• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AusTex

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    Since I live in SW Austin, I was lucky enough to find Gary Foster. Really nice guy, professional and timely. $25 + $2. I would definitely use him for another transfer and gunsmithing.

Any more info on Gary Foster? what part of sw? it is a shop or a home? thanks
    Military Camp

zembonez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    If ya wanna play, ya gotta pay.

30-50 bucks for somebody to put their business (and ass) on the line doesn't seem all that out of line to me. I'd guess that they would rather sell locally, but feel it's worthwhile to offer the service. It would be different if it was Joe down the street, but companies have overhead. I never got a free employee, tax bill, or light bill myself...

Seems like some want everything for free these days.

danprkr

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2010
    Pflugerville
    There's a guy in Round Rock who does transfers for 10 bucks, but rumor has it he went up to 15. I've bought several guns through him, and had several transfers done by him, and was very impressed. PM me, and I'll hook you up.

One of the reason's I don't know for sure about the price increase though is the he's always been cheaper on new stuff than paying the fee even at 10 so I just have him order whatever I want.

SteveSpread

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2009
    Austin, TX
    for TGT members i charge $10 for a regular transfer and $40 for a Class III weapon transfer. nonmembers i charge $20 and $50. and ARFCOM members pay double of what the general public pays!

SteveSpread

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2009
    Austin, TX
    just sick of the infighting there. i was in the right and i got booted from their site. and i used to do transfers for ARFCOM members for $10, and i think it is still up on their site somewhere that i do that. so when they call me and say they are ARFCOM i quote them $40. when they say their website says $10 i tell them since i was kicked off the site i charge double than if they simply hadn't mentioned it. seems fair to me.

HKaltwasser

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    The list gunbroker.com has of FFL holders is a good resource. I finally got sick and tired of the lousy service and attitude I kept getting from Reds Indoor Range that I found a guy in Buda through gunbroker.com who has a FFL and now I do all my purchases and transfers through him. Too bad for Red's because they lost a good customer when I walked out on them. I figured after spending several thousand dollars there over the last year it shouldn't be too much to expect a "thank you" once in a while. Instead they just snarl at you.
    Hi , first time poster here. I was looking for an ffl when I came across this site. My old ffl went out of business. Anyways, I totally agree about Red's,worst place to go,too expensive for transfers. They shook me down with several questions last time I took my HK53 clone with 16" barrel and fake can in to shoot. They were determined it was an SBR. It's a fake can that slides over the barrel. They wouldnt contact Sig to check on a pistol for me so I'm going with a guy from Arlington to ship it to me. Finally found the gunbroker link on here and will be contacting a guy 4 miles from me for the transfer. Good info guys ,Thanks

Sid

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 14, 2010
    Austin
    Red's has been a hit or miss for me.

If I have a choice in the matter, I avoid their North location entirely. If you were working behind the counter at a gun store and someone asks you for a box of .45 Gold Dots, would you hand the man a box of .45 ACP or .45 GAP? I took it for granted the box I bought was .45 ACP and didn't realize it till I got home it was GAP. Thinking back, I clearly remember the young guy who 'helped' me out had this smirk on his face as he handed me the box, which makes me believe he KNEW what he was doing. Fortunately, when I returned the next day, an older staff waived their return policy on ammo and swapped it out with .45 ACP.

As for their South location, they're a lot more cordial, though still a bit slow to ask if you need help. They were quite honest about my getting a better price if I privately sold my Sig556 when I inquired about trading it in toward one they had in stock.

Anyway, I've been using Jarred Jasper of Austin Gun Spot for my FFL transfers, who charges $16.25 (tax included) to CHL holders.

Austin Gun Spot LLC
    12714 Parkland Dr.
    Austin, TX 78729
    (512)219-9522
    www.austingunspot.com

Though, I think I may start using Spreadfire Arms from now on. Just a bit closer to my work. :)

Vellcrow

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2008
    Pflugerville
    Red's has been a hit or miss for me.

If I have a choice in the matter, I avoid their North location entirely. If you were working behind the counter at a gun store and someone asks you for a box of .45 Gold Dots, would you hand the man a box of .45 ACP or .45 GAP? I took it for granted the box I bought was .45 ACP and didn't realize it till I got home it was GAP. Thinking back, I clearly remember the young guy who 'helped' me out had this smirk on his face as he handed me the box, which makes me believe he KNEW what he was doing. Fortunately, when I returned the next day, an older staff waived their return policy on ammo and swapped it out with .45 ACP.

