• SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Like the title says, I have been thinking it would be nice to get a training group of sorts together for the Austin and surrounding areas. What I was thinking about is it would be nice to get a group of local people together to basically get some more regular meetings of some sort going with the ultimate goal being the furthering of the group member's firearms knowledge and proficiency. Doesn't have to necessarily be anything major. We could do things as simple and inexpensive as have BBQ's regularly, sit back, relax, watch firearms training videos (I have quite a few) and chat. We could also try running some force on force drills with airsoft guns (or even incorporate some teamwork/team movement into it). We could also just have plain old shooting range meets. We could even get a group together to go attend some of the Appleseed events or other firearms training events in Texas. Basically the point is, I'd like to get some sort of regular group together just so we can start actually doing something. It's rather boring doing this stuff by one's self, and it really helps refine the skills to have others around to critique and weed out the "training scars", bad habits, or what have you. I'm not experienced by any means, and it doesn't matter if any of you interested aren't as well. The most important thing is getting out and doing something, basically attempting to learn. Even if time or money is an issue and you can't afford to make it to the shooting range much if at all, like I said we could do things as simple as watching training vids and going through the motions with airsoft guns. Nothing beats the real thing, but it's better to do some form of training as opposed to none at all.

So let's hear it people! Who's interested? If anyone has any ideas or input, please post up and let us know. I would like to see us set something up like this to be much more of a regular thing that local folks can attend regularly and can gain some knowledge from. Any open-minded experts would be gladly welcomed. :)

*Update* I just created a social group on the site to help facilitate this. If you are interested, please join it and post up here so we can get the ball rolling: http://www.texasguntalk.com/forums/groups/austin-firearms-training-group.html

*Update* The first meet and greet is June 6th @ 6pm at the Rudy's located here in Austin:

2451 Capital of Texas Highway
    Austin, TX 78746
    (512) 329-5554

http://rudys.com/SearchResults.aspx?GeoLat=30.4156188&GeoLong=-97.8014482&distance=15

Vellcrow

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2008
    Pflugerville
    I was part of a group like this in Phoenix. The biggest advantage out there was the open desert where we could actually train (with multiple targets/shooting angles) and learning to utilize our load bearing gear.

I am very interested, now that I have been in the area for a year, and know my way around a bit.

gladi8r

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    Troy Tx
    I live in the temple area just north of austin and would be interested in this, I have some knowledge to offer the group but probably learning alot more.

kerryp

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Bastrop
    I'm in Bastrop and would be interested in something like this. I know how to shoot, but have never had any formal training, so I might not have much to offer, but it would be good to get out more often and develop better skills.

TSU45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2008
    San Marcos, Tx
    I was just thinking last night that it would be cool to build some steel targets similar to the ones Magpul uses in their dvd. Could have some fun with them at Lonestar on a slow weekday.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    I wish I could drag everyone up into the country where we hunt pigs. There is a nice field that's about 400 yards by 400 yards that'd be perfect for this. It's not my property, so I don't think we can do something like this.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    There are a few things we should really work on first. First off, we need to work on a place to meet. If someone has a decent place to meet, maybe a decent amount of property, etc and if they'd be willing to allow us to meet that would be very helpful. Like I said, we could even do things as simple as watch some training vids, go through the motions with airsoft guns, etc if none of us have enough property to actually live fire. What I'm envisioning is it would be nice if we could find a place we could meet regularly, and regularly hold meetings every other week or once a month or something and watch a new training vid every time or do other stuff as well. Basically something we can do a bit more regularly than the occasional range meet every 3-6 months. Lets start brainstorming people and see what we can come up with. There is always the option that, if no one is able to host us at their place, we could possibly find some business with a meeting room that has media capabilities (projector, tv, etc) and rent it out until we can find something else. Anyone have any ideas? It sounds like most of us here are probably in the same boat, meaning not very experienced, though that's not a problem. What I would like to ultimately turn this into is a large enough group that maybe we could host some instructors for some training classes in or near the Austin area eventually.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    I don't know were Texas1911 lives, but if we could talk to the person that owns that property that might be a start. I think we should probably look for some thing with enough room that we could do some "dry runs" either with air soft guns or even small pistol sized water guns would work. Maybe at someones home, I'd volunteer but my single wide is much to small for this kind of thing. Maybe a local gun range would help out? Might step on there toes a bit tho. Anyway you said brain storm, so here is a brain far....I mean storm.

sig556

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2009
    Austin
    I am in.
    Unfortunately my house is in a subdivision so that is out, but I will be willing to help out any way I can. TSU45 you mentioned building steel targets. I can weld and would be willing to help with that...Its a start.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    I am in.
    Unfortunately my house is in a subdivision so that is out, but I will be willing to help out any way I can. TSU45 you mentioned building steel targets. I can weld and would be willing to help with that...Its a start.
    +1 I would help cut/weld the steel targets.I'm gold with an oxyacetylene set-up.
    And I would also think a subdivision would be fine for training video review, and probably the water gun dry runs as far as you're presentation of the weapon and utilizing cover.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Like I said, we could do something as simple as just watching a training vid, in which case we really don't need much room for anything as we could just hang out, cook some BBQ, watch a vid, etc.

As far as steel targets go, just remember the whole ricochet thing can become an issue depending on the distance used and ammo. For close range stuff you'd pretty much have to use frangible ammo.

usmcpmi

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    Central Texas
    This sounds like a reaonable idea. What type of "training" are you thinking of?? Squad tatics? One on one stuff? Or just getting used to working together as a group? I have a pistol range on-site, that will handle about 5 shooters at a time. 40 yds right now with plans to move it out to at least 50yds. Some steel plate targets, some target frames for paper. I live between Elgin and Bastrop, so not too far from Austin. I would like to meet at a local range first to get a "feel" for the group before bringing a bunch of people to the house that I don't know...yet! I also have tools to build steel plate targets if needed. Plasma cutter, wire welder and some stock steel. I guess the first thing we need to do is plan a time and place to make that first meeting. The Lone Star Range worked out well for me last time. Weekends are usually good for me. MG

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    As far as steel targets go, just remember the whole ricochet thing can become an issue depending on the distance used and ammo. For close range stuff you'd pretty much have to use frangible ammo.

I say we spice it up a notch and use nothing but steel core Wolf.

Bring your kevlar boys! :sign0101:

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Count me in!

I've thought it would be cool to have something like this. One idea I had was that some of the group could go hit a class, then come back and teach what they learned to the rest; that would save everybody money in the long run.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom