• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tomharkness

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2009
    Well... let’s get back to the original story. Stan's is a good range for the price and he does not mind you picking up a little extra brass from time to time. However, I think he would probably say something if he caught you helping yourself to all the brass you could get your hands on from the local brass barrel.

I did know of one time where Stan’s pulled a range card and kicked someone off because they were shooting at the plastic barrels on the shotgun range. Stan also has closed circuit TV cameras watching over the individual ranges so that he can keep an eye on the looters… Astros might benefit from that technology.

There is another range if you don’t mind the extra travel and that is Eagle Peak Shooting Range over in Leander. They too have running water, clean restroom, and excellent facilities for the range… and I like the overhead cover that blocks the sun and rain while shooting. EPSR has more parking than Stan’s, but Astros will accommodate the most parking and shooters per day.

Please note that Eagle Peak as a clean restroom (singular) where Astros has clean restrooms (plural) to accommodate it’s Male and Female customers.

There is also a private range that is up closer to Ft. Hood, but it is limited only to IDPA and private members with a key to the padlock…. Can’t remember the name there but will try to get that for a later posting.

txpete

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    ft hood
    there is also the yankee gunsmith in CC.nice range there also.15.00 to shoot
    I am lucky as a friend of mine has a ranch NW of liberty hill and I have the key to the gate.we set up a small range into a stock tank berm and I get to hunt coyotes there.it is nice getting my lead back when we are done.
    pete

tomharkness

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2009
    Coyotes are good... nice to have a moving target. I have heard of some shooters using a large tire where they mark a spot on the tire and then roll it out on the range. Still, I think the local ranchers like the idea of shooting the coyotes.

tomharkness

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2009
    I was invited to hunt on an old ranchers land once and when he heard that I had let 5 or 6 coyotes go by so as not to lose the chance at a Buck, he told me that he would not invite me again... "Shot all the coyotes", he said.

Turns out they had killed one of his newborn calves. He would have been happier with me shooting the coyotes than a 12 point. Next time, the coyotes are dead meet!!

badeyeloosegrip

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    WOW. New to this forum so here is my nickle's worth.
    I have shot at the locations to include Eagle peak,REDS both north and south.
    Went to Astro this past weekend for the first time.
    LTC lady very nice and helpful. Pistol range met my requirements. Overall it was a good trip. no issues with the personnel.
    That being said, I, too will tell you right quick where to go should you decide to get on to my butt for your employees mistake. I break the rules, due to my screw up, I pay, regardless of the cost. You or your employees screw up, you pay. I have never had a person take such a drastic measure to cover up their mistake so I can not speak from that stance. I will go back in the future due to this first trip.
    I live in Cedar Park but choose to try this place out. Apparently, my lucky day.
    Eagle Peak is a lot closer but always open to alternatives. I hold a CHL and would be interested in joining/visiting/attending some type of after the the CHL class get together, however informal. I know I have discussed proper procedure with many as to when to pull and the issues of the Castle Doctrine.

tomharkness

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2009
    My "after CHL" idea is based more on the basics.

When I took my CHL class I was in the Texas State Military. We did our shooting out at Camp Swift and we did it military style. What that means is that each shooter stands at the firing line with their partner behind them with the magazine and ammo. When told to load, the partner hands the shooter a magazine with the required amount of ammo.

Here is what happened. I started out as a “Partner”. I loaded a Magazine and handed it to the shooter. When told to do so, he pointed and squeezed the trigger. Nothing happened. After everyone was finished shooting I raised my hand and got the attention of the range officer. He asked me, “What’s the problem?” I told him that my shooter failed to charge the firearm. After we showed him how to load the firearm, they allowed him to shoot. Once again, nothing happened. Then we had to show him how to work the safety. After he finished shooting, we switched places and I moved up to the firing line.

At that time I was told to load my firearm and my partner handed me my first magazine. After close examination, I stopped and raised my hand. Once again the range officer asked me, “What’s the Problem?” I showed him the magazine loaded with 5 rounds… backwards!

I cannot actually tell you if my partner actually passed the course, but I can tell you that his shot-group was not that bad.

My NRA Basic Pistol Course covers more basic information about the pistol. I teach the difference between all the different types of pistols. I teach about the different parts of all these firearms and the different parts of ammo that fit these firearms. I teach how you should pick and chose ammo for the different types of firearms and what makes different ammo work in different ways.

