Hurley's Gold

At the range what distance do you practice most at?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NewToTX

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2015
    Houston, TX
    Now that I have my lic to carry I am starting to hit the range more (need to get more accurate before I put something on my hip). Do you guys/gals have a distance that you practice at the most? If so, what is that distance?

I usually do 5-7 yards.
    Lynx Defense

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    Now that I have my lic to carry I am starting to hit the range more (need to get more accurate before I put something on my hip). Do you guys/gals have a distance that you practice at the most? If so, what is that distance?

I usually do 5-7 yards.
    5-7 yards is the distance I try to be most proficient at. Most encounters I believe would be within that range, possibly closer, but if you are proficient at those ranges, closer wouldn't matter. I do at times move a bit further, but I practice out of holster mainly at those distances.

avvidclif

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    An FBI report published years ago showed most shootings occurred in 21' or less. Probably still holds true. If shooting at a silhouette type target an old adage works well. "Twice in the body, once in the head. Makes sure they are dead" It gets you used to shooting 3 times rapidly and have a target change also. Don't try to be "quick draw McGraw" (older ones will remember) just be smooth. Once out it should be 3 shots in well under a second. It takes practice, build up the speed slowly, be accurate and the speed will come.

One other trick, don't try for perfect sight alignment, no time for it. LOOK where you want to hit and put the front sight there.

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    7 and 10 yards is the norm for me. Since my range doesn't allow draw from holster, I start at high ready and point shoot at a B27 target. Either one shot or controlled pairs. Center of Mass only, I don't go for head shots as that seems a bit unrealistic if you were in a high pressure situation.

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    I stick with 5-7 yards as well but it also doesnt hurt to nail the fundamentals down at longer ranges. Just makes you a better shooter imo

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    I sometimes stretch it out to 15 yards, but the majority of my practice is in the 5-7 yard area. Also, you should practice on multiple targets and re-acquisition of the first target. Just in case.

NewToTX

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2015
    Houston, TX
    Makes sure they are dead" It gets you used to shooting 3 times rapidly and have a target change also. Don't try to be "quick draw McGraw" (older ones will remember) just be smooth. Once out it should be 3 shots in well under a second. It takes practice, build up the speed slowly, be accurate and the speed will come.

I am terrible at the quick 3. I have no problem to chalking that up to the fact I purchased my first handgun (G19 gen 4) in Summer of '16 (moved here from NY).

Just means I need more range time. Darn.

busykngt

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney
    Same here; typically 5 to 7 yards and practice ‘double tap’ defensive shooting. Shooting until the threat has stopped - with the muscle memory habit of beginning with two consecutive shots. (I do have one laser equipped pistol zero’d at more like 12 yards).

Kar98

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2016
    DFW
    I try to challenge myself by practicing at 10+ yards. At 15 yards I still get them all into a 6 inch circle, at 20 yards the group opens up to 12 inches. Consequently, my favorite distance of 7.5 yards (far out enough as not to be utterly ridiculous, but not so far that I actually have to work for it) presents no challenge at all to put them all into one ragged hole in the bullseye at any speed.

Walther PPK .380 at 8.5 yards:

GRzuX2c.jpg

OK, most of them are where they should be.

You can also have moving targets (not lateral, but increasing distance), with turns, teases and feints at the Eagle Gun Range in Farmer's Branch.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    I try to challenge myself by practicing at 10+ yards. At 15 yards I still get them all into a 6 inch circle, at 20 yards the group opens up to 12 inches. Consequently, my favorite distance of 7.5 yards (far out enough as not to be utterly ridiculous, but not so far that I actually have to work for it) presents no challenge at all to put them all into one ragged hole in the bullseye at any speed.

View attachment 131549

You can also have moving targets (not lateral, but increasing distance), with turns, teases and feints at the Eagle Gun Range in Farmer's Branch.
    On a person those would all count.

Kar98

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2016
    DFW
    And that's what I'm thinking. If I keep practicing to continue to be able to hit the door sized target 20 yards away, I should be able to hit "where it counts" should a SD situation ever arise IRL. Quick draw and dry fire I can practice for free at home.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    I have the advantage to practice shooting close range at home, for now within 25 yards. I practice most my targets within 10 yards and will often shoot the dueling tree at further distances.

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin

View attachment 131549

If you can shoot a ppk that well at 8.5 yards, I think you are way past the point of being sufficient. Very nice

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    15 yds or more .
    Most of my pistol practice is about 4 legged critters though.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    I shoot mostly from 15 yards. If I can hit the bullseye at 15 yards, anything shorter will be easy.

I practice almost entirely using the sights. If I build up muscle memory that puts the round on the point of aim using the sights, then I am likely to have a good chance of hitting the target in the event I have to rush my aim.

I practice drawing and shooting. Also shooting at two targets in sequence.

Just enough quick draw hip shooting from 3-5 yards to feel confident I can hit center torso in that scenario.

A little from 25 yards, but not much.

Top Bottom