• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • oldguy

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Somewhat like hunting/shooting difficult in our state to find a place to use ATV's unless you own a large ranch..

kingofwylietx

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.

whit128

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2009
    Central Texas, Williamson County
    Love it, I ride as well as my wife and three daughters. Have several thousand acres of private property in Kimble county and since we live in Thrall we make it to Cherokee Cycle Park occasionally.

660 Grizzly- mine
    KFX 700- wife
    Suzuki Ozark 250- 17 yoa daughter
    Polaris Sawtooth- 14 yoa daughter
    Polaris Sportsman 90- 8 yoa daughter

kerryp

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Bastrop
    Not near as much as I like. I have a Polaris 700

We just had our yearly trip to Mena Arkansas in May. If you have never been to Wolf Pen Gap up there, I encourage you to go, its nice place and a lot of fun.

There are a couple places to go here in Texas if you are not into mud. The problem, is its too dang hot....here is one place that is fun, plus they have a shooting range, camping, Jeeping, etc... pretty cool.

[url]http://www.hiddenfallsadventurepark.com/[/URL]

I would encorage you to look into Texas Motorized Trails Coalition too, they have two places, one is the Barnwell Mountain Recreation Area which has some good trails, and the other is Escondido which is a new place that they are trying to get opened and are looking for volunteers for cutting the new trails in..here is a link to TMTC

[url]http://www.texasmotorizedtrails.com/[/URL]

kingofwylietx

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.
    I went out to Brushy Creek yesterday to break in a new quad. It was okay, but I'm looking forward to a longer ride. We usually get a group together & make a weekend of it. We ride a lot at night, which is a ton of fun.

There was a group going out today to ride the Sulfur River, but we had told our daughter that we would take her to the zoo today. We'll heading out to see the animals soon.

thorkyl

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Brazoria County
    I try to ride every day.

Got to ride the fences and shoot a few rounds every day ya know
    I like to ride the 25,000 acres at the end of the street.
    Owners don't mind as long as we don't tear the trails up

2000 Honda Foreman 400cc
    Odometer stopped working at 16,450 miles 3 years ago
    Rolled at least 3 times
    had the right front wheel torn off by a hog I made mad by shooting it with a 308
    head on collision with another 4-wheeler
    broadsided a cow - that one hurt

thorkyl

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Brazoria County
    Yep, and will probably retire it later this year. Even though it has never seen any oil other than Royal Purple its starting to get a tick in the engine. According to Honda 16,000 miles is like 160,000 on a car. So I recon I have the equivalent of about 200,000 on it by now.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    I have a 2wd 300 that I use mostly during hunting season. It's small enough to fit in the back of my Dakota PU but goes about 50mph in high gear. I would probably take it out more often if I had some property. For now it gets it's rest until deer season or a summer Hog hunt.

carneyman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2008
    Tyler
    Just got back from the mountains. Took one of our Yamaha Brute Force 650's up to Red River. Not much better riding than on a mountain.

I used to have a Polaris Scrambler 400. Man that thing would haul...

kingofwylietx

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.
    I've been going to Colorado every year to camp/atv for quite a while now. It's a great place, lots of very large riding areas. We have some friends that moved up there, so we just haul our stuff & hook up with them.

A_FIVE-O

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 6, 2009
    Houston-Laredo
    I have been deciding on weather to buy a side by side ATV/UUV. Maybe a Kawasaki Teryx or Polaris RZR. Its more fun to take friends out. I think it would be easier to spotlight hunt at night.

Thumper_6119

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Amarillo, Texas
    Mrs. Thumper and I just bought a pair of 2009 Honda FourTrax Rancher AT's on Saturday. Gear Driven Automatic Transmission (which can be switched to manual electric shift with the flip of a switch), front and rear independent suspension, 4x4, fuel injection, and liquid cooled. Awesome machines.

A couple of pics:
    IMG_0122.jpg

The rear independent suspension
    IMG_0123.jpg

IMG_0121.jpg

IMG_0130.jpg

We ride mainly at the Canadian River between Amarillo and Dumas (pics above from Canadian River in an area known as "The Meadows"). I hear there's some ATV trails at Lake McKenzie now. Looking forward to taking them out in the snow in the winter.

SC-Texas

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Honda Ranger 250. You can see the pedestal mount for the 1919a4 on the front rack.

It will be welded to a plate with gussets and used for hunting hogs.

5656_112604623698_595683698_2092625_7106237_n.jpg

kingofwylietx

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.
    I have been deciding on weather to buy a side by side ATV/UUV. Maybe a Kawasaki Teryx or Polaris RZR. Its more fun to take friends out. I think it would be easier to spotlight hunt at night.

Something to consider is that the RZR is much sportier and can ride on all the atv trails. Great performer.

The Teryx is a standard width UTV, so there are trails that will have spots that will be a problem for you. Going between 2 trees isn't a problem when you fit.....sometimes you won't fit if you are in a normal side-by-side.

The Yamaha Rhino is very popular too. The Rhino, RZR, and Prowler 1000 would be my final decisions.

kingofwylietx

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.
    Mrs. Thumper and I just bought a pair of 2009 Honda FourTrax Rancher AT's on Saturday. Gear Driven Automatic Transmission (which can be switched to manual electric shift with the flip of a switch), front and rear independent suspension, 4x4, fuel injection, and liquid cooled. Awesome machines.

We ride mainly at the Canadian River between Amarillo and Dumas (pics above from Canadian River in an area known as "The Meadows"). I hear there's some ATV trails at Lake McKenzie now. Looking forward to taking them out in the snow in the winter.

The Honda's are great machines. Since they have a more 'automobile-ish' transmission, you don't have to worry about water & mud getting in and messing them up.

On the last trip back from Colorado, my trailer axle gave up the ghost north of Dumas. We limped down to Super Walmart [well after midnight] in Dumas & applied a bandaid.....which got us to Amarillo. I had to buy a new axle there to get the rest of the way home.

Top Bottom