The CHL Program assumes that you already know these basics. Because of this, an individual can complete the CHL course without ever really having a decent understanding of his own firearm. That scares me!

The CHL Program also covers only the basics of the laws concerning the CHL. It does not cover important issues like “Peelinan Principles”, “August Volmer Philosophies”, and court issues that would occur after a shooting. If you have ever read “In Gravest Extreme” by Massad Ayoob, then you would understand what I am talking about.

http://pages.suddenlink.net/harkness/scfh/firearms.htm
    http://pages.suddenlink.net/harkness/cp3a/nra.htm

tomharkness

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2009
    When I am wrong, I admit it!

His range, his rules, his money to lose if he discards enough paying customers and the word gets around. Don't think I would go back even if he reinstated my membership.

When I am wrong, I admit it!

After hearing the stories about the Shooting Range called Astros, I decided to check it out. After all, no matter how flat you make a pancake, it will still have two sides.

I went out and talked with the owner there and did not find him to be as vexatious as the stories told… initially! After some time I actually grew somewhat fond of the people that work there. Astros has good facilities and some really nice people (although one of them hates that I listen to a certain radio talk show host.)

Then I offered to buy, design, and post a website for the owner in an attempt to build relations. In short, I built his business a big sign, put in on my own property (webhost) and then paid out of my own pocket to advertise it. In the beginning, the owner was very pleased with the idea. He was concerned that it would be an expense that he did not want to take on, but when I told him that I would pay for the entire project if only he would consider a gentleman’s agreement for some free range time, he approved and accepted the idea.

I designed and posted the website at astroshootingrange.com within a week. I was actually pretty happy with the original production, but the owner soon asked that I make some important changes. I did so and soon the site was up and running professionally.

Then I was told, “We don’t want you advertising for us. Just take it down.” No reason was given for this decision; although I was told that it was one of many times that the owner had reversed a decision in “Mid-Stream”. I was very disappointed because I had worked so hard on the website and now I owned a web address that I have no need for. I tried talking to the owner but got no response… “Just take it down.”

I had planned on using this range for teaching NRA, Security, First Aid/CPR, and CHL classes, but have sense changed my plans. I simply cannot afford to make arrangements to teach structured classes at a place where the owner is known for “Reversing his decisions in Mid-Stream” without any notice or warning. Can you imagine planning a training program where thousands of dollars have been spend in preparation only to be told at the last minute, “Nope, not today! I changed my mind”.

This is simply not good business practice.

Therefore, I want to apologize to all the individuals here that I did not take serious when you said that you had been treated unfairly by this particular shooting range. Still, I stand by my decision to “Learn for myself” before taking anyone’s side.

If you go to the website you will see that I have changed it and explained that the owner no longer wants his site advertised on the internet. I have also put links on that site that will take you to the websites of other ranges in the area that do not mind internet advertisements. NOTE*: I received a call from Astros telling me that I am behaving very unprofessionally… Interesting!
    :banghead:

txpete

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    ft hood
    sorry to hear this tom but again the guy is a "NUT" case imho.go to the first post on this thread to others that haven't read it.
    I shot at stans today and he said you dropped by and talked to him.it is nice to shoot all morning long for $12.00.I did get the 375 H&H dialed in ouch.pig hunt on the 29th
    pete

tomharkness

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2009
    sorry to hear this tom but again the guy is a "NUT" case imho.go to the first post on this thread to others that haven't read it.
    I shot at stans today and he said you dropped by and talked to him.it is nice to shoot all morning long for $12.00.I did get the 375 H&H dialed in ouch.pig hunt on the 29th
    pete

I have always liked going to Stan's and talking with the guys... I did not even shoot that day. I just like going out and talking with them. But I do like the facilities out at Astros.

I just cannot trust Astros to work with me when I need them. I guess it boils down to: Is it more important to have a nice restroom, or someone whose word you can trust.

Answer: I will just have to go with the one I can trust.... Looks like I will have to volunteer to dig the hole for the septic system at Stan's.

txpete

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    ft hood
    not too bad with my handloads.factory ammo is EXPENSIVE
    223 45 acp and 375 H&H
    375HHwin001.gif

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics