• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    I was at HEB doing some shopping. Get up to the registers when I see heavy set woman wearing a, "Wish I could get a Government bailout" T-shirt. She paid for her whole cart full of food with food stamps.

Mind blown.
    Venture Surplus ad

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Honestly, I see more abuse of the hand outs than I see anyone having them for the intended purpose. Just pisses me off. I don't mind telling people they are stealing money from everyone who is willing to work for a living or that a man who would rather use good stamps than work is not a man because he is NOT supporting his family.

Kennydale

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 3, 2013
    Richmond/Rosenberg, TX
    While listening to a syndicated talk show that originates from Houston (OK Michael Berry) he wa talking to a clerk from TN who works in the state's food stamp program. She related that she was interviewing a woman who was looking for an increase in her monthly allotment because : Purchased a NEW LEXUS and the payments made it difficult for her to feed her family ! Of course this made my brains explode, but i bet to that woman she must have felt entitled to it.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    A friend of mine, his wife died and he was genuinely struggling as a single parent raising two kids. He got on some kind of assistance for awhile then got back on his feet. He went into the benefits office to tell them he didnt need the help anymore and he basically had to plead with them to let him off of it.

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    A friend of mine, his wife died and he was genuinely struggling as a single parent raising two kids. He got on some kind of assistance for awhile then got back on his feet. He went into the benefits office to tell them he didnt need the help anymore and he basically had to plead with them to let him off of it.

I believe that too.. :mad:

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    how did "poor" people eat before food stamps?

My mother was born in 1933, around the time when public assistance began. She has told me that my grandmother received some sort of public assistance when my Mom was a child and that during that time, the people from the "government" (not sure exactly what department) would periodically show up to inspect their homes to verify that they didn't have a radio (there was no TV) or anything that was considered a luxury.
    I should also note that during this time, my grandmother was a single mother of five children (grandpa died in the early 30's) and she always had a job or two and it doesn't seem like she received benefits for too long. Certainly not into my mother's teen years as she doesn't remember living like that for very long.

dustycorgill

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Garland, Texas

Of course! The government WANTS people on the dole. They WANT more people to depend on them.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    how did "poor" people eat before food stamps?
    Benefit society - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That's just a jumping-off point if you'd like to do your own research. They were huge in the U.S. prior to WWI (well, really prior to 1900) and if you choose to study the subject, you'll find that participation among the population who didn't have enough money to see to their own immediate family members was pervasive, once upon a time.

Top Bottom