ATF proposed rule 2021R-05, Definition of “Frame or Receiver” and Identification of Firearms.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mnpshooter

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2020
    Centex

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    I think what they are going for here is to require the upper and lower of an AR to both be serial numbered. No more ordering an upper on line and having it delivered to your house because the upper will be considered a firearm just like the lower. At the same time, it renders an 80% lower much less desirable, virtually defeats the whole purpose of it.

I don't know what they plan to do about the millions of non serialized AR uppers that already in the hands of citizens.

Or maybe this explains it: Amend the definition of “gunsmith” to clarify the meaning of that term and to explain that gunsmiths may be licensed solely to mark firearms for unlicensed persons.

Last edited:

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    Time to buy upper receivers? Sounds like it

While that is not how I read it at first, upon rereading I can see how one may think that. The proposed definition is:

Frame or receiver.
    A part of a firearm that, when the complete weapon is assembled, is visible from the exterior and provides housing or a structure designed to hold or integrate one or more fire control components, even if pins or other attachments are required to connect those components to the housing or structure..<snip>.....For purposes of this definition, the term “fire control component” means a component necessary for the firearm to initiate, complete, or continue the firing sequence, including any of the following: hammer, bolt, bolt carrier, breechblock, cylinder, trigger mechanism, firing pin, striker, or slide rails.

However, when reading what I snipped Any such part identified with a serial number shall be presumed, absent an official determination by the Director or other reliable evidence to the contrary, to be a frame or receiver. As well as reviewing the drawings of some current and past gun configurations that follow that on page 85 through 87, AR uppers don't look to be included on the redefinition.

Top Bottom