitely can...not in much of a hurry...it's a spot red dot with 3x eotech flip to side magnifier. Dunno anything bout the spot red dot...purchased it mostly for the magnifier and the guy threw in the red dot.

Mikewood

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    Be sure to tighten the scope down and use removable thread locker like blue locktite on ALL your screws before the shoot.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Love to shoot
    Top Bottom