• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • txpete

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    ft hood
    just a bad day at the range today.I wanted to dial in my t/c contenders on the rifle range.one which is a 10" scoped 223 and explained to the range asst. that I would be firing a pistol at the 25 yard line to dial in the scope.he said no problem and it was ok.the rifle side range has a 25 yard zero line just for doing this.
    well the long story short is the range owner saw me shooting my "pistol" on the rifle side and pulled my membership card and then when I asked to talk to him about it he refused.the lady in the office was nice and said she was sorry but thats just the way he is.
    so just a heads up guys.y'all might want to pass on this range:(
    pete

oh yea the 10" bull t/c is a tack driverwith the 1.5x4 burris scope.
    2008_0325tc2230003.gif

LHB1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    Houston
    His range, his rules, his money to lose if he discards enough paying customers and the word gets around. Don't think I would go back even if he reinstated my membership.

txpete

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    ft hood
    it was pretty sad.my buddy that was with me is a cwo in the army at ft hood and he couldn't believe the the guy or how he acted.the range at ft hood is free I'll just shoot there.
    pete

ctxpta

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Lockhart, Texas
    CTXPTA.com

Sorry to hear that. Would have at least thought you would have gotten a warning or we need to move you to another area.
    On another note and I hope I am not going to far...since I am not supposed to advertise I will just say that there is a user friendly range in the Central Texas area that is outdoor, allows FMJ, holster draw, etc. as long as you can do so safe and hit the berm etc. Maybe someone else can help by giving you the name. (please remove if this is to much)
    Matt

Slim

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 16, 2008
    Sorry to hear that. Would have at least thought you would have gotten a warning or we need to move you to another area.
    On another note and I hope I am not going to far...since I am not supposed to advertise I will just say that there is a user friendly range in the Central Texas area that is outdoor, allows FMJ, holster draw, etc. as long as you can do so safe and hit the berm etc. Maybe someone else can help by giving you the name. (please remove if this is to much)
    Matt
    check this out
    http://ctxpta.com/

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Matt

LOL.

plexreticle

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    There is a range (Stan's) right across the street that 100% better than asstro.

I went there once and will NEVER go back. Both the woman and man that run it act like they are the only range within 100 miles. The range looked like a junk pile. They won't allow earplugs you have to wear earmuffs. They have several form to fill out including listing you next of kin. Then they keep your dossier in some cheap file cabinet.

They treat the customers like fools. I hope they go out of business soon.

rick458

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 29, 2008
    La Porte
    Why is it so many people in the Shooting Industry DRIVE AWAY customers?
    don't they realize the forces gathering around us Now?

tomharkness

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2009
    Not sure which range you are complaining about here.

I went there once and will NEVER go back. Both the woman and man that run it act like they are the only range within 100 miles. The range looked like a junk pile. They won't allow earplugs you have to wear earmuffs. They have several form to fill out including listing you next of kin. Then they keep your dossier in some cheap file cabinet.

The truth is that every shooting range around here has it's own unique quirks. Some will not allow 'double taps' that are unique to law enforcement training. Some will not allow you to have your pistol in a holster at any time (Loaded or unloaded).

Stan's range is not as attractive as Camp Perry's NRA range, but then again, there is a lot of 'leeway' in doing what you want to do... safely. Stan's range is somewhat less attractive than the others but beats going out on the lower 40 to 'plink' a few rounds. The cost there is $12/day but I rarely spend more than 1 hour of actual shooting time.

Astros is much more 'spread out' and offers a less restrictive environment. It is a little more 'modern' than Stan's. However, both range owners are under constant harassment by anti-gun proponents that want everyone to pay $10,000 a round to protect the unseen wildlife. I am sympathetic to both Astro and Stan's owners. I paid $13 and had to sign in with my time... don't rightly remember if it was a daily pass or an hourly pass. I still managed to do my monthly practice of 150 rounds in about 30 minutes.

Eagle Peak is nice and offers overhead cover for inclement weather. (so does Stan's, but Eagle Peak is more 'waterproof'). However, they are much farther away to get to. The cost at Eagle Peak is $12/day.

Reds Guns is a nice indoor range and offers a lot of specialties to women. You can enter their facility without a gun or ammo and shoot just about any type of firearm you want for as little as $7. The cost there is $12/hour and you have to purchase their ammo if you use their firearm (at 2X normal cost). Still, on specific days, a Woman could enter the facility and be custom fitted to 10 different firearms, pick the best type of firearm for her, get hands on instruction from staff, fire 50 rounds, and leave for lest than $100 (possible less than $50). I recommend them to every woman that is ‘curious’ about firearms.

Every one of these ranges has at least one person that appears (in my professional medical opinion) to have been exposed to a little too much lead(pb). However, not one of them did I ever find to be vexatious or irrational. They are pressured to be controlling by the political environments that abound. They never know if a person is there to test fire, practice, or dig up political fodder to use for an anti-gun campaign. I am friendly to them and they are friendly to me. I carry credentials from the NRA, Texas, and much more…. But more importantly, I have an in-depth understanding of Texas Laws governing Firearms, force, and ‘bad behavior’, not to mention some ‘military police’ credentials.

Before you complain about any of the ranges around here, ask yourself this: “if I ever have to draw my firearm in defense, will I be at a really nice pistol range with all the modern amenities where I am prohibited from training like I fight?” or…. “Will I be in some ‘out of the way’ place like a truck stop or back ally or something like Stan's gun range?”

I personally shoot at all of these ranges. I make the decision of which range to use based on whether I am practicing my marksmanship for distance, practicing my rapid response to an active shooter, or just doing my monthly familiarization. Oh, and then there is zeroing in my hunting rifle too, but that is and annual thing and not a monthly ritual.

Lastly, I agree with the posting that says, “His Range, His Rules”. The last thing any of these guys needs is a jerk with a gun that cannot follow rules. Pistols are on the pistol range and rifles are on the rifle range…. Try getting that mixed up on the ‘free range’ at Ft. Hood and see how quickly you get your range card punched.

tomharkness

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2009
    Got some friends that want to get together and talk, shoot, and socialize out at Astro's gun range this coming Friday. I will be out at Astro's from about 9am until the socializing comes to an end. My only problem is finding some good 9mm ammo. I have practically used up all of my stores of 9mm... and that scares me. But I will be there one why or the other and loaded with documentation of the new laws that govern the State of Texas... as well as some NRA training stuff.

See you there.

tomharkness

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2009
    Finally found some good 9mm ammo for target shooting. My wife is going to kill me when she finds out how much I spent on it. I'm not too worried about the shortage of ammo...when the shooting starts, there will be plenty of guns and ammo laying around (from the movie: "we were soldiers").

Went out to Astro Shooting Range and talked with the owner about making him a website. I do that on a simi-professional basis.... I used to do that for a living some time back. www.astroshootingrange.com is the new site, but I don't think it will be up and running until February 25th.

Lot's of soldiers from Ft. Hood go to Astro Shooting Range.... and the owner appears to be designing his ranges just for that audience. Mr. Williams has one range now and 6 more planned solely for specialized training. I like what he is doing with it all. As an Ex-Combat Lifesaver Instructor, I told him that I was interested in teaching that type of training there too. I still have the 2008 training manuals and instructor manuals for the CLS program. All I need is to scarf up some materials and set up the training. I wonder if I can get the military to approve it for the Official CLS program?

Arkane

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008

Stans is cool. The guys that run it are a hilarious buncha old duffers. I went to Astroworld once. Never again. Thats what sucks about this area. Ft. Hood= Register your guns on post with the government. Restrictions out the wazoo. And if you go on weekdays it's a pain because soldiers are there zeroing their weapons so you have to cease fire/clear after every 3 rounds they shoot.

tomharkness

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2009
    Astro's is growing by leaps and bounds while Stan's is basically sitting idle. You are right though, Stan's is a little more friendly and "easy going". I like the fact that I can be more relaxed on Stan's range (not safety though). And talking with the Boy's at Stan's is also a treat. They listen to you and are good for conversation.

I wish that the Stan's gun range group was at the Astro's facility. Then you would have a large facility with an easy going group of people because Astro's has much more space than Stan.

I have gone to both ranges and I like the Astro's Facilities much better. To start with, they have a regular latrine (restroom) with clean running water, while Stan only has a porta-pot. There is also something new at astro's... a little bitty lady (about 5ft tall) with an interesting past: She is a retired U.S. Army LTC (Airborne) that is sharp as a tack. If you like to talk military, you will love her.

The old tractor driver (Dan) with the ZZ-Top looking beard actually looks frightening until I learned that he has years of experience reloading both pistol and rifle ammo. When a Ft. Hood soldier showed up and started talking with him about some ammo he had reloaded, Dan was great talking with him. I even suggested that he start up a class teaching reloading there.

I have talked with the owner of Astro's about doing some "CHL Socializing" and he sounds open to the idea. The idea that I have is to have an "After CHL" group that gets together and talks about what comes next. Getting your CHL is one thing, but knowing what to do afterwards is another. I wanted to have a class on how to carry a concealed firearm, how to remove a conceal firearm in an emergency, and how to engage an active shooting..... and when not to do any of this.

He sounds like he is open to the idea. I have some great hopes for the class... my only problem is that some of you have already formed a bad opinion of the range and it's people. That will be an obstacle to overcome.

txpete

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    ft hood
    tomharkness I am glad your experance was a good one :confused: at the assstro range.I guess I am funny or just way too much of a texan but I will NOT put up with a A-hole more than once.I will not accept disrespect in any way or form.he was very rude to me and my friend mike.even the lady working said she was sorry about the owners actions but she worked there and needed the job.y'all spend your money as you want.I'll shoot at stans or on post and I hope that SOB goes under. for the record I am 54 retired u.s. army/dav and not some punk with a attitude.

my

pete

tomharkness

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2009
    Once Stung, Twice Shy

tomharkness I am glad your experance was a good one :confused: at the assstro range.I guess I am funny or just way too much of a texan but I will NOT put up with a A-hole more than once.I will not accept disrespect in any way or form.he was very rude to me and my friend mike.even the lady working said she was sorry about the owners actions but she worked there and needed the job.y'all spend your money as you want.I'll shoot at stans or on post and I hope that SOB goes under. for the record I am 54 retired u.s. army/dav and not some punk with a attitude.

my

pete

I understand: I too will boycott someone that was rude and disrespectful to me. I also understand that people have "bad days". More importantly, no matter how flat you make a pancake, it always has two sides. Therefore, when I hear of someone being a jerk... or negative reviews... I still make up my own mind by visiting and carefully watching for myself.

After I heard the terrible story of Astros, I went out there to shoot several times just to see for myself. The truth: Yep, there are a few individuals out there that are a bit "Stuffy". One of them has taken a permanent dislike to me because I like to listen to a certain radio talk show host. As for your story, I actually managed to hear his side of that story too....

I do seem to spend more time talking with Stan and his bunch when I go to that range. They are a nice group to hang around. Stans is a much more relaxed atmosphere because they don’t hang on too much ceremony. That is fine and I like it…. But

I still like the accommodations of the range at Astros. I like the running water in the bathroom, the clean toilets and sinks, and the open space of the individual ranges. I like Stan’s too, but there just is not the room I need if I am going to be teaching classes and having a lunch-in for the students.

As I said before: every range has its quirks…. And every range has its benefits. For me, until I see one of the side of your story for my own, I will be doing more of my shooting at Astros….. unless Stan puts in a good latrine system.... then.... we'll see.

For the Record: I am a 51 year old Retired Army Drill Sergeant, Ranger (Airborne), and ANCO Instructor... as well as, a Texas State Fire/Emergency Services Instructor..... I too fancy myself to be of sound mind.... (from time to time)

txpete

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    ft hood
    I understand: I too will boycott someone that was rude and disrespectful to me. I also understand that people have "bad days". More importantly, no matter how flat you make a pancake, it always has two sides. Therefore, when I hear of someone being a jerk... or negative reviews... I still make up my own mind by visiting and carefully watching for myself.

After I heard the terrible story of Astros, I went out there to shoot several times just to see for myself. The truth: Yep, there are a few individuals out there that are a bit "Stuffy". One of them has taken a permanent dislike to me because I like to listen to a certain radio talk show host. As for your story, I actually managed to hear his side of that story too....

I do seem to spend more time talking with Stan and his bunch when I go to that range. They are a nice group to hang around. Stans is a much more relaxed atmosphere because they don’t hang on too much ceremony. That is fine and I like it…. But

I still like the accommodations of the range at Astros. I like the running water in the bathroom, the clean toilets and sinks, and the open space of the individual ranges. I like Stan’s too, but there just is not the room I need if I am going to be teaching classes and having a lunch-in for the students.

As I said before: every range has its quirks…. And every range has its benefits. For me, until I see one of the side of your story for my own, I will be doing more of my shooting at Astros….. unless Stan puts in a good latrine system.... then.... we'll see.

For the Record: I am a 51 year old Retired Army Drill Sergeant, Ranger (Airborne), and ANCO Instructor... as well as, a Texas State Fire/Emergency Services Instructor..... I too fancy myself to be of sound mind.... (from time to time)

I am glad you heard his side of the story.this is good I just wonder how much of it was true.mike was a CWO3 and the saftey officer for 1st cav at the time.what I can tell you his disrepect has cost him some money as there "was" a bunch of us that used to shoot there but not anymore.today when every dollar counts it has cost him and I don't have a problem with that.

for the record..I did 21 years almost all of it in the air cav.I used to drop you snake eaters out in the bush and head home for a cold one.
    best regards
    pete

tomharkness

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2009
    I spent some time in the 2/9th Air Cav myself.... did the Jungle Operations Training Center thing with the Cav. My Platoon Sergeant was SFC Miller(CMH). Boy was he a trip! When he would wear that Medal of Honor to PX with us guys, no one would bother us.

As for the 1/75 Rangers (airborne – Snake eaters), in those days we were always dropped by the Air Force... which made it easier to jump as they were not "Perfectly good airplanes"…. And I liked eating those snakes…. But they would have tasted better cooked.

As for Astros.... I think we are beating a dead horse here. From what I see, I don't think the dollar loss is really affecting him. However, I encourage you to go ahead and shoot at Stan’s… he is a great guy and I like to shoot there too (from time to time). You can't go wrong going to Stan's

As for the CWO3!!!! Your not helping your case there. Don’t think I ever knew a Warrant that did not need a haircut or help getting his uniform straight (or help lighting his dubie)…. Other than CWO5 Donovan… but then he was my Sergeant in the Rangers before going to the Warrant program. Last I heard he retired and became the director of health on Kosovo or something.

Top Bottom