• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jimmy-buffett

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    I don't know how many of you folks have gone through the NFA process, I bought a .22 suppressor earlier this year, it was my first one.

The main hurdle to the process is getting somebody to sign your paperwork. Yeah you can do the corporate/trust route, or you can be a dealer, but I wanted to see if I could get somebody to sign it first before going that route.

An e-mail to the Chief of Police of the suburban north Dallas city I live in got me a quick "No" response, and probably got me put on a list too :).

But the Sheriff of Denton County was much more understanding. With a background check and about a month's waiting time, Sheriff Benny Parkey signed my Form 4 and then called me when it was ready.

I got the impression from many people that actually finding a "public servant" who was willing to participate in this process was rare, especially if you live in a more urban area. I guess for those guys to sign your form, you have to be their cousin or something.

So just an FYI, Sheriff Parkey in Denton signs Form 4's for regular people who can pass a background check.
    Target Sports

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    Wow, and after some of the things he did when he first took that office......

Guess he's trying to redeem himself. Anyone that boats on Lewisville probably knows one of the 1st crappy things he did.

jimmy-buffett

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    I've only been on the lake for a couple of years so I wasn't familiar with what you were referencing, so I hit google and read up a little.

The only impression I ever got from him was positive, he responded personally to my e-mail about signing my Form 4, and his office followed up when they were done with it.

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    I've only been on the lake for a couple of years so I wasn't familiar with what you were referencing, so I hit google and read up a little.

The only impression I ever got from him was positive, he responded personally to my e-mail about signing my Form 4, and his office followed up when they were done with it.

Ya, firing the guy that used to patrol Lewisville sucked. It needs good patrol and he was a good guy. I first met him after a Power Squadron class where he let us check out the boat. Even showed me the FLIR on some chicks walking down the dock at Charlies. He figured it was our tax dollars that paid for it, we might as well get to see how it worked.

Top Bottom