• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Steel surplus mags for SHTF and anything else, plastic TAPCO or similar mags for the range. They are lighter, but if you do "combat mag changes" they are much more likely to explode when they hit the ground...

longshanks94

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2015
    Steel surplus mags for SHTF and anything else, plastic TAPCO or similar mags for the range. They are lighter, but if you do "combat mag changes" they are much more likely to explode when they hit the ground...

By explode, you mean fall apart, correct? Have you ever seen a video the plastic mags being run over by vehicles and functioning afterwards?

trentward86

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 10, 2015
    Austin, TX
    I have 2 Bulgarian, 4 Euro, and 1 Chinese along with 1k of ammo with 200 green box norinco and 100 yellow box norinco. Once I get my post count up I am going to throw a classifieds listing with this and more.

I keep a drum, 4 bakelites, and 2 tapco's topped off and ready for a range trip or the SHTF scenario which is as far back in my mind as a thought can be. I am a bit OCD and when I start to load one a few end up loaded at the end. It does make going to the range a bit easier in terms of reloading the first round of clips to be used. More range time, less loading time.

Last edited:

trentward86

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 10, 2015
    Austin, TX
    I kept 8 .45 mags loaded when I had owned my two 1911's. If I ever have a guest with me shooting, having preloaded mags allows me to have my guest kindly reload them for me since I put all the initial effort. ;)

I once knew a guy who had a 50 cal can full of loaded 1911 mags. He didn't like to reload either...

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    By explode, you mean fall apart, correct? Have you ever seen a video the plastic mags being run over by vehicles and functioning afterwards?

Yes, and I've also witnessed firsthand plastic AK mags breaking when dropped on a hard surface; but I've yet to see a steel one come apart when the same happens to it.

Not saying plastic AK mags are not durable, I just wouldn't trust my life to them!

By the way, this Bulgarian polymer (not mine) exploded while loaded in someone's safe...

AKMag-002-1024x768.jpg

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...-polymer-ak-magazines-from-sitting-in-a-safe/

trentward86

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 10, 2015
    Austin, TX
    Yes, and I've also witnessed firsthand plastic AK mags breaking when dropped on a hard surface; but I've yet to see a steel one come apart when the same happens to it.

Not saying plastic AK mags are not durable, I just wouldn't trust my life to them!

By the way, this Bulgarian polymer (not mine) exploded while loaded in someone's safe...

AKMag-002-1024x768.jpg

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...-polymer-ak-magazines-from-sitting-in-a-safe/

That would not be a scene anyone would want to open the safe too, rounds everywhere.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    That would not be a scene anyone would want to open the safe too, rounds everywhere.

Had a buddy who bought cheap, generic 1911 mags. Was at the range with him one day and he asked if I wanted to shoot his pistol. When I went to tap the bottom of the mag to make sure it was properly inserted, the floorplate busted loose sending rounds all over the ground. I was a bit embarrassed, but it was his cheap magazine!

trentward86

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 10, 2015
    Austin, TX
    Had a buddy who bought cheap, generic 1911 mags. Was at the range with him one day and he asked if I wanted to shoot his pistol. When I went to tap the bottom of the mag to make sure it was properly inserted, the floorplate busted loose sending rounds all over the ground. I was a bit embarrassed, but it was his cheap magazine!

That is why I only buy quality mags =) I have had other embarrassing issues at the range that have made me feel like a newbie.

duckknot

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 26, 2013
    Leander, TX
    I have 2 Bulgarian, 4 Euro, and 1 Chinese along with 1k of ammo with 200 green box norinco and 100 yellow box norinco. Once I get my post count up I am going to throw a classifieds listing with this and more.

I keep a drum, 4 bakelites, and 2 tapco's topped off and ready for a range trip or the SHTF scenario which is as far back in my mind as a thought can be. I am a bit OCD and when I start to load one a few end up loaded at the end. It does make going to the range a bit easier in terms of reloading the first round of clips to be used. More range time, less loading time.

How much?

Post a link when it's up please!

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ltlavender
    Top Bottom