• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PTR

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    I have a few firearms that I need to sell privately and was thinking of selling them at a gun show as that worked well for me previously in TN.
    I am aware of the need for a receipt/paper trail and act with due diligence when selling my items privately, but as I recently moved here to TX I am not yet aware if it is ok to sell at shows legally as a private individual, and/or is it bad etiquette that may get me thrown out. Both were fine in TN but as I tell myself everyday this isn't TN, thankfully.

So, can I take a couple of rifles and a handgun and walk about the show and expect any bites?

Or should I advertise them on here or in the paper?

Sorry for such a basic question but there are sufficient differences between the two states that I don't want to make a mistake.

Thanks.

Oh, the firearms in question are a PS90, Glock 34 and a 10/22, if that has any bearing on matters.

If appropriate I will be posting them in the 'for sale' section here soon enough.

Thanks, Pete.
    Venture Surplus ad

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    Private sales at gun shows are fine. They give the politicians ammo to holler about non-existent "gun show loop holes" to get anti's votes.

PTR

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Private sales at gun shows are fine. They give the politicians ammo to holler about non-existent "gun show loop holes" to get anti's votes.

Thanks, I thought as much but didn't want to show up and find out the hard way.

nalioth

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Houston Metro
    Private sales in Texas are fine, providing you don't knowingly sell to a restricted person (felon, non-resident-in-certain-cases, etc). If the prospective buyer tells you they're not restricted when you ask, you've done your part as far as the law is concerned.

PTR

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    "I am aware of the need for a receipt/paper trail..."

There is no need for a paper trail when you sell FTF

Well for my own peace of mind I have always made note of the model/make/serial number and asked to copy the buyer's DL number. Just in case somewhere down the line they had the gun stolen and used in a crime and it was traced back to me as the last known owner.

Then I at least have something to show that it was no longer my firearm. Maybe not legally binding but I've seen enough people do this to adopt it myself.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    Since you are new to Texas, I was just making sure you knew it was not required here.

I have let people see my DL to prove I am who I say I am, and write down my name and address.....but giving them a copy of your DL number is inviting some identity theft. I have worked numerous cases in which this has happened because someone had the DL number printed on their checks.

Identity theft is huge....beyond what anyone can imagine....especially in border states.

metalbot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2008
    PTR - I'm always looking for inexpensive 10/22's to use as loaners for Appleseed shoots. I don't have enough posts to PM you. Can you PM me?

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    PTR - I'm always looking for inexpensive 10/22's to use as loaners for Appleseed shoots. I don't have enough posts to PM you. Can you PM me?

Metalbot, you might also consider the Mossberg Plinkster (it's a .22lr of course). I don't know what kind of quality they are but Academy just had a sale and they were only $99 a piece. ;) Regular price was still only $109-119 I think.

PTR

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    I have to decide on a price for that 10/22.

It has a Hogue stock and a (cheap) BSA red dot, no original stock.
    I upgraded the cheaper internal components but nothing major.
    Case and two bricks of decent ammo.
    Was think about $100 but will see what the Gun Show brings.

Millerwb

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 11, 2008
    Bryan
    I have to decide on a price for that 10/22.

It has a Hogue stock and a (cheap) BSA red dot, no original stock.
    I upgraded the cheaper internal components but nothing major.
    Case and two bricks of decent ammo.
    Was think about $100 but will see what the Gun Show brings.

PTR, I would give you the $100 for the 10/22 and ammo. You can email me and we can arrange a FTF.

Brian

PTR

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Well, I didn't mean to make this into a 'for sale' thread - apologies for that.

The 10/22 sold today so I guess that was a good price... ;)

I got my TX license the first week I was here, didn't smile for the photo either (divorce blues).

bikerbill

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2008
    Lago Vista
    I sold two guns using the want ads right here in Texas Gun Talk ... FTF sales are fun, fast, easy and, as others have said, are perfectly legal in TX ...

ASC2

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Irving, TX
    I have a Plinkster 802 bolt action. It is a 10rd mag feed LR shooting machine.
    Picked it up at Dick's for $99 on sale, regular price is $119.99.
    I am currently teaching my son to shoot with it. I would highly recommend it for the Appleseed shoots. The stock is synthetic and will take a beating and being a bolt action it is a piece of cake to clean.

poperb

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 21, 2008
    Well for my own peace of mind I have always made note of the model/make/serial number and asked to copy the buyer's DL number. Just in case somewhere down the line they had the gun stolen and used in a crime and it was traced back to me as the last known owner.

Then I at least have something to show that it was no longer my firearm. Maybe not legally binding but I've seen enough people do this to adopt it myself.

I actually had a conversation with two ATF agents once about private sales when I was stationed in Florida. Paperwork might protect you BUT it also tends to make you look like a "dealer". They actually recommended to me to not keep paperwork unless you have a FFL or C&R(collect not to sell-but you got to have that log).

Maintaining paperwork gave them the impression that you are selling guns for a profit(or some type of business) and not as a hobby. Take it as you will- that is what I was told.

corky1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    The gun show is legal as well as alot of local free siteson the net.I dont have enough yet to post but will when I do .Good Luck on your sales

Top Bottom