• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Where does one acquire these "Bitcoins"? Do you trade dollars for bitcoins?

You get them as change after we using bitdollars in vending machines. Actually I think there is an exchange but probably lots of sharks in that water. I'd have to do some research before jumping in.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
    Military Camp

Phoneguy

Proud American and Infidel since 1968
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 28, 2013
    North Ft Worth
    Last edited:

RACER X

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2013
    Richmond/Houston
    It's like buying a foreign currency and then selling it later, it's very volatile so you could lose our you could gain.

Recently a guy was arrested fur laundering $ for the Russian mob

Phoneguy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 28, 2013
    North Ft Worth
    And when the FBI took down the Silk Road (drug distribution website) owner, they "took control" of 28.5 million dollars in bitcoins. The central bank doesn't want competition. The 1% doesn't want it to become a "legitimate" currency even though it kinda has. And the US government has been told by politicians' rich friends, banking industry, etc that they don't want it.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    And when the FBI took down the Silk Road (drug distribution website) owner, ...
    Browsing Silk Road was fun. I never did any business there and they weren't limited to drugs (though the volume of the drug sales dwarfed everything else put together) but the place was a fun onion to peel. I haven't visited the new Silk Road. I wonder if it's as viable as its predecessor.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    OK, so bitcoin is a commodity? Let's say that I use bitcoin to purchase a pistol and at that time the market is soft, then would the pistol cost me more? But then the seller holds his bitcoin then the the market goes up and he cashes out, would he increase his profit two ways? First he got more bitcoin from me at the time of the transaction, plus the increase in market value at the time of the exchange? That will take buying toilet paper to a whole new level!!

hardcase60

Yes to all, and the same holds true of Dollars, Pesos, Yen, Euros, and every other currency out there.

Edwarethered

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    La Marque, Texas
    Easiest way to get in is to get on one of the newer coins that you can exchange for bit coin, mine the hell out of them on your PC untill the difficulty gets too high, Convert them over to Bitcoin, then start the process over on the next new coin. Mining bitcoin with any degree of success at this point takes a computer set up far beyond what most of us here probably have.

35Remington

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Way out here
    This is a cool way to buy them. I hope it catches on: RoboCoin, The First $20,000 Bitcoin ATM, Now Available For Pre-Order | TechCrunch

RoboCoin, a kiosk that allows you to trade Bitcoin for other currencies, is now available for pre-order and should be shipping for “Fall 2013.” Lest you decide to become the Bitcoin bank for your neighborhood, remember that the machine costs $20,000 ($18,500 for early birds) and can currently trade BTC for USD.
    The device is essentially a hardened, ATM-like machine with biometric time locks and privacy-shielded touchscreen. It can accept and dispense cash (and is “International denomination-ready”) and is Wi-Fi and 3G-enabled.
    According to a blog posting the team is ready to change the way Bitcoin is bought and sold.
    “RoboCoin represents a compelling investment for business owners,” they write. “They’ll earn a percentage of transactions and attract Bitcoin’s loyal user-base, while also offering unprecedented access and ease-of-adoption to Bitcoin newcomers. Furthermore every Robocoin on the market increases Bitcoin liquidity and usage, putting upward pressure on the digital currency’s valuation, awareness, and legitimacy.”
    Robocoin first surfaced in in San Jose at a Bitcoin conference and is directly competing with Lamassu Bitcoin Ventures Bitcoin ATM. This model connects directly to Mt. Gox or Bitstamp, two BTC exchanges, for instant funding.
    Having a real, working ATM will add a considerably energy to the Bitcoin market. While these units are arguably expensive (a cheap ATM tops out at about $3,000) it’s clear that the back end is what matters here and not the box. Wheeling one of these into, say, a hacker conference or other con would get you plenty of traffic and improve the standing of Bitcoin in general. Once BTC to other currency transactions are commonplace, it’s clear that cryptocurrencies may have even more of a fighting chance.

Nate C

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2008
    Black Cat Ridge
    Last week the BTC-to-USD exchange rate was at $895. This morning it was at $105. This afternoon it was back at $695. If you are into currency speculation, you'd be better off sticking with the Iraqi Dinar.

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    Silk Road 2 Hacked: Entire Bitcoin Wallet Drained, $2.7 Million Stolen

“It takes the integrity of all of us to push this movement forward,” Defcon said. “Whoever you are, you still have a chance to act in the interest of helping this community.”
    “Being a part of this movement might be the most defining thing you do with your entire life. Don’t trade that for greed, comrades.”

Yeah... that'll get it back!!! :beat:

Phoneguy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 28, 2013
    North Ft Worth
    How would I go about browsing silk road? Or is it something I should just avoid altogether

Deepnet or Deep Web is the 95% of the web that the sheeple don't go to. I use a Linux machine. Too many vulnerabilities with Windows. There is much discussion about when browsing Deepnet that nefarious folks are scanning for access to any computer attached. Most folks disable their microphones and disable/unplug their webcams. It's not a bad place but there are more than a few "bad" areas.

Infographic_deepweb2.png

Deep Web - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    https://sites.google.com/site/howtoaccessthedeepnet/working-links-to-the-deep-web
    https://www.torproject.org/
    INFOGRAPHIC: Exploring the Deep Web with Semantic Search

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    How would I go about browsing silk road? Or is it something I should just avoid altogether
    How far can I boil it down and still keep you safe?

Silk Road is a hidden service (aka onion site) accessible only via anonymizing, encrypted routing software.

The easiest intro that's also safe would be:
    1. Download TAILS from https://tails.boum.org/download/index.en.html
    2. Burn it to a CD.
    3. Boot your machine from that CD.
    4. Browse. For destinations, see tip #2, below.
    Tips and caveats.
    1. By default, TAILS does not touch your hard drive. You won't be able to save data to it or access it while using TAILS. Until you understand the risks, use all default settings. When you feel you're ready to mess with that default, come back and ask me why I think it's necessary to downgrade to version 21 to keep finer-grained control of your online safety. You may decide I'm being alarmist and ignore me but at least let me give you some input.
    2. The easiest source of initial links is Wikipedia. After booting into TAILS, look up the Wikipedia article on TOR. (So you'll recognize it when you see it again, it's here: Tor (anonymity network) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ) At the end of the article (here: Tor (anonymity network) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ), there are onion links to both The Hidden Wiki and Silk Road. From those two starting points, you can find links to take you pretty much anywhere on the onion network.
    3. Never use TOR to visit any web sites on the clearnet where you have an identifiable presence. Never identify your real-world self while on any darknet. Keep your darknet and clearnet lives entirely separate.
    That's as brief as I can be and still feel that I won't be getting anyone in any trouble.

When the onion network and router get to be too simple and mainstream for you, come back and ask me about I2P and Freenet. ;)

ETA -
    1. Onion routing is slow; do not expect onion sites to pop up in your browser like on clearnet. It's more like using a 300bps analog modem.
    2. Regarding Freenet, if anyone reading is active, don't ask me for trust. I don't run private. I don't want your node identification and won't provide mine. I shouldn't have mentioned Freenet but I couldn't resist the joke.

Last edited:
    Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Buster1979
    Top Bottom