As for their South location, they're a lot more cordial, though still a bit slow to ask if you need help. They were quite honest about my getting a better price if I privately sold my Sig556 when I inquired about trading it in toward one they had in stock.

Anyway, I've been using Jarred Jasper of Austin Gun Spot for my FFL transfers, who charges $16.25 (tax included) to CHL holders.

Austin Gun Spot LLC
    12714 Parkland Dr.
    Austin, TX 78729
    (512)219-9522
    www.austingunspot.com

Though, I think I may start using Spreadfire Arms from now on. Just a bit closer to my work. :)

Sid, if you have had issues with the Red's North store, please let me know about it. I am a manager there and would like to address any problems that you may have experienced.

H&K Every Day

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2010
    Pflugerville
    I'm also looking to find a reputable/recommended FFL dealer in the Pflugerville area (just north of Austin). I pulled the list below as of 10/31/10 for the 78660 zip code. Any advice or direction would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

http://www.gunbroker.com/FFL/SearchForFFL.aspx?st=Zip%20Code&sv=78660

1) Vell Smith
    Red's Indoor Range North, Inc.
    1908 West Pecan Street
    Pflugerville, TX 78660
    Email: Click here to email me
    Phone: 512-251-1022
    Hours: 9:00 am - 9:00 pm Mon - Sun
    Long Gun Fee: $50.00
    Hand Gun Fee: $50.00

2) Brian Gleason
    Austin Tactical Firearms
    PO Box 2202
    Pflugerville, TX 78660
    Phone: 512-970-7468
    Hours: 10:00 am - 7:00 pm Tue - Sat
    Long Gun Fee: $35.00
    Hand Gun Fee: $35.00

3) Allan Schwettmann
    Schwettmann Gun Repair
    1721 Parkside Cricle
    Round Rock, TX 78664
    Other Fee: $20.00 transfer fee

4) John Plumb
    Tactical Advantage Firearms
    1316 Meadowild Drive
    Round Rock, TX 78664
    Phone: 512-239-9204
    Fax: 512-670-3671
    Hours: 10:00 am - 6:00 pm Tue - Fri; 11:00 am - 3:00 pm Sat
    Long Gun Fee: $25.00 Trans Fee for the 1st Firearm; $15.00 for any additional firearms from the SAME seller / outbound FFL.
    Hand Gun Fee: $25.00 Trans Fee for the 1st Firearm; $15.00 for any additional firearms from the SAME seller / outbound FFL.
    Other Fee: $15.00 For OUTBOUND Transfers to another FFL Dealer - PLUS actual shipping & handling costs.

5) Advanced Armorment The Cutting Edge
    113 E. Main St
    Round Rock, TX 78664
    Phone: 512-244-1175
    Fax: 512-244-1175
    Hours: Tues-Fri 10:00am-6:00pm; Sat 10:00am-5:00pm
    Other Fee: $25.00

6) G T Distributors
    2545 Brockton Dr
    Suite 100
    Austin, TX 78758
    Phone: 512-451-8298
    Fax: 512-453-6149
    Hours: 8:30 am - 6:00 pm Mon - Fri
    Long Gun Fee: $25.00 $25.00 per firearm plus 8 1/4% tax on fee only
    Hand Gun Fee: $25.00 $25.00 per firearm plus 8 1/4% tax on fee only
    Other Fee: We will call when your firearm is ready. Rush pickups add $10.00.

7) A's Shooting Supplies
    Round Rock, TX 78665
    Long Gun Fee: $15.00
    Hand Gun Fee: $15.00

8) Mark Pharr
    Tumbleweeds
    3005 Live Oak St
    Round Rock, TX 78681-1235
    Phone: 512-246-7563
    Fax: 512-245-7563
    Other Fee: $40.00

9) Bruce A. Schluderman
    Schluderman Enterprises
    1507 Glenwillow Cove
    Round Rock, TX 78681
    Phone: 512-431-4313
    Cell Phone: 512-431-4313
    Hours: 6:00pm-10:00pm Mon-Sat
    Other Fee: $20.00

red_blooded

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    central tx
    New post on an old thread- I contacted Spreadfire and was more that pleased with the service. I'll be doing transfers with him for the duration of my residence in the area.

Top Bottom