• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    If you are not familiar with Lone Star, they have two pistol firing lines with yardage varying to 25 Yards, and one 100 Yard Rifle line. They have plenty of parking at the entrance.

When

January 5th - Monday

11:00 AM

Cost

There is a $5 registration fee for first timers. All-day shooting is $12. 1-year memberships can be purchased for $65.

What is Lone Star

Lone Star is an outdoor firing range located near Lockhart, TX. for long-guns and pistols.

Lone Star allows drawing from holsters, rapid fire, drills, etc. so long as you are safe. FMJ is allowed, but I am not sure about tracer, AP, Incendiary. Best to leave the fancy stuff at home so we don't set the range on fire, literally.

Full auto is not allowed due to berm constraints. Other items such as SBRs, SBSs, suppressors, etc. are allowed. Be sure to bring your tax stamps!

How to get to Lone Star

Lone Star Gun Range Directions

3795 Dry Creek Rd.
    Lockhart, TX 78644

MapQuest Maps - Driving Directions - Map -- Enter the above address, and your address, for specific directions.
    http://www.texasshooting.com/TexasCHL_Forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=19188
    Lynx Defense

rodbender

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2008
    Elgin, Texas
    Everyone needs to see aboutr getting a female shooter to come. This reporter is female and would feel more comfortable with some around. She also needs to see that it's not only the guys in society that like to kill paper.

rodbender

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2008
    Elgin, Texas
    We need to take it easy on her and let her and her husband watch to see if she wants to shoot anything in particular. We need to get him to shoot a little bit. He's probably anti-gun as well.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I think it's important to help them both understand that all anyone has to do is follow the four golden rules, and there will never be ANY accidents/negligence with firearms. It seems to me like a lot of people that dislike firearms, part of the reason why is they seem to feel as if the firearm is almost like dynamite and could just go off at any time. I think it would go a long way towards easing people's fears to help them understand that four simple things will prevent any accident from ever happening.

ronf28

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2008
    Georgetown
    so this is an education day for this reporter lady but surely there will be fun and education for "us" as well, right? i am new here and have never attended a "meet and greet" before. i am expecting a pretty laid back environment with lots of different types of people there for a common love for firearms, but what else is to be expected? am i to understand there are only a couple shooting lanes? can we pull our trucks up close for tailgate storage or prepare a large range bag for moving guns around during lane sharing? i dont know maybe i need to search for something about previous meet and greet happenings for a little more heads up of what to expect. thanks ahead for any info.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    There are plenty of booths at Lone Star. You will need a range bag, but the cars aren't that far away.

It's real easy, just hanging out at the range and trying out new toys.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    so this is an education day for this reporter lady but surely there will be fun and education for "us" as well, right? i am new here and have never attended a "meet and greet" before. i am expecting a pretty laid back environment with lots of different types of people there for a common love for firearms, but what else is to be expected? am i to understand there are only a couple shooting lanes? can we pull our trucks up close for tailgate storage or prepare a large range bag for moving guns around during lane sharing? i dont know maybe i need to search for something about previous meet and greet happenings for a little more heads up of what to expect. thanks ahead for any info.

Hello sir. Yep, it's definitely a laid back environment. Usually everyone is very nice, and most people are usually willing to let others try their guns out as well. You are more than welcome to shoot all 2 of the guns I currently own. ;) lol If anyone is in need of any help, pointers, education, etc there are usually a handful of knowledge people there or moderately experienced people that are glad to help out. I'm not all that experienced myself, however I love to help anyone out that I can. If you need any pointers with improving your skill with handguns, I have a few tips and tricks I can show you that have helped me out immensely.

As far as the range goes, you can't pull up close to the firing line, however it's just a very short walk from the parking lot (maybe 150ft or so). Here's a link to some pics of the range to give you a better idea of how it looks:

http://www.texasguntalk.com/forums/...-range-report-lockhart-bbq-capitol-texas.html

Range Photos

Also, just fyi but all the lanes now how cover over them (the pics are a bit old).

ronf28

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2008
    Georgetown
    well heck yeah that looks pretty dang allright! not to much different from astro shooting range. i am going to try and make this meet since im off that day. i am also absolutely ok with sharing firearms with safe people who dont mind taking a quick second to learn the operation if they have never handled that particular firearm in the past. (not that they are really all that difficult but you understand) so yeah should be fun. hopefully i will have a new sti gp6 by then to show off. im workin on my ffl today. know someone who still has 8 for $590 if anyone is interested.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I'll probably be putting a few rounds through my Mosin at least, and I'm sure some others will probably bring some rifles.

markas70

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2008
    Austin
    Do you think yall will still be there around 2. I get off at 1:30 at the airport and come stright down. But if you dont think it will still be going on Im not going to load up the truck with all my stuff and take it to work with me. I would be bringing my M1 Garand,a XD 9 mm,XDm 9mm and a AR-15 and Sig mosq 22.

Furyataurus

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Helotes,TX
    I'll shoot it till my shoulder falls off! Almost like last time!!! lol. I'm bringing what I brought last time and might be able to bring(steal) my little bro's G20!

M4Dogg

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2009
    *reads this post*

*requests off work for Monday*

*cleans firearms*

I was actually just planning to go there this weekend anyways, but I will hold out and just go Monday if that's alright with y'all... I'm a n00bie on this forum so go easy on me. (am usually on ar15.com, texasshooting, and a few others)

Santa seems to think I was a good boy this year so I will be bringing some new toys I need to test out as well..

I will ask the wifey if she wants to join in on the fun - she doesn't work anyways - although I will have to get her registered down there, so hopefully someone will be around then..

Like the others said, LoneStar is a nice range - the rifle range is now covered and everything is really nice. It is very laid back and most people I see back their vehicles up to the rifle range if there is room. You do your own cease fires and everyone has to chip in and help keep things running smoothly and safely. It is a good, friendly atmosphere. Matt and the others are really friendly, and they also teach classes on site as well (like chl-texas.com). They are building an NFA range and also are looking for some help right now in the form of grass seed, so if you know anyone, talk to them about it - as you will see, they need quite a bit (and it costs quite a bit for that much seed/rolls). :(

They also rent guns and sell on consignment. They will have some ammo and targets too, but I highly recommend you build yourself a wooden target brace, as they only have a few (that aren't blown to bits). And it sounds like there will be a bunch of us.. :) I took some 1x2s, and made a square on two legs, and then stapled cardboard or denser foamboard to it and then stapled like 8 targets to that, kind of like this: http://www.firearmstactical.com/images/Target_Stand_with_Brace.jpg

Regards,
    Kevin

Top Bottom