• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Oldbluered

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 18, 2019
    Bastrop area
    Once I was in a downtown area with a group for a tour. Since we were early we went to a nearby fast food place and en route we were approached by a panhandler. He asked for money to buy food because he had not eaten in days. I said he was in luck because we were going to buy breakfast and I would buy it for him. He declined preferring cash. I offered to buy him two breakfasts. Again, he declined and even began to demand cash. I told him I would be remiss if I just gave him cash which he might use for drugs. He said he was not a addict just a drunk. After I told him, alcohol was a drug too he just cussed me out and walked off.

This was over 25 years ago but not in Austin. It was across the street from the J. Edgar Hoover building - FBI HQ - in Washington, DC. But I have a $20 that says I would have the same result in Austin, especially if I offer them Goya foods.
    Probably get the same reaction in Austin, I have. Over 50% of "homeless" I've seen asking for money just want the cash. The wife and I would offer to buy them some food and say we had no cash but they would just get belligerent and basically demand money. They'd talk shit, I'd talk shit and offer to fight it out. The wife gets mad, do on and so forth. The next one I see asking accepts the offer of food, very thankful for the food and gets some cash too. I don't mind giving a hand up or some help to the less fortunate but if they're cracked out or a pos I'd rather light my money on fire.
    Texas SOT

Wiliamr

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Austin
    I miss the Armadillo World Headquarters and the motorcycle race at the coliseum (?) on the river as part of the Aqua Fest. Run what you brung. It was like what the 24 Hours of Lemons is now.

Before anyone says it, yes I know that means that I am old.
    I was a bouncer at Armadillo for a time.

Wiliamr

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Austin
    Old? Haha!
    I did not like it when the Armadillo World Headquarters took over that old National Guard Armory building.
    When I was in high school it was used as a roller rink, and was a great place to meet girls on the weekends.
    Armadillo was a great place to meet girls... Ok they were drunk and or stoned, but.....

Armybrat

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Armadillo was a great place to meet girls... Ok they were drunk and or stoned, but.....
    Same purpose in going to the roller rink, but the chicks were sober.... at least until we took them out somewhere later.

raggu0

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2020
    Austin, TX
    I did the same thing several times in years past with the same result. Once though at 183 and IH35 I made the same proposition to a woman who had a kid with her. I gave her the offer and she accepted. Went across the street to the Jim's that used to be there. Got her and the kid seated and ordered and I paid for the bill. They seemed grateful! If you are really hungry you will eat when given the opportunity.

+1 to this - but honestly, it's hard to tell. I-35 and 6th one time walking back home from work, I was approached for cash and when I told him I didn't have any on me, he asked for a meal to which I happily agreed and snagged him some food across the street at the Wendy's. Seemed grateful, made sure I knew his name and that he would be "paying it forward." Saw him a couple weeks later smoking and drinking on the same corner - he even recognized me!

lightflyer1

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 2, 2015
    I do not give to charities much. I believe in directly helping someone I feel needs needs help and isn't just a low life. That way all the money is used for the purpose it was needed for. I get taken advantage of every now and then, even though I am pretty picky. But I have also been right many times and really helped someone in need.

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    First place for charity: Family

Second: Friends

Third: Neighborhood

After those 3 - No one!

The so-called homeless are cancer cells in the body of society.

Top Bottom