Guadalupe Co.
    ATF-50-cal-upper-1.jpg

TAZ

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    Round Rock
    Interesting. Not sure I like the idea of the classifying upper assemblies as firearms. Technically it’s a complete firearm that can fire without really needing the serialized lower, so maybe it makes some sense.

EZ-E

King Turd of Shit Mountain
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2017
    Middle of no where
    Since the paper states "FTIB recieved & evaluated 50BMG assembly determination for import ability"
    Does it mean those standards only apply if your trying to ship out of the country?

If your in the US shipping to the US your good to go?

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    Since the paper states "FTIB recieved & evaluated 50BMG assembly determination for import ability"
    Does it mean those standards only apply if your trying to ship out of the country?

If your in the US shipping to the US your good to go?

For now the notice seems to have shut all production and shipping down.

http://www.safetyharborfirearms.com/products/shtf-uppers/product/43-shtf-50-mag-fed-upper-conversion

Due to BATFE related complications we are not taking orders at this time. Standing orders have not been forgotten. As soon as the BATFE complications are straightened out order fullilment will resume.

Though this doesn't seem to be a new thing..This post is from 2011 from Bohica Arms who made the same product, Safety Harbor is also mentioned here as well.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/archive/index.php/t-478131.html

Hi Guys,

This is Chris Rosequist, President of BOHICA Arms Inc. - Hopefully ARFCOM site staff won't ban me.....Again

I know some of you don't care for us.... that's mutual, as I don't care for you either :-)

Some people have speculated that there was a design issue with our uppers, this is not the case, the uppers are as safe as any firearm of this caliber can possibly be. We also only have knowlege of the one OOB in cali that everyone knows of that resulted in injury. That was found to be Ammo related.

Here is what is actually going on.

I have lurked here for the last 3 or 4 months, as I have not been able to say anything regarding our company until official papers were received. As of Today it's official - ATF has killed the upper industry.

We have been notified by ATF Industry operations that The BOHICA MKIV and the Saftey Harbor Upper in particular (With more more to come as I was told) Have been determined to be GCA firearms by the tech branch. We are still waiting on the actual tech branch finding, but have been issued administrative notice that we are no longer allowed to mfg uppers. We have been in a holding pattern for the last 4 months due to notification of a pending finding. I would ASSUME that this will aslo extend to the Ferret, ALS, Tactilite and the Blackthorne as well ( This is MY speculation)

This carries dire consequences for the entire AR15 community as this is no doubt a start of more controls. I was also told that this will extend to the Belt Fed Razorback and LM7 from Lakeside as well as the Ares Shrike.

Obviously this can also be construed to possibly reach to the entire AR upper world, including caliber conversions.

We are in the process of contacting the NRA-ILA for assistance dealing with this matter.

Please refrain from humping my leg or stabbing me in the back for this post. I will provide more info as it becomes available.

Sincerely,

Chris Rosequist
    BOHICA Arms Inc.

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    I hate the ATF now I need to get me a 50 cal bolt upper before I cant. I have no need for one I don't even want one but now I am looking for one.

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    Am I missing something here? How does this change anything other than requiring a serial number on the upper and having to go through an FFL if you order one on line?

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    Am I missing something here? How does this change anything other than requiring a serial number on the upper and having to go through an FFL if you order one on line?
    That's how I see it. Just like buying any other bolt action receiver.

I suppose the difference is that these uppers do not contain anything more then what a typical AR upper would. Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't a typical and completed bolt action receiver contain the trigger, hammer, bolt and other parts needed to fire the gun?

orbitup

Sticker Cop
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    Waxyscratchy
    I suppose the difference is that these uppers do not contain anything more then what a typical AR upper would. Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't a typical and completed bolt action receiver contain the trigger, hammer, bolt and other parts needed to fire the gun?

They also don't contain any less than a bolt action receiver. It's a glass half empty kind of thing.

Top Bottom