• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • W_kemp

Life is hard, it’s harder if you’re stupid
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 5, 2020
    Hugo, OK
    Hey Y'all! Finally took the time to start the process for getting a suppressor for my AR build. I have been doing a lot of upgrades and I am planning on getting a new barrel when things are actually in stock (who tf knows when that will be lol). Right now looking at a Faxon 223 wylde fluted barrel and was going to get a 16" but with the length of the suppressor I am considering going with a 14.5" and getting my dead air muzzle break pinned/welded to make it legal rifle length to cut back a bit on the length with the suppressor on.

Anyone in Austin have gunsmith recommendations for this that will do it right but not drastically overcharge?

Also, any input or opinion on 14.5 vs 16" feel free to chime in!

TIA!
    Hurley's Gold

W_kemp

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 5, 2020
    Hugo, OK
    Had a lot of stuff done by Alex at Blackjack. Always reasonable on price and does top notch work.

That was my first consideration as they are really close to me! Great to hear they do a good job at a good price I will definitely keep that in mind!

66vette

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2019
    U.S.A.
    Curious, why not hard solder it on ?
    Still can't remove it by hand & in case you ever replace the barrel, you can install it on the new barrel.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Curious, why not hard solder it on ?
    Still can't remove it by hand & in case you ever replace the barrel, you can install it on the new barrel.
    Because that's not legal.

It has to be permanent.

Keep in mind the ATF has been known to use a vise and pipe wrench with a handle extension to put this to the test.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Hey Y'all! Finally took the time to start the process for getting a suppressor for my AR build. I have been doing a lot of upgrades and I am planning on getting a new barrel when things are actually in stock (who tf knows when that will be lol). Right now looking at a Faxon 223 wylde fluted barrel and was going to get a 16" but with the length of the suppressor I am considering going with a 14.5" and getting my dead air muzzle break pinned/welded to make it legal rifle length to cut back a bit on the length with the suppressor on.

Anyone in Austin have gunsmith recommendations for this that will do it right but not drastically overcharge?

Also, any input or opinion on 14.5 vs 16" feel free to chime in!

TIA!
    I have never understood the infatuation to save an inch and a half for all that hassle.

Literally get out a tape and look at how little that is.

Get a 16" and be done with it. Or get a brace and build a pistol if you really are concerned about saving some serious length.

You could always SBR it later if having a real stock is that big of a deal.

smittyb

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Cut N Shoot
    Because that's not legal.

It has to be permanent.

Keep in mind the ATF has been known to use a vise and pipe wrench with a handle extension to put this to the test.
    LOL
    Then you better have it TIG welded around the entire circumference.
    Be sure to let the gunsmith you take it to know you want it to pass such a test.
    There is no pin and weld that could hold up to that test.

W_kemp

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 5, 2020
    Hugo, OK
    I am either getting a shorter length to help with mobility having the suppressor on it OR I will stick with a 16" 223 wylde and consider just putting a slightly longer 300 blackout barrel on my 7" 556 pistol and use that for when I want a shorter gun. Guess I have plenty of time to think about it since pretty much any good quality barrels are out of stock...

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    I have never understood the infatuation to save an inch and a half for all that hassle.

Literally get out a tape and look at how little that is.

Get a 16" and be done with it. Or get a brace and build a pistol if you really are concerned about saving some serious length.

You could always SBR it later if having a real stock is that big of a deal.
    An inch may just be an inch. In some cases, however, it can be a game-changer!

smittyb

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Cut N Shoot
    @W_kemp FWIW, my 9” KAK MR. Blonde 300 BO is actually quieter than my 14.5” P&W 300 BO, with the same suppressor.
    I’m sure it’s do to increased port noise, but just food for thought.

W_kemp

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 5, 2020
    Hugo, OK
    @W_kemp FWIW, my 9” KAK MR. Blonde 300 BO is actually quieter than my 14.5” P&W 300 BO, with the same suppressor.
    I’m sure it’s do to increased port noise, but just food for thought.

Being that i got a suppressor rated up to 300 win mag I am planning to swap out the barrel on my springfied saint victor pistol from 7" 556 to. 9" 300 blk might even try out some subsonic rounds for some really hush pew pews haha

smittyb

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Cut N Shoot
    Being that i got a suppressor rated up to 300 win mag I am planning to swap out the barrel on my springfied saint victor pistol from 7" 556 to. 9" 300 blk might even try out some subsonic rounds for some really hush pew pews haha
    Yep, I only shoot subsonic out of mine. Nice and quiet, and there are way better rounds for supersonic performance.

Top Bottom