• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    If you are not familiar with Lone Star, they have two pistol firing lines with yardage varying to 25 Yards, and one 100 Yard Rifle line. They have plenty of parking at the entrance.

When

March 22nd - Sunday

11:00 AM

Cost

There is a $5 registration fee for first timers. All-day shooting is $12. 1-year memberships can be purchased for $65.

What is Lone Star

Lone Star is an outdoor firing range located near Lockhart, TX. for long-guns and pistols.

Lone Star allows drawing from holsters, rapid fire (pistols only), drills, etc. so long as you are safe. FMJ is allowed, but I am not sure about tracer, AP, Incendiary. Best to leave the fancy stuff at home so we don't set the range on fire, literally.

Full auto is not allowed due to berm constraints. Other items such as SBRs, SBSs, suppressors, etc. are allowed. Be sure to bring your tax stamps!

How to get to Lone Star

Lone Star Gun Range Directions

3795 Dry Creek Rd.
    Lockhart, TX 78644

MapQuest Maps - Driving Directions - Map -- Enter the above address, and your address, for specific directions.
    Guns International

M4Dogg

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2009
    Count me in!

Anyone want to BBQ (this will be running through lunchtime)? (Will Matt let us??)

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Count me in!

Anyone want to BBQ (this will be running through lunchtime)? (Will Matt let us??)

We'll double check on the bbq pit, but heck yeah! Worst case scenario if the pit will already be in use downtown Lockhart is close by and there is plenty of great bbq there.

M4Dogg

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2009
    I was at LSGR this morning. It was pretty empty, but hella windy outside so I didn't stay very long. It looked like they are building some new burms there on the North side - I wonder if that is going to be for the NFA range (rumor has it Matt is going to add that).

Also, everything is still dirt. I was talking with Matt a while back and they need grass seed but it is $$$$. If anyone knows of some real cheap, or better, wants to donate, PLEASE DO!! :)

Also, I will remind everyone - LSGR has lots of RR Ties setup for wood framed target stands. They do not have a lot of target stands handy, though, so please make/bring your own. You can take some scrap 1x2 or even 2x4 I believe, and make a square with two legs. Then staple/nail some cardboad or plywood across it, and staple gun some targets to that. It works great and helps improve the range if you don't mind leaving it there (I usually take mine home because I want to further examine my shot patterns).

See you guys on the 22nd!

M4Dogg

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2009
    *bump* Who all else is going?

I just got a new toy which needs to be tested out and broken in..

technoronin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    I am going to attempt to be there. Might not happen. If I do make it, I will have a new to me Mosin Nagant that I haven't gotten out to the range yet and I could use some help with it.

CALI

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 19, 2008
    Round Rock
    I will not make it due to work related issues. I'm currently in Tahoe and will not be back untill Wednesday.

I've been looking forward to this meeting and I heared a lot of good reviews about this range. I will catch you guys next time.

ENJOY!

usmcpmi

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    Central Texas
    I plan to be there. Probably bring the AR and the Browning. Of course the 1911. Anyone have any more info about the butts area, and what type of target frame to bring?? If so, I can put together a couple on Saturday and bring them with me.
    MG

M4Dogg

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2009
    I plan to be there. Probably bring the AR and the Browning. Of course the 1911. Anyone have any more info about the butts area, and what type of target frame to bring?? If so, I can put together a couple on Saturday and bring them with me.
    MG

The bases/holders are basically 2x4 laid horizontally against RR ties. There's enough room for 2x4 legs to a frame, although a lot of folks use 1x2 and there's usually scrap wood and rocks to make up the difference.

I have a 1x2 frame I will bring but I'll probably be making one out of some 2x4s next. I basically just made a square with two long legs, so it stands in the base pretty nicely. Then I staple-gunned some cardboard across the square opening, and stapled some targets to that. I also made some mini targets which are much more portable and can be stapled anywhere practically, like even to the edges of existing targets.

I hope this helps!

I'll be there tomorrow as well with the XD, Ruger, and AR-15... I'm hitting Cabela's beforehand, because my order is in (dry box full of .223) so it should be a good turnout and a fun time...

je2000

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2009
    What's the total count so far on board members attending?

Picked up a sight tool at the Austin gun show today. I want to learn how to shoot the SKS as it was intended (without a $30 red-dot).

phatcyclist

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I am going to attempt to be there. Might not happen. If I do make it, I will have a new to me Mosin Nagant that I haven't gotten out to the range yet and I could use some help with it.

About the only long gun I have "plinking" rounds in right now is my Mosin. I will bring it down with it's new trigger installed and internal polishing done.

M4Dogg

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2009
    What's the total count so far on board members attending?

Picked up a sight tool at the Austin gun show today. I want to learn how to shoot the SKS as it was intended (without a $30 red-dot).

Sounds like about 6-8 of us for sure, hopefully more.

See ya in a bit!

je2000

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2009
    Sure was windy! Thanks BigD for the help with the SKS. Someone brought a a .50 cal towards the end, been wanting to see one in action for a while now. Cool stuff, especially that machine gun too...nice!

Top Bottom