ARJ Defense ad

ATF NFA - Wait Time Is Now 15-Months (As of 2013-10-25)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JakFrost

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2013
    Perry has said, and I am sure any republican replacement would continue, that he will order a state judge to start signing all NFA forms for people who's local CLEO won't for a small fee (like $30 is the number being kicked around).....

Here's some more "Hope" for you in this case as Political Promises for re-election. I'll wouldn't hold my breath on this one either.

At best if it true that would mean my free self-written revocable living trust would now cost me an additional 6 x $30 = $180 to get CLEO signatures for every single time I do a Form 1 or Form 4 on top of the $200 tax stamp already. Woohoo! Only $380 additional for those major-caliber $1,000-$2,000 suppressors that are the only thing left for me to consider purchasing in the future.

I feel lucking being able to purchase my SBR and 4 suppressors at only $1,000 (5 x $200) instead of $1,900 (5 x ( $200 + ( 6 x $30 ) ) ) under this great new $30 for CLEO plan.

Sounds like another money-making solution from our government but this time the states gets a cut of the profit from a federal restriction. State right's sovereignty anyone? Haven't seen that around since the '60s.
    Lynx Defense

Last edited:

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I feel lucking being able to purchase my SBR and 4 suppressors at only $1,000 (5 x $200) instead of $1,900 (5 x $200 + 6 x $30) under this great new $30 for CLEO plan.

Ummm, might wanna put a calculator on that. 30X6<900

Why would you get 6 signatures for 5 items?

Last edited:

biglucky

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Dripping Springs, TX
    Here's some more "Hope" for you in this case as Political Promises for re-election. I'll wouldn't hold my breath on this one either.

At best if it true that would mean my free self-written revocable living trust would now cost me an additional 6 x $30 = $180 to get CLEO signatures for every single time I do a Form 1 or Form 4 on top of the $200 tax stamp already. Woohoo! Only $380 additional for those major-caliber $1,000-$2,000 suppressors that are the only thing left for me to consider purchasing in the future.

I feel lucking being able to purchase my SBR and 4 suppressors at only $1,000 (5 x $200) instead of $1,900 (5 x $200 + 6 x $30) under this great new $30 for CLEO plan.

Sounds like another money-making solution from our government but this time the states gets a cut of the profit from a federal restriction. State right's sovereignty anyone? Haven't seen that around since the '60s.

A promise for re-election from a guy who isn't running for re-election??

The Lox

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    Farmers Branch
    I have also read that E-Filed forms go into Pending 1 status right away because there is no more wait associated with manual data-entry by the 6-clerks that they have and because of this the outcome is that these E-Filed forms will end up being inserted into the queue before the mailed-in paperwork that has been Received but has not been data-entered into the computer system. I've heard and read that E-Filed forms save 6-8 weeks of waiting.

However, without getting off topic here. My forms were sent in January 2013 way before the E-File system was available so they went Pending 1 at regular speed and my correction request letter for the LMT's model name "Defender 2000" instead of the full model name "CQB MRP Defender 2000 Piston 16" was sent out on June, 2013 and sent back to them corrected within 5-days or receipt and accepted into their system in June 2013 when I called to confirm that they got the correction.

Even with the added delay requiring the slight correction, I should have received the forms by end of this month, October 2013, or with the added delay November-December 2013. That should have been according to the old wait time. I'm still hoping that the queue will re-start where it left off before the shutdown at least for forms that were in Pending 2 status like mine should have been since it has been examined due to the correction request.

The 15-month delay might be for new requests though and that means that my 4th suppressor purchase this month 2013-10 and E-Filed will be approved sometime in 2015-03 if nothing else changes. I decided to buy a 7.62 (.30 caliber) suppressor even though I don't have anything to mount it on due to the upcoming ATF CLEO requirements for Trusts that would guarantee that I won't be able to ever buy one since I live in a county where the Sheriff refuses to sign forms by delaying the signature and requiring hoops to jump through that nobody is willing to do.

That is a bummer. I got an e-mail the next day asking for clarification on my model name. I had sent in a picture with the E-form and that cleared things up immediately. I think once we get out of the paper form world this whole process will go a lot quicker. I have 5 stamps outstanding, 3 cans an SBS and an SBR, all submitted early September...

JakFrost

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2013
    Ummm, might wanna put a calculator on that. 30X6<900
    Why would you get 6 signatures for 5 items?

As I read the new requirements, CLEO signature will be required for each "responsible person" of a trust to sign off on each of their photographs and finger-print cards. My trust has 6 responsible-persons in it.

Hence ( 6-signature x $30 ) x 5-suppressors + ( 5-suppressors x $200-tax stamp ) = $1,900

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    As I read the new requirements, CLEO signature will be required for each "responsible person" of a trust to sign off on each of their photographs and finger-print cards. My trust has 6 responsible-persons in it.

Hence ( 6-signature x $30 ) x 5-suppressors + ( 5-suppressors x $200-tax stamp ) = $1,900

I gotcha. Either way, I agree it's BS to charge an administrative fee for a signature to allow you to exercise a right. But then again, the entire NFA debacle is an infringement.

Hater

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2013
    When will the new rule take affect if it is upheld ?

The comment period ends 9 December. Then, I believe there are at least 30 days for ATF to review comments and decide on implementation. Obama wants to ram it through as quickly as possible so he can tout a "common sense" gun control victory. My guess would be sometime in late January or early February. The big question is when is the cut-off for grandfathering applications already in the system, if any.

yellojeep

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2013
    I got all excited when I checked the mail today and an ATFE letter was in the mix.......but it was a correction letter. They did not like the way I filled out my SBR application. I did it just like the previous one but they kicked this one back for listing multiple calibers. What is the acceptable way to list multiple calibers and brl lengths now ? Currently looking for MG to get in the mix before the rules change.
    The comment period ends 9 December. Then, I believe there are at least 30 days for ATF to review comments and decide on implementation. Obama wants to ram it through as quickly as possible so he can tout a "common sense" gun control victory. My guess would be sometime in late January or early February. The big question is when is the cut-off for grandfathering applications already in the system, if any.

locke_n_load

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Houston, TX
    I got all excited when I checked the mail today and an ATFE letter was in the mix.......but it was a correction letter. They did not like the way I filled out my SBR application. I did it just like the previous one but they kicked this one back for listing multiple calibers. What is the acceptable way to list multiple calibers and brl lengths now ? Currently looking for MG to get in the mix before the rules change.

For now, just list your primary caliber and barrel length. Once you get the stamp, send them a letter with all other combinations you may use. Done.

yellojeep

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2013
    For now, just list your primary caliber and barrel length. Once you get the stamp, send them a letter with all other combinations you may use. Done.
    Thanks, I called the ATFE and they told me the same thing, everything else was acceptable and as soon as they get the correction, it will be approved.:shades: Next question is what are some good forums to find MGs for sale? I need to get my transfer started by the end of the month.

Mungle

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    I called on Wednesday to check on my progress & was given the following lead times: Form 1 = 6mo, Form 3 = 3mo, Form 4 = 9mo

grumper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    Austin
    Thanks, I called the ATFE and they told me the same thing, everything else was acceptable and as soon as they get the correction, it will be approved.:shades: Next question is what are some good forums to find MGs for sale? I need to get my transfer started by the end of the month.

Subguns.com

Sturmgewehr Assault Rifle and NFA Forums - 24/7 Online Gunshow and Firearm Community

Machine Guns for Sale AR15 MK2 Sten Guns Uzi's Thompson Semi Auto Antique Guns for Sale

DealerNFA » Ruben Mendiola

Beware on the first two. The NFA ad boards used to be a great place where trustworthy people put up MG ads but the scammers have descended on them like a plague of locusts.

The douchebags have gotten so brazen as to forge ATF form 4s and photoshop FFLs to trick you into sending money.

There's a couple pics of a counterfeit form 4 one buyer recently received from a scam seller. It was for an alleged Colt 1921 Thompson SMG but the form was a photoshopped M16 form. The caliber 5.56mm instead of .45 ACP, barrel length 20" instead of the correct 10", and serial number in the 9000000 range was what gave it away as a fake. Good thing criminals are dumb and lazy right?

But a less knowledgeable buyer might have sent that motherfucker $22000 and never heard from them again.

Back in 2006 I bought an Uzi SMG from a seller on Subguns, sight unseen only after talking to the seller on the phone. But there's no way in hell I would do it now. Buy MGs from either a big name dealer (with a big name price) or from a local dealer face to face. Way less risk this way.

If you're going the trust/LLC/corp route at this point in time your only real option to get a MG form in before the rule change is to buy an in-stock gun from a dealer in Texas. The TX state sales tax sucks but dealer-dealer transfers are taking 2 months at a minimum. If it isn't in stock you can't beat the deadline. If you can get a CLEO sign off then there's no rush and you can shop around.

Last edited:

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    I got an email from the BATFE saying that they are having computer problems. Anyone using e-file should avoid mid-day, since that is the time they take down the system for maintenance.

hrt4me

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    DFW
    I got spoiled when my last individual tax-paid Form 4 transfer came back approved in 2 days... it took longer to mail the paperwork back and forth in early 2010...

1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle
    According to Dave the ATF told him the first couple weeks worth of eforms were processed fast(1s, 3s and 4s) to get a feel for the system then they told him to not expect any more that quick. So its my understanding the eforms filed from the beginning of August through beginning of September may come back quick but after that it will be closer to the "normal" duration, whatever that is these days. I hope that is not the case and the eforms are coming through faster still as Ive got a bunch of them in the pipeline at the moment. My first efiled forms were at the beginning of October so itll be a couple more months before I get to see if I hit the NFA jackpot :(

1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle
    Yeah, during that time he was getting efiled form 3s back the SAME day sometimes. I asked him specifically about the cans I bought late October and the last batch in early November to which he replied they will probably be back 6 weeks before the paper form 4 I had to do on one of the cans at the same time. At this rate its looking like if I order a huntertown arms integral Ill be waiting for a year and a half for it get back by the time its made, form 3'd then 4'd. That's insane. If a dealer doesn't have your can in stock you literally could have an outdated can before you even get it in your hands.

Top Bottom