ATF Agents Burst Into Wrong House

Discussion in 'News Articles' started by slim jim, Apr 11, 2008.

1. slim jim

slim jim Official News Guy

Mar 18, 2008
    :eek:

nbc6.net

ATF Agents Burst Into Wrong House

Mother, Toddler Inside Home When Officers Enter

POSTED: 9:15 am EDT April 10, 2008
    UPDATED: 10:19 pm EDT April 10, 2008

MIAMI --

Officers from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives barged into a South Florida home Wednesday only to discover they had the wrong address.
    The ATF agents were supposed to conduct a raid at a home in the 2600 block of Northwest 49th Terrace in northwest Miami-Dade County, but they were off by one block. They entered a house on Northwest 49th Street instead.
    Philomaine Silvain and her 3-year-old son were among the innocent people inside the home when the agents came in.
    Silvain pointed out damage to her front door.
    "The door's right here," Silvain said. "There's a hole right here. It's broken."
    Her back window was also broken from where federal agents fired canisters into the apartment at about 11:30 p.m. Wednesday.
    The agents left the tear gas cans in the house, and Silvain kicked them out and into the street before dumping them into the garbage.
    No one from the ATF would speak to NBC 6 on camera, but a representative said over the phone that it was an innocent mistake, agents apologized on the scene and ATF would repair any damages.
    Silvain's door has already been fixed. However, she said she plans on speaking with a lawyer.
    The officers did arrest the man they actually were looking for one street away.
    Copyright 2008 by NBC6.net. All rights reserved.
    This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

#playerparent {height: 208px !important;}[​IMG] http://www.nbc6.net/news/15843682/detail.html

2. Texas1911

Texas1911 TGT Addict

May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    That's crap. Major rights infringement, and I hope someone burns over this.

3. SIG_Fiend

SIG_Fiend Administrator TGT Supporter Admin

Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Man, this is getting pretty old hearing about SWAT teams, ATF, etc making entries into the wrong houses. I mean is it really that big of a problem to verify the right address? I'm just a civy and not LE, so there may be some aspect I'm missing, and usually I am very support of the LE community. I realize there are a lot of misconceptions the public has towards the LE profession, however it would seem to me that situations like this could be avoided rather easily.

4. mac79912

mac79912 Well-Known

Mar 4, 2008
    Someone needs to be suspended or even better terminated.:mad:

5. JKTex

JKTex Well-Known

Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    I've wondered why we haven't heard of any case where an agency/department makes a bad entry like this and the innocent homeowner, in an effort to protect their family/self, fires on the agents only knowing there's someone busting in. A bad guy can yell "Police" or whatever, so what do you do when it's late at night and it happens?

It's screwed up, that's for sure.

6. Bob Loblaw

Bob Loblaw Member

Feb 28, 2008
    Buda, Tx
    I have read that somewhere, I'll try to thumb around and find it. I remember it was local cops, and no one was killed, luckily.

7. Bob Loblaw

Bob Loblaw Member

Feb 28, 2008
    Buda, Tx
    n/m I'm waayy off. I'm thinking of Ryan Frederick. My memory sucks.

8. brainiac

brainiac Member

Mar 7, 2008
    Parker County
    And these are the guys (the federal government) that a bunch of people want to be in charge of their health care... :rolleyes: