• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • texas_teacher

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2009
    South Korea
    Okay, so here's the deal. The meet will be at the Rudy's west location at 6pm on a Saturday. That should give the folks coming from out of town plenty of time hopefully. Here's the address and map:

Rudy's "Country Store" and Bar-B-Q | Real Texas Bar-B-Q

2451 Capital of Texas Highway
    Austin, TX 78746
    (512) 329-5554

I'm going to aim for either May 30th or June 6th. It will take me just a few days to determine which day will work best.

Awesome I'll try to be there... that is if it doesn't conflict with the Derailers rocking out at the Broken Spoke...
    ARJ Defense ad

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Yep, anyone is welcome. For the most part, it sounds like a majority of us are fairly inexperienced here, so for any of those that consider themselves "newbies", don't feel bad as most of us are on the same learning curve. ;) Anyone that is experienced is welcome too, as we'd appreciate being able to learn from you. ;)

GlennEE

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Austin
    Been lurking for a while; this sounds like exactly what I need. I bought a couple of pistols years ago, and at the time couldn't afford instruction in anything. And there was >nothing< like the internet forums I'm seeing now. By reading them, I've found out I needed to be doing some things I wasn't doing, a lot of other things I didn't even know were important, and some things I was doing but doing wrong. But reading is not enough.
    So, I'd like to join in and learn how to handle these things properly.
    BTW, I'm S. Austin and will be trying to visit Lone Star Gun Range soon. That's actually what got me onto the site and this thread to begin with - looking for a range where I could practice more than standing still and slowly shooting holes in a target. I'd like to start rapidly shooting holes in those targets :) from various starting conditions.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I'm not quite a newbie, but I'm definitely not a pro. I can teach the basics of tactical carbine or pistol shooting. I've shot in quite a few tactical competitions for both, and picked up a few tricks and pointers here and there.

I'm most familiar with the AK.

I've also spent a bit of time reading up on the psychological side of shooting to survive. Check out On Killing if you get a chance. Gives good insights into what it takes, and you can pick out some training tips to get your mindset right. ;)

I wanted to mention that one of the great things about the learn/teach/learn idea is that one of the best ways I've found to really get good at something is to teach it.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Been lurking for a while; this sounds like exactly what I need. I bought a couple of pistols years ago, and at the time couldn't afford instruction in anything. And there was >nothing< like the internet forums I'm seeing now. By reading them, I've found out I needed to be doing some things I wasn't doing, a lot of other things I didn't even know were important, and some things I was doing but doing wrong. But reading is not enough.
    So, I'd like to join in and learn how to handle these things properly.
    BTW, I'm S. Austin and will be trying to visit Lone Star Gun Range soon. That's actually what got me onto the site and this thread to begin with - looking for a range where I could practice more than standing still and slowly shooting holes in a target. I'd like to start rapidly shooting holes in those targets :) from various starting conditions.

Thanks for joining us.

Burt Gummer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Williamson County
    I am new to the forum but not to shooting and this sounds like a great idea.
    If my schedule permits I will be there.

Originally I was a rifle guy but I have moved to a handgun type of guy now since I carry daily.

CarbonCycles

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    I'm still not clear. Is this a pistol, carbine or mixed-bag training? One day or multiple days? Any proficiency level to attend or will there be levels 1 - 3?

I'd love to come out to train with you guys, but a bit more information might be useful in advance.

TIA...

sig556

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2009
    Austin

Is there gonna be a certain spot everyone is going to meet at?

Yep, it's June 6th at 6pm at Rudy's. Here's the details:

http://www.texasguntalk.com/forums/...-get-training-group-together-6.html#post61162[url]http://www.texasguntalk.com/forums/events/6166-austin-people-surrounding-areas-lets-get-training-group-together-6.html#post61162[/URL]

We'll grab some dinner of course, hang out awhile. Everyone can get acquainted, and maybe we can also discuss some details further about getting this thing organized. My ultimate goal was to basically turn this into sort of a regular group thing where we meet regularly maybe once a month or a few times a month and just do stuff related to training. Even if it's simple, inexpensive stuff like airsoft force on force drills or simply watching training vids, I figure it would be nice to regularly do that stuff with a group of people. Of course nothing beats hands on training, but at the least doing some of these simple things we could still get the "book smarts" side of things out of the way, build a little muscle memory going through the motions, etc so that time spent in an actual professional training course will be that much more effective.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I will be there in my black Sig shirt, and heck I'll even wear my Sig hat as well. It won't be hard to figure out who's who. ;)

Carboncycles, my whole idea for this sort of group was to try and have it encompass as much as possible with just about any "training" aspect anyone can think of. Be it pistols, carbines, long guns, shotguns, knives, hand to hand, etc etc. Like I said, I myself am not really "experienced". I can hold my own with pistols, though I still have plenty to learn. Basically the idea with this group was to just have people meet, regardless of skill level, and for the whole thing to be sort of a melting pot. That's what made this country great. I figure having a wide variety of people meeting up and participating, hopefully we will also have a number of people bringing their own skills to the table for everyone to learn from. It goes back to the whole "toolbox" analogy. Their is a wide variety of techniques out there for any given weapon, and almost always there is no one right way, so it's good to learn a variety and treat that variety as "tools for the toolbox". Some are worth using, some aren't, some work better for certain situations, etc etc. Hopefully, if we can get a solid group together that wants to participate, what I would like to do is see about eventually hosting some actual professional instructors (I already have a short list of people I'd like to train with) so we could get some truly top notch instruction. I have found a few instructors that are very inexpensive to host, which is great considering cost is always a factor most of us have on our minds lately.

So does that make sense everyone? Basically I would like this group to be as open-minded as possible. Any professionals, instructors, etc that would like to participate would be gladly welcomed as it's always good for people to learn from a pro. A bunch of like-minded people sitting around, discussing techniques, practicing, experimenting with different techniques, etc can go a long way and still has educational benefits. Nothing beats personal instruction from a pro, but the whole point was we just don't have to have an alpha male instructor with us ALL the time that is in charge at every meeting. We could use it as sort of a "study group" much of the time and still learn things.

CarbonCycles

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    Sig, I appreciate the willingness to accommodate such a large event, but I think you may want to throttle some of the ideas back. Too many folks with a wide range of skill sets could be asking for trouble...JMHO.

usmcpmi

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    Central Texas
    Carbon... My understanding was for this to be a introduction and if too wide ranging, then to form sub groups to continue training in seperate areas. With cross-over training between groups as desired by each member....JM2c MG

rdero

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    I think the initial meeting is going to be kind of a brainstorming, organizing and introductions. I'm pretty sure there will be some interesting ideas brought up. I just hope all ego's will be left at the door. The point I think is just getting together, havng some fun and learning from everybody. You can always weed out the psyco's later.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Carbon... My understanding was for this to be a introduction and if too wide ranging, then to form sub groups to continue training in seperate areas. With cross-over training between groups as desired by each member....JM2c MG

That is an excellent idea too, and I had considered that. My main thing is I just wanted to see a group or groups of people actually get out and start training in some manner.

Don't worry Carboncycles, I'm not looking to rip a hole in the space time continuum by having too wide a range of skill sets for everyone to focus on. ;) Initially, once organized a bit more, we could maybe focus on the common stuff like pistols and carbine skill sets first. Then maybe start getting some separate groups together for other things, maybe combine groups occasionally, etc. Anyways, we can discuss all that at the dinner and figure out what will work.

Burt Gummer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Williamson County

I would agree a generic intro and get together is more appropriate instead of lining a bunch of folks up at the range with firepower.
    I am not comfortable with jumping into live fire with folks I have not met and have no background on.

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    heyyy im in new braunfels. you drive ill navigate and we can split the gas :)

Flash Ninja

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I don't post here much but I'm in. I do IDPA and am OK with Carbine and AK. Could learn allot more. I post more on SigForum under the same name. I will be there with a black Sig Hat. ;)

Top Bottom