ATF doing what they do best once again.

Southpaw

Plague enthusiast
TGT Supporter
Mar 30, 2009
Guadalupe Co.
Even if they register purchases, so long as we have private sales they have no registry.
Agreed, all that a 4473 tells any one is that at some point you bought a gun or two. Unless they are going to use it to retroactively tax people on those purchases or are going to physically come into my home with the intent to verify I have them, which is a whole other event in itself, my guns bought on 4473's might as well not exist.

rushthezeppelin

TGT Addict
Dec 28, 2012
Cedar Park
Its not so much about gun registration, imo. This is just another data set to add to NSA and other government data. This is about strengthening the dossiers they have on us. This is about finding out who tends to buy multiple weapons and thus who are bigger potential threats.

Southpaw

Plague enthusiast
TGT Supporter
Mar 30, 2009
Guadalupe Co.
I think they will see everyone who is not in some form of federal capacity in the same light when it's convenient for "law and order", regardless of past financial transactions.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
May 28, 2008
Ft Worth, TX
Its not so much about gun registration, imo. This is just another data set to add to NSA and other government data. This is about strengthening the dossiers they have on us. This is about finding out who tends to buy multiple weapons and thus who are bigger potential threats.
I don't think it is happening at all. ;)

rushthezeppelin

TGT Addict
Dec 28, 2012
Cedar Park
TXI are you saying you trust the agency that ran fast and furious over mom and pop FFLs? Not saying I implicitly trust the people in the THR thread but I'm more inclined to believe them.

ShootingTheBull

Jun 18, 2013
Agreed, all that a 4473 tells any one is that at some point you bought a gun or two.
Well, yes, but a bit more than that. It tells them specifically and exactly which guns and what their serial numbers are. It really is everything necessary to make a paper registry.

The NICS check doesn't have that information -- in that, they know that you're considering buying, but they don't know specifically what. But on the 4473, they do know exactly what you're buying.

If "universal background checks" become a reality, then yes, they will have an absolute registry -- they will know exactly who owns exactly what.

Which is why I think, for privacy's sake, we should be lobbying to have the gun make/model and serial number info removed from the 4473. If the purpose of the 4473 is to ensure selling to legally permissible buyers, that purpose can be served without specifying the exact make, model, type, and/or serial number...

Top Bottom