Hurley's Gold

Austin: Authorities issues warnings after car jackings.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Saltyag2010

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    Flour Bluff, America
    That sucks. You're not in a very good position when you are outnumbered and in a cage.
    I hope these car jackers get their doors kicked and and they get arrested infront of their families. Worst I hope is they do this to the wrong guy and get their faces blasted off.
    I'm for the harshest penalties against violent crimes involving firearms. Death penalty for armed robbery sounds good to me.

AcidFlashGordon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    "The victim said two men brandishing a handgun tapped on the window and told the student to get out of the car," said APD Spokesperson Senior Patrol Officer Veneza Bremner.

That part pretty well sucks. They already have a handgun drawn so even if you DO have a CHL, they have the drop on you. The only chance you'd have to be able to draw your own weapon would be while they're busy getting into your car ... assuming they're not continuously pointing their gun at you.

oldguy

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Honestly the best car for Austin is a sleeper, good quality engine, trans, rough body while retaining a weekend car in the garage, either that or a tank.

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    I see a lot of people get into their cars and immediately start playing with their phones, head down, not paying attention. Not saying this was the case in this particular incident. But it one of those things people do that can make them a target as well.

Besides parking accordingly when possible and as well as staying alert of everything and everyone around you before getting into you car or truck, I think it's important that when you get into your vehicle to instantly lock your doors and have it started and in gear, foot on the brake of course, before doing anything else. It's not full proof, but at least it might give you a jump on anyone approaching your vehicle in some situations.

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    That part pretty well sucks. They already have a handgun drawn so even if you DO have a CHL, they have the drop on you. The only chance you'd have to be able to draw your own weapon would be while they're busy getting into your car ... assuming they're not continuously pointing their gun at you.
    ^^^* this

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I see a lot of people get into their cars and immediately start playing with their phones, head down, not paying attention. Not saying this was the case in this particular incident. But it one of those things people do that can make them a target as well.

Besides parking accordingly when possible and as well as staying alert of everything and everyone around you before getting into you car or truck, I think it's important that when you get into your vehicle to instantly lock your doors and have it started and in gear, foot on the brake of course, before doing anything else. It's not full proof, but at least it might give you a jump on anyone approaching your vehicle in some situations.

Situational awareness is important of course. As far as getting car jacked...heck with pulling your gun on them. Hit them with the door, drive away.

franzas

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 3, 2014
    Richmond, VA
    Always be aware of your surroundings. If I see something that looks sketchy, my hand goes to my hip.

If they've already drawn on you, you could distract them by giving them some cash or your ipod or something (with your weak hand), then draw and fire while they're looking at what's in your other hand (like this). Or, I could reach for my wallet, and grab my gun instead. Try to knock his gun so it's not pointing at you, draw and fire.

I think about this shit a lot. Richmond ain't the nicest place to be caught when the lights go out.

Last edited:

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX

This. My wife looked at me funny when she realized I did this by habit. Once explained she understood fully.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    Never stop at a light without leaving enough distance to maneuver if necessary. I try to avoid being in the center lane if possible, and the one closest to the curb if practical. Keep an eye out on anyone walking between cars at a stoplight, usually they're just panhandling but I always have my hand on my firearm when they get close. Driving an open Jeep can make one a bit paranoid about such things, but it's a good paranoia as it only increases my situational awareness and preparedness to act if necessary...

itchin

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Always be aware of your surroundings. If I see something that looks sketchy, my hand goes to my hip.

If they've already drawn on you, you could distract them by giving them some cash or your ipod or something (with your weak hand), then draw and fire while they're looking at what's in your other hand (like this). Or, I could reach for my wallet, and grab my gun instead. Try to knock his gun so it's not pointing at you, draw and fire.

I think about this shit a lot. Richmond ain't the nicest place to be caught when the lights go out.

Its easy to fantasize about shooting bad guys by tricking or distracting them. In a real situation you'd be shaking like a leaf scared as shit.

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    Its easy to fantasize about shooting bad guys by tricking or distracting them. In a real situation you'd be shaking like a leaf scared as shit.

Or not. All depends on the person and their training. In this case, a trained LEO who is mentally conditioned to the necessities of deadly-force as well as being confronted with deadly force. Not that there wouldn't be a fear/flight/fight response, it would just be blunted depending on training and readiness.

franzas

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 3, 2014
    Richmond, VA
    Or not. All depends on the person and their training. In this case, a trained LEO who is mentally conditioned to the necessities of deadly-force as well as being confronted with deadly force. Not that there wouldn't be a fear/flight/fight response, it would just be blunted depending on training and readiness.

Exactly. I've never had any formal training, but practicing and going over scenarios in your head can help with the mental conditioning. Will I freeze up if the SHTF? who knows. I like to think I'm prepared. So, regardless of what actually happens, my point still holds true; Be aware of your surroundings and be prepared to act.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Situational awareness is important of course. As far as getting car jacked...heck with pulling your gun on them. Hit them with the door, drive away.

Situational awareness can keep you out of all kinds of crap, from car jackings, to simple slips trips and fall.

How many people have you honesty seen walk in to signs or light poles. How many here have actually done it?

sonuvaTXgun

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Borger, TX

Another huge risk is walking across campus (or town) at night with earphones in and head down, eyes glued to the screen. I stopped doing that once I took my CHL class and only listen to music while studying or riding my bike during the day. Since I started at A&M over two years ago, we've had about five muggings on campus at night but they were alone and it was really late. It's still a bad idea, despite how surprisingly safe this town is.

-PAK-

Last edited:

Odiferous

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Evans, Georgia
    If someone gets the drop on you, all you can really do is make yourself look small, weak, and scared in the BG's eyes...all you need is for him to drop his guard for a split second.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LandenR
    Top Bottom