• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    I thought you could own a butterfly knife just not carry it, I thought the same thing about a switch blade knife. I guess I'm wrong? I'm not arguing anything just wondering. And I think the same way about the knife laws.

Texas does not restrict the "ownership" of weapons. Penal code section 46.15 makes it unlawful to POSSESS a switchblade. Possession includes in your home.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    So then how can they sell switch blades and butter fly knifes at the gun show? I mean they are being possessed by the vender's. How does that work?

The law makes it an offense to sell the knives too. However, LEOs and Military can buy and possess them, so I assume that is how they do it.

That and no one really cares?

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    No one in SA really cares about the lock blade law. I lose count on how many I see clipped inside pockets on a daily basis. I've used mine in front of a friendly SAPD officer, just to see if he'd say something about it. He didn't.

Only those under 5 and 1/2 inches. Texas law prohibits ALL knives OVER 5 and 1/2 inches. I see a loophole.

LOL The only problem with that is what will we be measuring the blade with, and does "blade" include everything to the handle or guard, or does it only include the part of the knife actually useful for cutting (the sharpened edge)?

I mean, if we're measuring with a tape measure or ruler, then 5 1/2" is a pretty easy target to hit. If we're measuring with something more precise like a set of vernier, dial or digital calipers or maybe a depth micrometer, then 5 1/2" is a lot harder to hit. Are we going to measure it to the nearest 1/16" (tape, ruler), the nearest 1/64"-.005" (scale, semi-precision tools) or the nearest .001"-.0001" (precision tools)

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    M. Sage, what do you mean by the "lock blade law?"

ahh, I see, so it seems that San Antonio passed an ordinace against lock blade knives in San antonio?

Why the heck would they do that?

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Watch a gang movie from the '50s. Everybody has a switch blade. Oh no, scary, gotta ban it.

Hollywood is responsible for most of the firearms bans on the books, no joke. Look at NFA '38 and all the gangster movies that came out around that time.

Ranger60

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Taylor
    As far as San Antonio, the way I heard it there was a knifing or gang fight or something at a Fiesta event, so, the city banned lock blades, but I have never heard of it being enforced. Other than an excuse to arrest a gang banger. *L* It was still legal to carry if your job needed it.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Wait, so let me see if I understand this. San Antonio has an ordinance against carry of even just a folding pocket knife?!?! If so, that is absolutely retarded.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Actually, I've heard, but need to confirm, that the lock blade law in San Antonio doesn't apply if you use your knife at work... which I do, all the time.

Why else carry a knife?

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    Actually, I've heard, but need to confirm, that the lock blade law in San Antonio doesn't apply if you use your knife at work... which I do, all the time.

Why else carry a knife?

Why wouldn't you carry a pocket knife? Only about 5 times a week, I wish I had my pocket knife on me, and my "job" doesn't require one. My future job won't require it (for some reason, patients don't want you doing procedures with a pocket knife. . . go figure)

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    As far as San Antonio, the way I heard it there was a knifing or gang fight or something at a Fiesta event, so, the city banned lock blades, but I have never heard of it being enforced. Other than an excuse to arrest a gang banger. *L* It was still legal to carry if your job needed it.

Yeah, I've heard the draconian law regarding knives in San Antonio, but I think it's really just one of those laws that never gets enforced until you do something stupid.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    So what's the big deal with switchblades anyway? Is this one of those antiquated non-sense laws?

Yeah, a spring assisted knife is just as fast as a switchblade. It's one of those "I'm scared of the evil man with a switchblade" laws. It's the same as "assault weapons" in today's public.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Dude, it's because of movies. Every gang movie in the '30s had the badguys running around with Thompsons and sometimes worse like in Public Enemy. Every gang movie in the '50s had kids running around with what again? Switchblades!

Hollywood - the source of a lot of our ills.

ethan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    Fort Worth (Currently in Iraq)
    i guess being military i'm allowed to say i carry a switchblade, which i do, i'll be honest, i also carry my auto on a daily basis, every where, every day, i've owned and carried 3 autos up til now, used them in plane view of more than one cop and had NO issues, in fact, i dont carry anything BUT switchblades, if you know what you're doing, and you present yourself that way, it shows.

if this is out of line, i'll edit but i'm gonna be honest

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    i guess being military i'm allowed to say i carry a switchblade, which i do, i'll be honest, i also carry my auto on a daily basis, every where, every day, i've owned and carried 3 autos up til now, used them in plane view of more than one cop and had NO issues, in fact, i dont carry anything BUT switchblades, if you know what you're doing, and you present yourself that way, it shows.

Not out of line, but if you carry a switchblade in the Great State of Texas while not in a official capacity then you are violating out state's laws.

You may have gotten away with it up until, but what would a Class A misdemeanor conviction do to your career?

I can tell you what it would do to you as a civilian; no CHL. You could not be hired as a security guard for 10 years.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX

Out of line? I don't think so, to each his own. But I would not be caught in possession of a switch blade around here. I think some military bases even restrict the use of switchblades. I will guarantee you that if a cop around here see's you with a switchblade they will take your knife and possibly take you to jail. Regardless of your military status.
    And +1 on txinvestigators post as well.

Top Bottom